What's on your workbench today?

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Building all new Cabinet doors and drawer fronts & boxes for our kitchen. 21 doors 15 drawers. Have 6 more boxes to build. Been quiet the learning process all the rails & stiles have to be flat or you’ll have a twisted door (jointer is a must) Some of the cabinets are not quiet square so some of the doors take a bit of work to get doors aligned. One cabinet section is so racked going to have do some modifications. Now I’m at the point I have sand everything (some is sanded) just so I can get it out of the garage I’m out of space. I did the linen closet already that was 8 doors they came out pretty nice. I’m using poplar for what I’m making it’s all going to be painted, I have painter ready to start he said he will make time for me he’s booking into September now. The painting is a trade I’m going to help him build a deck around his pool. Have a couple more weeks to go no rush.

IMG_8312.jpg
IMG_8311.jpg
IMG_8305.jpg
IMG_8226.jpg
IMG_8260.jpg

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
In the middle of a main floor bathroom major renovation and the project wandered into my music room. Need the space for rehearsal and working up new songs so I cleaned it up the best I could.
17753AE5-1EDD-4238-B44F-F76B839DA0B1.jpeg

When I put it back together, I’m going to soundproof the floor and re-do the walls so I can have a few more outlets and wiring I can fully trust.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
In the middle of a main floor bathroom major renovation and the project wandered into my music room. Need the space for rehearsal and working up new songs so I cleaned it up the best I could.
View attachment 926308
When I put it back together, I’m going to soundproof the floor and re-do the walls so I can have a few more outlets and wiring I can fully trust.
well, seeing the little guitar second from the left, your circular saw works fine ;):twisted:

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
My brother asked me to build him a guitar. And of course a complicated one. So I decided to make 2 of these, one to check certain things and then the one for my brother where hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Today I cut the top roughly and glued on the ears on the headstock and smoothed it out.
IMG_20211206_185835.jpg
IMG_20211206_185911.jpg

It was the first time I used a plane to smooth the headstock. Went pretty good and fast, I'm surprised.

Besides, the body and neck are from mahogany from a stairway.

In the end it should look like this

IMG_20211203_143253_1.jpg

So far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_185919.jpg
    IMG_20211206_185919.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 7

epizootics

Tele-Meister
My brother asked me to build him a guitar. And of course a complicated one. So I decided to make 2 of these, one to check certain things and then the one for my brother where hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Today I cut the top roughly and glued on the ears on the headstock and smoothed it out. View attachment 926463 View attachment 926462

It was the first time I used a plane to smooth the headstock. Went pretty good and fast, I'm surprised.

Besides, the body and neck are from mahogany from a stairway.

In the end it should look like this

View attachment 926464

So far so good.

Looking good already!

That's kind of funny, here's the guitar my brother asked me to build him this summer:

51309077014_54b3a998d4_c.jpg

51406012144_4f1082b159_c.jpg

What's with brothers in Europe wanting mahogany semi-hollows with maple tops? :D

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
What's with brothers in Europe wanting mahogany semi-hollows with maple tops? :D

Hahaha, what a coincidence! And that's a beautiful guitar, very elegant looking!

Actually, that is the guitar I build for trial, my brother's guitar will be made with an ash body, White oak top, bog oak Fingerboard and a 3 piece walnut/maple/walnut neck. I am a little worried regarding the weight and also of having to carve the oak top, as oak seems to be very hard on tools.
Therefore, if the guitar with the woods he chose may be too heavy, I have this guitar as alternative on hand. The mahogany was ultralight to begin with, having it chambered made it light as a feather. So, Firebird neck may be neck heavy, especially since those Firebird tuners are quite heavy.

We will see :) Either way, it is joyful to build something for someone else, I am thinking far more, before I do something now.

Meteorman

Tele-Afflicted
the many stages of my shou sugi ban effort.
at every intermission, the wife kept saying "stop there! it looks good like that "
i had a grayish-with-warmer-undertones end in mind, so I persevered.
a sequence of 4 different dyes/stains and a lot of elbow grease for rubbing back.
still coming: seal with shellac and a coupla topcoats of flat or satin clear - thinking that will make the grain contrast pop quite a bit

[note that, on the top, the scorching process caused the Titebond glue seams to open up quite a bit.
Not a huge deal breaker with this textured look, but I did fill and stain them.
I think the topcoats will further mitigate that]

R8XoQY5.jpg

GncZ5LX.jpg

K8bf4mn.jpg

SrfmSlT.jpg

jjpwSaI.jpg

5u3FuRu.jpg

Moodivarius

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Had to make a custom piece of crown mould for a kitchen modification later this week.
Used 3 different router bits, router table, a milling machine & jointer planer with backstop on angle.

