Medeltids

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
E1B2D622-B961-4469-BDFB-C044D0A2AE98.jpeg
BF0070AA-7D59-479D-98D8-0E81F1F4E613.jpeg
578EBD44-0FC7-4636-B220-49AADBBEC540.jpeg

FC5FD541-232C-4F1E-9B4E-78B4046CB83E.jpeg
EF4C82B4-AB67-4D3C-A9F9-EFE1560C6B15.jpeg

Working on this single filtertron walnut/mahogany beauty. The body was built from an old wicker and wood chair that sat by our creek for a decade. I think it was from Thailand. My wife finally put it in the trash which prompted me to dig it out and see what it was made from. Some great pieces of mahogany but a lot of work to get enough usable pieces to glue up a body...a multi step process for sure! Wife says some of the wood looks like music notes.

The top was from a slab of black walnut my dad gave to me. Neck is maple, walnut, and mahogany. 4x2 headstock with sperzel tuners.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Finished up the rehab of my '76 Strat by cutting a bone nut from a blank for the very first time. Excellent learning experience and overall I'm pretty pleased, but it's not perfect. I got the high E slot a tiny bit too close to the B slot. Tough to get the open E and G to ring out cleanly on a C chord. Man, I'm not sure how anyone played the old Fender student models with the 1.5" nut width. :confused:

Anyway, this summer the Old Girl's gotten jumbo stainless steel frets, new pots and knobs (black, replacing the old white ones) and a bone nut replacing the brass one that was on it when I purchased it in 1985.

20220817_124753.jpg 20220817_124921.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I ripped apart the guest bathroom today. Given the new "scrap vanity" is in the finishing process, it was time to move on to preparing the place where it will live. Of course, that involves more than just a little spackle and paint...no good project goes unpunished!! For example, I was going to get a new toilet for this bath but the previous owner put down the plank style tile floor such that it surrounds the base of the existing potty...and anything new is going to have a completely different shape. So it's going to get an "innards transplant" and stay where it is. The wall will get shiplap as what came off of it resulted in a whole lot of damage to the surface. But the texture of the shiplap will make for a much more interesting and more modern wall.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Well ****, my pine 'strele' is back on the bench being stripped of all finish. I've used this recipe on 4 previous builds, along with scraps before the first time, with good results. Amber shellac for sealer/toner(I admit to using Zinsser Bullseye rather than mixing from flakes) followed by Duplicolor 1K gloss clear urethane. I've also built 9 other guitars using the same shellac followed by other means of clear with great results, nitro lacquer and 2K urethane.
This time, the first coat misted on of the 1K went on just fine. I had to wait until the next day for coat #2 and within a couple minutes the whole guitar turned into wrinkles. I tried not to spray too heavy, so maybe it was the heat and humidity. but I get to start over. Oh well.

Slowtwitch

Tele-Holic
Doing a 2 piece Mahogany Firebird with a twist: 12 string Epi acoustic bolt-on neck (25.5" scale), JM neck pup and a Gretch Lap Steel bridge pup (still waiting for it before cutting the cavity since it will be directly mounted in the body ). Using a Gotoh GTC12 bridge (6 strings topload, 6 through the body staggered, NOT straight hence the ferrule hole locations).

Custom pickguard inspired by John Entwistle from The Who's famous Fenderbird bass to follow.

The paint scheme wil prob be a burst of some sort, it may even get some artwork from a friend

IMG_20220820_123601.jpg IMG_20220820_123650.jpg IMG_20220820_123623.jpg IMG_20220820_151616.jpg 1b39bac38a3817be66438441149b744f.png

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Small potatoes, but it's on the bench. I made the Backpacker "holdable", now I'm hoping to make it playable. I will be radiusing the flat fingerboard to the same 20 degree curvature as my Yairi. It has an under-saddle pickup, so I'm working from the top of the saddle. My "Work Sharp" knife sharpener comes through again.

IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2923.jpg

Last edited:

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
heavy metal on the bench today.

The disc brake flanges had rusted off this boat trailer axle... had to cut off the old ones and clean it up.
Of course one lug nut was rounded and took a bit to get one wheel off.... had to hammer on a smaller socket to get it cracked off... there's always one isn't there?....

I've got a new set of disc hubs/bearings/calipers coming to install... just need to weld the new flanges on and paint it up and put it back on the trailer...

DSCN4570.JPG
DSCN4571.JPG
DSCN4569.JPG

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire
Doing a 2 piece Mahogany Firebird with a twist: 12 string Epi acoustic bolt-on neck (25.5" scale), JM neck pup and a Gretch Lap Steel bridge pup (still waiting for it before cutting the cavity since it will be directly mounted in the body ). Using a Gotoh GTC12 bridge (6 strings topload, 6 through the body staggered, NOT straight hence the ferrule hole locations).

Custom pickguard inspired by John Entwistle from The Who's famous Fenderbird bass to follow.

The paint scheme wil prob be a burst of some sort, it may even get some artwork from a friend

View attachment 1019048 View attachment 1019046 View attachment 1019047 View attachment 1019050
Inspired! Love it

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Have I ever mentioned I hate sanding?
I'm right there with you...especially since doing it right means many, many hours and a lot of concentration in the "tough spots".

But wow...nice job on that piece! It's going to be both stunning when completed.

-------
On a completely different topic consistent with this thread, I sent out the deposit check to the electrician yesterday for the power feed to the new shop building, so the builder, the concrete folks and the electrician are all "on the hook". Hopefully, the schedule will hold and a big truck will show up on 8 September with a whole bunch of "building parts" as well as a skid steer to drill some deep holes. The actual build is scheduled to start on the 12th and I'm hopeful that the schedule will hold give there's been little or no weather delays this summer...we finally got a few minutes of actual rain last night for the first time in over three weeks. Of course, other things can cause delays.

Also "on my bench", figuratively speaking, is spraying finish on the "scrap vanity" for my guest bath renovation.