What's on your workbench today?

novakane

TDPRI Member
Couldn't have planned it better. Hopefully this will help :)

View attachment 942496
Looks a lot nicer than mine! lol

IMG_4955.jpeg

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Well not on the workbench but off the workbench. I'm just about ready for paint on my kitchen reface just fine tuned the last 4 doors, then baseboard and few little things. It's been quiet bit of work and time consuming ( I'm good for 6 hours day on a good day) the holidays ate some time up. All & all it's been fun and a learning experience. Building all new doors drawers boxes & faces, hardware (handels / slides ) I'm under $1600. The paint quote $4700.00 guess who needs help with a deck I'll pay for materials.

Attachments

• IMG_8435.jpg
    IMG_8435.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8340.jpg
    IMG_8340.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8428.jpg
    IMG_8428.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 25

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I have had this big chunk of jarrah ( I was corrected, this is most likely Jatoba) that I had turned into a mini roll around bench. My vice is attached to it, I can get to both sides. I use it most of the time. The problem was it was warped, so I finally took the time to mill it. I had put it off because it weighs 35 lbs. Jarrah is dense and heavy. Well I needed a workout so I milled it at a friends house. This is after the milling and after one coat of satin poly.
3C220C9B-E7ED-46B9-9905-ED27933187E8.jpeg
1C530B1F-2E63-4E28-A62B-55A10FD634D9.jpeg

Last edited:

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I have had this big chunk of jarrah that I had turned into a mini roll around bench. My vice is attached to it, I can get to both sides. I use it most of the time. The problem was it was warped, so I finally took the time to mill it. I had put it off because it weighs 35 lbs. Jarrah is dense and heavy. Well I needed a workout so I milled it at a friends house. This is after the milling and after one coat of satin poly.
View attachment 942883 View attachment 942884
OBTW, that is my router table under it. Lol

betocool

Tele-Meister
I have had this big chunk of jarrah ( I was corrected, this is most likely Jatoba) that I had turned into a mini roll around bench. My vice is attached to it, I can get to both sides. I use it most of the time. The problem was it was warped, so I finally took the time to mill it. I had put it off because it weighs 35 lbs. Jarrah is dense and heavy. Well I needed a workout so I milled it at a friends house. This is after the milling and after one coat of satin poly.
View attachment 942883 View attachment 942884
I don't mean to sound rude, but that doesn't look like jarrah to me... Jarrah is way more reddish/brown, but yes very dense. That being said, I am the least expert when it comes to trees.

Cheers,

Alberto

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Had time to work on the neck, started profiling a little, tried a volute for the first time and drilled the holes for the tuners to see, if the Firebird Banjo tuners will fit (I slightly shrunk the headstock size to make it work with the body), and was happy to see, that it will work out as planned :) However, thos Firebird Tuners are huge...
Oh, and btw, Oak is not the best fretboard wood in my book, it dents VERY easily, so, I covered it in Wipe on poly and taped it off now until I reach the state, where I will level the frets etc. Bummer, because it's a beautiful wood.
IMG_20220122_161910.jpg
IMG_20220122_161920.jpg
IMG_20220122_162019.jpg
IMG_20220122_162112.jpg

Greplington

Tele-Meister
About 95% done with an install of a full multi-gated dust extraction system along one side of my workshop. 4 drops to different machines and benches all hooked up via 4"clear ducting. Anti - static grounding wires running through the whole thing too. Just need to add mounting brackets for the gates, and add in an extra piece of flexible hose for a floor sweep inlet.
IMG_20220123_165545.jpg
IMG_20220123_165553.jpg
IMG_20220123_171713.jpg

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
About 95% done with an install of a full multi-gated dust extraction system along one side of my workshop. 4 drops to different machines and benches all hooked up via 4"clear ducting. Anti - static grounding wires running through the whole thing too. Just need to add mounting brackets for the gates, and add in an extra piece of flexible hose for a floor sweep inlet. View attachment 943209 View attachment 943210 View attachment 943211
in the Netherlands you would have safety regulation problems also on insurance.
pipes for dust extraction in woodworking machines have to be metal.
why. wood can burn., clothed dust can smolder en set a fire, in this case melting the tubing and fire will spread faster.
in your case i would not spare on fire protection sensors and Fire extinguisher

Last edited:

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
hopdybob, that's true in the US, too...but the regulation and enforcement is only for commercial shops. Folks in home shops can and do use a lot of plastic ductwork. I'm not one of them, however, and have always used metal for as long as I've had a shop. I recently converted to clamp-together when I moved into my temporary shop and will continue with that when I get a building up. Expensive as all get-out, but oh, so easy to work with.

Greplington

Tele-Meister
in the Netherlands you would have safety regulation problems also on insurance.
pipes for dust extraction in woodworking machines have to be metal.
why. wood can burn., clothed dust can smolder en set a fire, in this case melting the tubing and fire will spread faster.
in your case i would not spare on fire protection sensors and Fire extinguisher
Thanks for your concern, but this is all approved under Australian Standards for ducting - as long as you have the ground wire running through (which honestly takes longer to sort out than the actual ducting).

Wood dust is highly flammable in the right conditions, but won't burn without a source of ignition. This system won't be used for anything that could generate sparks (it's hooked up to a lathe, a drop saw, and a bench outlet for use with a scroll saw and a belt and disk sander) and the ground wire is there to prevent static build up which could cause sparking inside the system itself.

My primary hobby is knifemaking, so I am very conscious about not mixing dust and sparks. I have a removable collector on a long flexi hose which I can use with my 2x72" belt grinder when I'm working on handles, which will be not just shut off, but removed altogether when I'm grinding steel.

mrz80

Tele-Meister
Sometimes things just don't go like you gamed it out... evidently one of my registration pins didn't make it all the way thru the fretboard and into the neck, and the 'board warped and slid sideways after it was clamped.
IMG_20220123_163633.jpg

SO glad I caught it before the glue set all the way! Let's see if we can't get the 'board separated again...
IMG_20220123_180314.jpg

Phew! That's a relief! :oops:
IMG_20220123_180640.jpg

mrz80

Tele-Meister
Hazards of NOT having a suitable bandsaw... I needed to resaw/bookmatch some maple for a top cap, and the board was way too wide for my wussy little bandsaw. So, I ripped slots in the board to the max depth of my table saw blade...
IMG_20220108_140956.jpg

then finished with hand saws and a plane.
IMG_20220108_141155.jpg

IMG_20220108_142327_0.jpg

Got it done but LORD was that hard work! And the handsaw wandered to one side, so now that I've got the bookmatch glued up and glued to the body, I'll have to plane the maple down to get rid of the divot. You can sort of see it on the left of the lower bout. It'll be worth it though; I'm really happy with the flame figure on this top.
IMG_20220119_211044.jpg