1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whats it like in your area for walking the walk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by a.francis.1968, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

There are a few bands in my area but no real "scene."
    No place to play, essentially. It's a small town.
    That said, my friends in Scuzzy Yeti managed to get signed to a small label through talent and hard work - and a lot of gigs in Massachusetts.

2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I'm gigging more and making more $$ than at any time in the last 50 years. That's not a lot of $$, just more. I am not going in the hole. I play in an acoustic duo and a four piece electric band, classic rock and classic country. My area's population is about 25,000 I'd guess.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Toronto still has one of the best live music scenes on the planet but we’re apparently losing a live venue a week over the last two or three years, so that’s a lot of venues no longer available.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Why would you crap in cotton?...

<smells T-shirt apprehensively>

5. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

You live in LA and can't find anyone to jam with?

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yes.
    I was the band leader at a church for 12 years. We decided to attend another church, I wanted something a bit less monotonous.
    I'd met plenty of other musicians from different churches over the years. Myself and three other dudes decided to start a band that went around to churches that need special music or to give their own crew a break, or maybe they don't have a crew at all!
    It's been fun.
    We Are called Riverside Revival Band.
    Check us out if you want.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not surprised. When I was young if you wanted to see a movie you had to go to a movie theater. Consumer grade VHS and Beta came out when I was in high school (I graduated in 1980), but being able to go to Blockbuster and get movies
    didn't really happen until a bit later-- early 80s, anyway. Drinking age was typically 18, 19, or 20, depending on what state you lived in. If you wanted to play a video game you went to a video arcade or a bar for that.

Point is that now you can stay home and stream amazing TV and video for just a few bucks a month. You can play amazing games on dedicated machines like PlayStation or XBox, or on your computer. If you drive anywhere and drink then you're
    looking at an Uber and the attendant expenses plus getting your car the next day-- or risk a DUI. I'm not surprised that the millenials just stay home, to be honest. Even more of an issue is how they don't really seem to connect that much in person
    anymore, anyway. They are happy to be Face-time video chatting and connecting via social media. They might go out once in awhile, but not like we did. If you wanted to be social when I was young, you had to actually go out and socialize
    in person.

rand z likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Not much here in Outer Redneckia beyond megachurch P&W bands (too much church politics for my taste and not a fan of ambient U2-ish music) and a few solo singer/guitar gigs (I'm not a singer). Atlanta is a huge metro area so I suppose there are some places around even though out here it's a dry well. There are some music venues in Athens but that's mostly aimed toward the college crowd and not old curmudgeonly 'dad rockers'. I've done a few blues gigs way out around Lake Lanier a few years ago when a friend of a friend was trying to get a bar with live music started but he went out of business.

9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I got very very tired of gigging a lot. Down to a couple a month and loving it. There’s enough variety around here that I fell like I’m being challenged musically

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It has gotten fairly bad this year here in the PNW. Still some gigs around, but the pay has diminished over the years. Many dance type clubs have closed or stopped music. Duo work prevails right now. I think the end of the band music scene is on the horizon. Everyone who went out to that scene is getting too old.
    Selfies and surfing the web on the phone prevails with young people.

12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Blues bands doing clubs in Montreal are making less per man than we paid our roadies in the Sixties. Mother told me to get a real job so I became a B.Comm, CPA long time back.

My drummer back then was Corky Laing for approx 6 years before he wrote and recorded Mississippi Queen with Leslie West and Felix Pappalardi. Felix produced all of us at Atlantic Records before "Mountain".

I became the Business Manager and Tax Advisor with one of the top session singers in Canada for about 20 years until she joined Celine Dion in Vegas. Major Ad Jingles in the studio for radio and tv is where the real bucks are. Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, MacDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Nissan, Air Canada, etc plus tons of stuff translated for French Quebec. It all gets re-recorded when it gets here under Union rules. Like having a licence to steal. Unbelievable Royalties and repeat residuals from airplay.

Beats making $75/night...but I still get out there in the clubs at times just to keep my chops in shape. Sux that I was able to make roughly $100K per years while the guys who play clubs in this area make zip.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  13. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@ chrism, those are part of the problem. A perhaps larger problem is how absolutely nuts the cost of doing business has become. Rent specifically. The condofication here is crazy. And most of those folks don’t want to live beside a noisy bar. So there’s some nimbyism happening as the core becomes increasingly dense, while at the same time venues are being pushed out of the core and on and on. And artists in general. A one bedroom apartment is over two grand here now. Canuck bucks, but still. How many artists can afford that?

So, a bunch of factors are factoring in to the loss of venues. But, even given that the scene here is probably as healthy as anywhere. I know the same kind of things are happening in Nashville and Austin and lots of other places.

Cheers.
    Geoff

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of live music in Saratoga. I haven't played publicly in 35 years.

15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Nashville - enough said

16. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Until I moved to Knoxville from Hartford I was gigging a lot. Was in a bluegrass band and picked Tele in an outlaw country band.

Moved here thought it would be no problem hooking up with some players. Well it’s harder than I thought. Only now finding a couple guys to jam with. So I got all the great gear and nowhere to use it!

17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It is funny, there is not a very lush bed of music in this area, but there must be a guitar practitioner every block according to all the packages I deliver from Guitar Center and Sweetwater. Just today alone, I deliverd 44 such packages on a route with 430 addresses. If only there was a venue to get these people out of their homes.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

here's what it's like:

132C3CE6-41C7-40DC-AB4B-BB79F0A31A8A.jpeg

but the people have good hearts

19. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It’s not hard to get gigs here in the San Francisco Bay Area, but not so easy to build an audience as more people want to see established bands. Most of the gigs pay, but much less than we’d make as a cover band.

We usually play a couple times a month, and could do more if I was more on the ball with booking.

20. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Nothing but metal bands and shredders. Also a group of bands turned into a gang somehow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.