What's on your workbench today?

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
More groovin...1/4" X 1/4" groove all around for the bottom...

Stanley No 39. A little finicky to set up but once set...!

Attachments

• 20220516_193315.jpg
    20220516_193315.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 30

Cantbreak100guy

Tele-Holic
I'm finally getting around to building the cabinet for my boothill 5e3. I took an old pine cabinet that belonged to my father in law. The wood is old, and cleaned up well. I'll be getting the entire box built with zero knots. I'm going to pretend making this out of 50 year old pine will somehow make the tone sound better than any other.

Attachments

• 20220501_145128.jpg
    20220501_145128.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220501_153838.jpg
    20220501_153838.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220501_170316.jpg
    20220501_170316.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220501_170534.jpg
    20220501_170534.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220501_170452.jpg
    20220501_170452.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 13

jkingma

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have that same King bandsaw, and had no idea the miter gauge can be stored on the side there until this post, lol. It's a pretty good bandsaw, although the fence has a bit of flex, but I guess that's somewhat expected with aluminum.

I stared at those lugs for about 10 minutes saying to myself... "There must be some reason for those..." then it clicked in.

novakane

TDPRI Member
Early in the Winter I had bought a few boxes of random offcuts from a local lumber supplier including some figured maple pieces.
Two of the pieces I immediately put aside because they are about the right size to try making a guitar neck out of.
This was rough cut and the crazy grain patterns and Birdseye figuring that came out once I started to get a surface look pretty interesting.

It was a chore getting it even this far though. Although my jack plane is sharp, I thought I was losing my mind so I re-sharpened it but that was little help.
Went online, found out that I am apparently trying to level the worst wood on the planet for a plane to deal with lol
Re-adjusted based on tips online, mildly better performance. Card scraper seems to be helping as well.
I need to do some repair work on my #4 then I'll see if it can do any better than the #5.
My hope is to get this at least flat and level then, then squared, then I'll go to town with the sander to get the last of the divots out.

Hopefully the sides will square off easier than the face of it but I am now starting to loath about how chiseling and router planing out the truss rod is going to go. Ah well, keeps me out of trouble and should wind up being a pretty neat looking neck.

IMG_5200.jpeg

VicUA

TDPRI Member
Seymour Duncan Vintage Broadcaster pickups loaded Double Esquire in black.
One piece aged pine body with quarter-sawn hard maple neck.

Attachments

• Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar6.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar6.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar5.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar5.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar4.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar4.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar3.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar3.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar2.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar1.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar.jpg
    Pinecaster Masterbuikd Telecaster Tinted Black Guard Double Esquire Aged Road Worn Guitar.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 24

Billycaster21

Tele-Meister
2C0201CD-A8A8-4714-BAEC-835B8072BE0A.jpeg

Almost ready to glue this together and start shaping my first neck. A couple of questions for you guys. First, because of my inexperience I routed the truss rod channel a hair wider than ideal. Will this cause problems for me? I’m planning on putting some silicone around the brass anchors at either end. I also need to fill some small areas around some of the neck markers. Any recommendations on what I should use to do this? Thanks again guitarbuilder for your let’s make a neck thread!

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Early in the Winter I had bought a few boxes of random offcuts from a local lumber supplier including some figured maple pieces.
Two of the pieces I immediately put aside because they are about the right size to try making a guitar neck out of.
This was rough cut and the crazy grain patterns and Birdseye figuring that came out once I started to get a surface look pretty interesting.

It was a chore getting it even this far though. Although my jack plane is sharp, I thought I was losing my mind so I re-sharpened it but that was little help.
Went online, found out that I am apparently trying to level the worst wood on the planet for a plane to deal with lol
Re-adjusted based on tips online, mildly better performance. Card scraper seems to be helping as well.
I need to do some repair work on my #4 then I'll see if it can do any better than the #5.
My hope is to get this at least flat and level then, then squared, then I'll go to town with the sander to get the last of the divots out.

Hopefully the sides will square off easier than the face of it but I am now starting to loath about how chiseling and router planing out the truss rod is going to go. Ah well, keeps me out of trouble and should wind up being a pretty neat looking neck.

View attachment 984508
For working with highly figured woods, there is nothing better than a toothing plane. They cut incredibly quick. I usually make a quick diamond pattern on the piece and take down the diamonds with a regular jack. You can finish the final run with a scraper. That is how I also thin figured guitar sides. Hope this helps!

novakane

TDPRI Member
For working with highly figured woods, there is nothing better than a toothing plane. They cut incredibly quick. I usually make a quick diamond pattern on the piece and take down the diamonds with a regular jack. You can finish the final run with a scraper. That is how I also thin figured guitar sides. Hope this helps!

Interesting, I had never heard of these before. Thanks for the tip.

VicUA

TDPRI Member
I make many burnt pine bodies in my practice. It made with completely dry wood (8-7 %). But even this case the resin goin up on a surface. The resin can be easy removed with butyl acetate solvent. And it should be removed immediately after burn process. In 2-4 hours the resin staying hard like a rock. May be it will be helpful for someone.

Attachments

• IMG_8198.JPG
    IMG_8198.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8197.JPG
    IMG_8197.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8199.JPG
    IMG_8199.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 16

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
View attachment 985395
Almost ready to glue this together and start shaping my first neck. A couple of questions for you guys. First, because of my inexperience I routed the truss rod channel a hair wider than ideal. Will this cause problems for me? I’m planning on putting some silicone around the brass anchors at either end. I also need to fill some small areas around some of the neck markers. Any recommendations on what I should use to do this? Thanks again guitarbuilder for your let’s make a neck thread!

I guess it depends on how loose it is. You could stick some veneer or fiberglas packing tape in there to take up some space if it is really off. I use a 7/32" router bit on my hotrods. Stewmac uses a bit a hair narrower. Filling around the dots. I might finish the neck first and then stick in some superglue or clear epoxy. I think you'll see it no matter what either before of after finishing, as it isn't maple and will become darker. There are also shellac sticks but I don't know if I'd go to all that trouble. I use duco cement ( green tube) for my dots and that has acetone in it which softens the dots up some.