Cut the wide trough in it with the milling machine.

63C9620D-CB69-48A3-8F55-0A2906442886.jpeg

12492BBA-E019-4BA8-BF63-DEF20BC7351D.jpeg

Then a 1/2” ball nose, and a 1/2” V bit on the router table. 60 deg angle was done on the jointer planer, with a jig to get the angle. Gouge scrapers to clean up the routes.

0E320A3B-5750-45B2-AACB-48AAD83195C4.jpeg

FFDAEE73-0CD8-459D-95E6-E08DDC5DC0DB.jpeg

Pretty close profile.
I’ll use the old piece to match 45 deg cuts of the old crown mould, what is there already. The new piece to put across cabinets butted at each end.
The owner has matching stain from when the cabinets where built.

Scott.

epizootics

Tele-Meister
Leaving the bench soon...Semi-hollow, double pickup P-Bass with 2-a-side headstock, binding AND a 1/2" roundover anyone?

51733151759_d5fdbe5d58_c.jpg

51732743478_d640df9886_c.jpg

Mahogany bottom and basket weave / block mottle bosse top. The neck is a very pretty example of curly, European soft maple (what we call sycamore over here). The whole thing is going to receive a few coats of Z-poxy (first time using that product) and a hard wax finish (first time too).

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The whole thing is going to receive a few coats of Z-poxy (first time using that product) and a hard wax finish (first time too).
Can a hard-wax oil product even be used over a sealed surface like ZPoxy is going to be applied to? Recent discussion in the very large woodworking forum that I help manage indicated that the hard-wax oil products being discussed were supposed to go over bare wood sanded to no more than 150 for best results. Make sure you check the specifications of the product you intend to use.

BTW, that's a BEAUTIFUL body!

epizootics

Tele-Meister
Can a hard-wax oil product even be used over a sealed surface like ZPoxy is going to be applied to? Recent discussion in the very large woodworking forum that I help manage indicated that the hard-wax oil products being discussed were supposed to go over bare wood sanded to no more than 150 for best results. Make sure you check the specifications of the product you intend to use.

BTW, that's a BEAUTIFUL body!

That's a valid question. I have seen contradicting information, but it seems that the river epoxy table crowd love Osmo Poly-X gloss as a finish. I figured that I should be OK applying it to wood that has been grain-filled...But we will see! I'll report back on this.

My other option is a water-based flooring product that seems to be quite similar to your Varathane in the US. Nitro is my finish of choice but the weather decided against it (80-100% humidity, 5-7° degrees celsius...and no spraying cabin). I'd like to find a backup finish for the cold French winter times!

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Had to make a custom piece of crown mould for a kitchen modification later this week.
Used 3 different router bits, router table, a milling machine & jointer planer with backstop on angle.

Cut the wide trough in it with the milling machine.

View attachment 926854

View attachment 926855

Then a 1/2” ball nose, and a 1/2” V bit on the router table. 60 deg angle was done on the jointer planer, with a jig to get the angle. Gouge scrapers to clean up the routes.

View attachment 926856

View attachment 926857

Pretty close profile.
I’ll use the old piece to match 45 deg cuts of the old crown mould, what is there already. The new piece to put across cabinets butted at each end.
The owner has matching stain from when the cabinets where built.

Scott.
Gives me the shivers, my dad made molding, with a 5hp 3phase shaper I NEVER had the nads to use. I don't even go through that aisle in Lowe's because seeing I here that big dangerous mother spool up :eek:

Leaving the bench soon...Semi-hollow, double pickup P-Bass with 2-a-side headstock, binding AND a 1/2" roundover anyone?

51733151759_d5fdbe5d58_c.jpg

51732743478_d640df9886_c.jpg

Mahogany bottom and basket weave / block mottle bosse top. The neck is a very pretty example of curly, European soft maple (what we call sycamore over here). The whole thing is going to receive a few coats of Z-poxy (first time using that product) and a hard wax finish (first time too).
If you use 50/50 Zpoxy finishing resin and Everclear, you won't need wax ;)

This is my elm body Strat. Nice wood and pretty grain
ELM? On a guitar? :eek: Well if it works for you, it is beautiful :)