1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's on your workbench today?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.

1. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

That's awesome!

2. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Today I finally assembled my homemade tremolo after it came back from nickel plating.
    [​IMG]

3. ludobag1

ludobag1 Tele-Meister

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

In Maine @ my inlaw's beach house... Found some old pine... Guitar tops anyone?

Attached Files:

5. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Dude that's really sick. do you have any pics of the process?

6. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Not to take the words out of his mouth, but he built it a while ago while he worked in a machine shop I believe. Just recently Mark from the forum plated it for him and he replaced the screws to make it prettier.

7. I_build_my_own

Thanks "melomanarock"

Yup Bentley is correct. This was build in the days before digital cameras leave alone digital cameras invading cell phones....wait cell phones at the time were the size of a shoe box :)... So no pics. I have some over at the "4th of July Caster" http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/413620-4th-july-caster.html thread where it is apart for polishing, so you can see all the bits and pieces. ..and I cannot take credit alone, i had friends who helped with the milling.

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Sadly this was a refinish I did for free for another guy. I'd never done a colour finish so I didn't think it was fair to charge, especially being 16.. Should have had a little more faith in my abilities, this thing is killer!
    [​IMG]

This is just to show off how reflective it is. You can see all the different colours..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next refinish definitely won`t be free.
    [​IMG]

Glad to know I can get a good finish using spray cans, although I prefer my spray gun.

9. I_build_my_own

Cool! What rattle can brand did you use? Did you put clear coats over the red?

10. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I forget what brand of colour it was. It was automotive paint from canadian tire I believe. I wetsanded the colour then I put two cans of clear over the red and wetsanded that as well, then buffed.

11. ModlrMike

ModlrMike TDPRI Member

Probably Dupli-Color. They also carry Rustoleum and Tremclad, but the real colour matched auto paints are Dupli-Color. A little pricey, but they cover well over primer.

12. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Yeah, he had the supplies, but they worked well. I used two cans of colour, because the edges aren't uniformly rounded, and I didn't want any sandthrough. They covered well, and it's a killer colour.

13. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Great job B. Don't ever do a freebie again! *SMACK*

14. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

I had so much fun block sanding my challenge build I thought I would level out the frame of a body I made years ago. I can't remember what I was going to do with it originally but now it's going to be the body of a fretless bass as soon as I pull the frets and fill the slots on a cheap bass neck I bought on ebay a couple years ago. The top and back will probably be baltic birch ply and right now I'm leaning toward a tobacco burst finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame is hardware store poplar. I've come close to throwing it on the fire pit but I'm glad I didn't. It cleaned up real nice.

For now it goes back on the shelf since I have a challenge build to finish and the clock is ticking.

15. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I love the poplar! It's one of my favourite wood grains.

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Neck adjustment day...:D

a mate gave me a turser neck for free,,,, I thought I'd dress the frets and reshape the headstock on my "post rig"......:twisted:

the uber shiny finish smelled for all money like sanding fiberglass and resin!..
    that surfboard/boat building smell?.... resin coated instead of paint?,,, it didn't smell like regular automotive 2 pack or poly... ewww... ;)

the tuner holes are wrong as well, I may plug and re drill them and paint the headstock?.... the Bass E string doesn't align with the tuner post in a straight line,etc.. 1/2 a hole out compared to a regular tele and has a longer spread...... oh dear..;)

oh well, something to do, I rounded the nose of another neck as well...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Oh yes, he should.... He should only choose wiser when to :)

18. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Rocking the stage since february... Without a pause...

Attached Files:

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

YES! Well done.

20. tnt423

tnt423 Tele-Meister

It lives, it has a 1 5/8s" mahogany core with 1/2" flame maple top carved to 3/16" at the edge, back is 1/16" thick quilted maple overlay with Brazilian Rosewood and Ebony accents. Neck is Walnut in the center, two Beech strips and Honduran Mahogany for the largest pieces. The fretboard is East Indian Rosewood with white pearl dots and tall skinny frets. The string nut is carved from the tip of deer antler. Headstock is overlaid with Walnut burl on front with onomatopoeic logo hand cut from copper. Back of the head stock is overlaid with flame maple. Finish is 24 coats of lacquer rubbed out every third coat, except the back of the neck which is proprietary oil soaked in and the rubbed down with 4-O steel wool after sitting for at least 12 hours. Lost count of how many coats, at least 10. Electronics are two harvested Wolfgang Specials with 50's wiring except for large blue drop caps. This is the first one that I've tried layering binding in two dimensions and I learned a lot. Action is very low at 5/128" at the 17th fret on the high E and 3/64" at the 17th fret on the low E. Feels very slinky. Hot guitar, hope her her owner likes her as much as I do!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.