Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Nov 26, 2011.
Today I finally assembled my homemade tremolo after it came back from nickel plating.
In Maine @ my inlaw's beach house... Found some old pine... Guitar tops anyone?
Dude that's really sick. do you have any pics of the process?
Not to take the words out of his mouth, but he built it a while ago while he worked in a machine shop I believe. Just recently Mark from the forum plated it for him and he replaced the screws to make it prettier.
Yup Bentley is correct. This was build in the days before digital cameras leave alone digital cameras invading cell phones....wait cell phones at the time were the size of a shoe box ... So no pics. I have some over at the "4th of July Caster" http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/413620-4th-july-caster.html thread where it is apart for polishing, so you can see all the bits and pieces. ..and I cannot take credit alone, i had friends who helped with the milling.
Sadly this was a refinish I did for free for another guy. I'd never done a colour finish so I didn't think it was fair to charge, especially being 16.. Should have had a little more faith in my abilities, this thing is killer!
This is just to show off how reflective it is. You can see all the different colours..
Next refinish definitely won`t be free.
Glad to know I can get a good finish using spray cans, although I prefer my spray gun.
Cool! What rattle can brand did you use? Did you put clear coats over the red?
I forget what brand of colour it was. It was automotive paint from canadian tire I believe. I wetsanded the colour then I put two cans of clear over the red and wetsanded that as well, then buffed.
Probably Dupli-Color. They also carry Rustoleum and Tremclad, but the real colour matched auto paints are Dupli-Color. A little pricey, but they cover well over primer.
Yeah, he had the supplies, but they worked well. I used two cans of colour, because the edges aren't uniformly rounded, and I didn't want any sandthrough. They covered well, and it's a killer colour.
Great job B. Don't ever do a freebie again! *SMACK*
I had so much fun block sanding my challenge build I thought I would level out the frame of a body I made years ago. I can't remember what I was going to do with it originally but now it's going to be the body of a fretless bass as soon as I pull the frets and fill the slots on a cheap bass neck I bought on ebay a couple years ago. The top and back will probably be baltic birch ply and right now I'm leaning toward a tobacco burst finish.
The frame is hardware store poplar. I've come close to throwing it on the fire pit but I'm glad I didn't. It cleaned up real nice.
For now it goes back on the shelf since I have a challenge build to finish and the clock is ticking.
I love the poplar! It's one of my favourite wood grains.
Neck adjustment day...
a mate gave me a turser neck for free,,,, I thought I'd dress the frets and reshape the headstock on my "post rig"......
the uber shiny finish smelled for all money like sanding fiberglass and resin!..
that surfboard/boat building smell?.... resin coated instead of paint?,,, it didn't smell like regular automotive 2 pack or poly... ewww...
the tuner holes are wrong as well, I may plug and re drill them and paint the headstock?.... the Bass E string doesn't align with the tuner post in a straight line,etc.. 1/2 a hole out compared to a regular tele and has a longer spread...... oh dear..
oh well, something to do, I rounded the nose of another neck as well...
Oh yes, he should.... He should only choose wiser when to
Rocking the stage since february... Without a pause...
YES! Well done.
It lives, it has a 1 5/8s" mahogany core with 1/2" flame maple top carved to 3/16" at the edge, back is 1/16" thick quilted maple overlay with Brazilian Rosewood and Ebony accents. Neck is Walnut in the center, two Beech strips and Honduran Mahogany for the largest pieces. The fretboard is East Indian Rosewood with white pearl dots and tall skinny frets. The string nut is carved from the tip of deer antler. Headstock is overlaid with Walnut burl on front with onomatopoeic logo hand cut from copper. Back of the head stock is overlaid with flame maple. Finish is 24 coats of lacquer rubbed out every third coat, except the back of the neck which is proprietary oil soaked in and the rubbed down with 4-O steel wool after sitting for at least 12 hours. Lost count of how many coats, at least 10. Electronics are two harvested Wolfgang Specials with 50's wiring except for large blue drop caps. This is the first one that I've tried layering binding in two dimensions and I learned a lot. Action is very low at 5/128" at the 17th fret on the high E and 3/64" at the 17th fret on the low E. Feels very slinky. Hot guitar, hope her her owner likes her as much as I do!