What's on your workbench today?

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks. It is actually just a black covered Lawence Wilde tele Microcoil in the neck rather than chrome.
Cool, pretty much the ONLY Tele pickup I've ever liked. I have many bad to mediocre experiences with Tele neck pickups. I've used Strat, humbuckers, even wound my own to get away from them lol

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Just finished up the other day.
Figured walnut, curly maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Glow markers, logo inlay is gunmetal pearl powder mixed with glow powder and CA soaked.

Clear nitro with flattening agent. Turned out subtle sexy.

Eric

Wow...very kewel how the swirl in the walnut and the scratch plate are very visually copacetic! Beautiful instrument!

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I actually got motivated to get into the shop yesterday for awhile...this whole property selling thing has been heck on my head for months now, but there's light at the end of that tunnel. While I actually did clean my bench off, I also got the lathe situation now that it's moved in...re-terminated the cord to a 30 amp twist lock to match the shared machine circuit and got the tools organized. Emptying the bin that all that stuff in now makes room for me to get the grinder over at the end of the CNC so its convenient to the lathe.

IMG_0545.jpg

I also procrastinated on dealing with some light surface rust I got on my machinery last weekend when I had to have the big door opened to move the lathe in...condensation in a major way due to warm air and cold tools. Rather than deal with that, I fired up the CNC to make our cockatiel's Christmas present...her very own fancy charcuterie board for on top of her cage to graze from. :) I had a leftover piece of honey locust from when I was cutting some boards for a friend and just needed to lightly dish the top for the intended use for bird pellets, etc. I had a minor hold-down movement issue, so the cutting wasn't perfect, but Sammula will not really care about that. ;)

IMG_0577.jpg

'Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Good question & my preference. Unfortunately my usual kiln source doesn't like to deal with making space for random sized & shape pieces & such a small quantity. Suggestions welcome!
Well what we used to do longgggg ago was boil old antifreeze to get the straight ethylene glycol then soak the wood then pull out to let dry.
This actually came from Curtis-Wright I'm told to pre treat wood for their biplanes. Of that I have no clue but know one thing, no bug survives lol

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Well what we used to do longgggg ago was boil old antifreeze to get the straight ethylene glycol then soak the wood then pull out to let dry.
This actually came from Curtis-Wright I'm told to pre treat wood for their biplanes. Of that I have no clue but know one thing, no bug survives lol

Thanks. Is ethylene glycol safer than ant killer or borax once dust starts flying though?

Eric

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The issue with trying to use a chemical is that unless you can force it into the wood, you're not going to get any critters deeper than the chemical can go. That's why heat sterilization is kinda the de facto standard in the lumber world for insuring any wildlife hidden in the wood is killed dead...including eggs, which many chemicals don't touch.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks. Is ethylene glycol safer than ant killer or borax once dust starts flying though?

Eric
Safer yes, as the glycol "polymeises" the wood. But Jim brings up a good point, unless you have a tank/pan big enough to put the wood in the hot glycol the penetration is limited, and a kiln would be better

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I hogged out the plywood body on my Epiphone LP Jr. Next I'll plane it down a 1/4" and glue a 1/4" piece of Maple ply I found at Home Depot to make my ES LP Special. Need to clean it up with the router too.

On another note, I found a pedal that I once had and had to sell off with all my gear. Now if I could find my old Strat and LP Studio, all would be well.

Attachments

• 20211217_152039.jpg
    20211217_152039.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211221_160412.jpg
    20211221_160412.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211221_160503.jpg
    20211221_160503.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 42

rexhunta

Tele-Meister
Work...floor?

N2JetFg.jpg

1 of the rooms we laid using recycled West Australian Jarrah floorboards that was pulled from an old 1800s farm house. This was after it's first 20 something grit sand. House is on an old farm which 75% of the floorings, windows and bricks have been recycled from the old house that originally was there.

The owner and his 2 sons spent multiple weekends chipping the original mortar off the bricks so they could be reused for these, and that is one of the original windows and glass on the left hand side where the radio is sitting.

oysuxvQ.jpg

If you look closely at the chimney, you'll see random coins from the early years implanted into the mortar, these were found on site and the owner asked to put them in.

Pete.

Last edited:

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Wow, that place is going to be stunning, Pete. I love that repurposed materials are being used and that window idea is very kewel! I hope you'll be able to post a follow up in the future with a photo or three of the completed space.

rexhunta

Tele-Meister
Wow, that place is going to be stunning, Pete. I love that repurposed materials are being used and that window idea is very kewel! I hope you'll be able to post a follow up in the future with a photo or three of the completed space.

I've been shipped out of there now as I've completed all the 2nd fixing.

What I can tell you is it's a 4x3, massive games and study, the garage alone is 14mx7m( 1054sqft), has butlers pantry and the house without the garage is close to 550sqm (5920sqft) over looking farmland.

All the wet area floors are polished cream concrete, and the garage floor ( when we poured it ) was jet black.

this is the main ensuite, there will be a free standing bath here, then the 2 massive windows overlook paddocks with cows and creeks.

W2ZOQzu.jpg

Took us just over 2 weeks to complete the entire roof truss kit with 4 of us, working 12 hour days as it's got massive incorporated verandahs the entire side of the building.

rSDgAKj.jpg

l2SzPqg.jpg

The deck timbers themselves are Gum trees he had where the house was as well, he got the trees milled to lumber, and then used our 4 sider at our workshop to machine it all to size.

this is after kero + linseed concoction.

ab2YEvv.jpg

It's going to look great I think. If I get a chance next year i'll go back for 5 mins and get some more photos, but the deck is 90% completed, the house itself is pretty much 90% completed all ready for paint.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I hogged out the plywood body on my Epiphone LP Jr. Next I'll plane it down a 1/4" and glue a 1/4" piece of Maple ply I found at Home Depot to make my ES LP Special. Need to clean it up with the router too.

On another note, I found a pedal that I once had and had to sell off with all my gear. Now if I could find my old Strat and LP Studio, all would be well.
seeing the rest of were the bridge posts are i really wonder if things will work out fine when strung op to pitch.
the force to flip that piece sideways could break it off

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
Some jackwagon took a big rasp to the frets on his Epiphone Les Paul and then realized he didn’t have the proper tools or talent to finish the job.

I hit it with my fret level beam (though rough as a cob, he got them pretty straight on level) and have been recrowning them to remove the extreme flatness.

Before and after the crowning file.
E364A40B-4BDA-41F4-90E3-405FE8A9212B.jpeg

Have yet to decide how to deal with the chunk he broke off the nut. Probably try the super glue/baking soda trick. I just want this thing out of my house.

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
Some jackwagon took a big rasp to the frets on his Epiphone Les Paul and then realized he didn’t have the proper tools or talent to finish the job.

I hit it with my fret level beam (though rough as a cob, he got them pretty straight on level) and have been recrowning them to remove the extreme flatness.

Before and after the crowning file.
View attachment 931786

Have yet to decide how to deal with the chunk he broke off the nut. Probably try the super glue/baking soda trick. I just want this thing out of my house.
That fretboard looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet one to many times. Ouch. I would want it off my bench too.