1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Actually it is 43mm thick, so Tele thickness really. The body lines make it look so sleek. This is one of my three models I build and still improving. I might settle for a final version next year.

2. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

A soprano uke that is a late Mother's Day gift and my 2013 challenge build. It's getting refinished and some new binding, and I'm debating between re-shaping the neck, which I've already started on, and just making a new neck. I think I'm leaning toward the latter. There's just too many little things wrong with that current one beyond the shape... However I do love the overall aesthetics of this neck.

Edit: also considering adding a neck pickup if I can find a way to wire in a switch that is not too obtrusive on the inlay, but also not in a really strange location. Thoughts?

Also, I'm assuming it's possible to wire a push/pull where push is volume and pull is tone?

3. deanr22

deanr22 TDPRI Member

Ash tele deluxe with mahogany racing stripes...

Attached Files:

4. Kent Wilkinson

Kent Wilkinson Tele-Meister

Resonator 3 string CBG.

Attached Files:

5. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

This cocobolo rosewood and birdseye maple P6 is getting close.

[​IMG]

6. Model T

Model T Tele-Holic

I use the "scary sharp" method described here with this honing guide. I usually try to flatten the plane body, too, if it needs it. Cheap/old ones always seem to be not quite flat.

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

image-2157718321.jpg

My first stab at an "original" design. Heavily influenced by Gibson, Fender & Yaron. Two prototypes one swamp ash one mahogany both one piece slabs. Maple necks that I resawed and will get Gil's Bolt S style truss rod and the maple board glued back on.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool, Mark. I like the body style, and especially like that "squashed bullseye" grain pattern on the ash one. Any decisions yet on finish for them?

9. Mark Grant

Thanks Rick! I'm leaning toward a blond for the ash and an SG style red for the mahogany. Those are the two colors that my mind automatically jumps to for these woods. Although a three color burst is not out of the equation for the ash yet...
    Thank you again for approving the body design. It's really hard getting out of the box. I think I like it too. Looking forward to seeing it with deep contours and rounded over. Looks very Rickenbacker like at this stage. Might need some checkered binding???? Hahaha

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Mark,
    These look fantastic! What kind of sound are you envisioning for these builds? If you want to bounce any ideas, let me know.
    Rob

11. Mark Grant

Thank you Rob! I routed these for p90's. I'll pot them in shellac as I wind and experiment with magnets and pole piece mods. I'll see where that takes me. Bouncing ideas sounds great. I'll be in touch soon.

12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome Mark, those look kick a$$! Love the ash one that's going to look sweet as a blonde! (it would rock as sunburst or wait for it....a sunburst blonde {I know: blasphemy})

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Just finished this one up last night.

[​IMG]

Walnut neck, back, and sides. Redwood top. Ziricote fretboard and bridge. Soprano 13 1/2" scale. The strings are still a bit high, but I'll go back and lower them a tad after it's all broken in in a few weeks.

14. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

That looks amazing! What kind of finish do you have on there?

15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Not to speak for him...............but Tom uses Tru-Oil if i recall correctly ;)

16. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

You are half correct :D ... the maple is all Tru Oil but just a light wash coat / seal coat of shellac on the rosewood. Cocobolo is extremely oily and does not play nice with Tru Oil. On test pieces I have gotten Tru Oil to eventually cure, but the high oil content of the cocobolo really screws with it.

The high oil content is a concern for gluing too. This time around I used some Smith All Wood Epoxy for setting the neck. They claim it is specially formulated for oily / resinous woods. Its a little expensive at $26, but you get 12 oz and it works very well. http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/adhesives/smith-all-wood-epoxy

17. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Cool - thanks! That's partly why I was asking. In my challenge build this year I used a lot of cocobolo, and I had planned to tru-oil the finish for them, (pickguard, knobs, etc.) but like you said, it didn't want to cure. Ended up just using a light coat of shellac also.

Looks spectacular. Very nice!

18. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

Neck fitted

ForumRunner_20140706_232215.jpg

Decided to add a neck humbucker. Not sure if I'll wind it or not.

19. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Josh, that is looking great.

Beautiful work!

20. jfurry

jfurry Tele-Meister

Almost done

Coco bolo sides and back ,Sitka spruce top, Brazilian finger board curly maple binding , mahogany neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.