Whats it like in your area for walking the walk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by a.francis.1968, Dec 13, 2019.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Rochester minnesota is a vast white wasteland of former musical opportunity. Many once-lucrative venues have closed or changed genre/format, and there isn’t much work for local bands unless they can get out of the immediate vicinity.

There are tons of skilled, talented musicians here - no lack of inspiring folks to jam with, but not a ton of work.

A decade ago it was easy to find 25 - 40 gigs a year without putting a crazy number of miles on.

2. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I can relate completely. I'm fortunate to play with some good musicians in a blues-ish band, but finding gigs is difficult. I don't do open mics, although the blues-ish band attended one last Wed, but that's only the second time. I'm going to play in the host band for a once-a-month jazz jam, but the drummer sucks and that might cause me to bail on that.

This is a small town where gig opportunities for bands is not good at all, and for aging bands even worse. But I'm not ready to hang it up and will persevere.

nojazzhere and Wildcard_35 like this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I'm playing tonight and tomorrow night at a local dive bar I have been playing at (6 weekends a year or so) since the early 80's.
    It is a Rock/Cover/Dance club.
    There aren't as many places to play as there were in the 70's and 80's.
    Most places are DJ now, even the Country Joints.

Life is short, play LOUD!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Beefheart thread has put me in the mood!

jhundt and Teleguy61 like this.
  5. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 TDPRI Member

Was that your decision to play at other peoples churches rather than your own?

6. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

There are a lot of opportunities in Austin, Texas to play for free and next to nothing. There are some opportunities for folks who are really good and play better than your average weekend warrior to make some money. I am your average weekend warrior, though. I still love to make racket with my buddies and surprise a few folks with the occasional burst of brilliance, though.

Chicago Matt and nojazzhere like this.
  7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

We had one thru “ extension study” at the college that never had a steady drummer, mostly because the bass player was a blues/ rock guy that was a friend of the director and kept on insisting on playing straight rock lines. “ it’s Van ( Morrison) lets rock” No dude is a jazz setting of Into the Mystic.. chill.
    You can work w/ a open mind that is willing to learn and work, a selfish fool is much harder to deal with.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Not bad around here, not what it used to be either. But there's still a decent supply of old reprobates that are willing to leave the house to go see music. Played somewhere or another every week all summer & quite a bit of the fall, though the late-winter dead spot in January-March is looking even deader than usual.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Theres a great red dirt scene here in texas, and my band has a good gig on the 20th. We arent a bar band and pretty much pick and choose our gigs.

10. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I'm very lucky to have been born where I am. Newfoundlanders are known for their:

1) Love of music. All kinds. Trad, Country, Irish, Rap, Rock, Jazz, Classical, you name it. Sometimes it seems like everyone plays an instrument, and, man do we love to play and listen.

2) Sense of humour. We're known in Canada as the funny ones. Half the comedians in Canada hail from Newfoundland.

3) Kindness and generosity. Come From Away. Need I say more.

4) A deep and abiding love of partying. We love nothing more than a kitchen party. Sitting around a kitchen table with instruments in hand and a well stocked fridge with a moose stew simmering on the stove is a Newfoundlander's idea of heaven.

5) Truly sucky weather. This might help to explain the first four. Oh, well. Nothing's perfect. ;)

11. BigDaddyLH

Yeah, we're laughing *with* you!

I keed, I keed! Early this year we were thinking about where to go on a family holiday. We decided we wanted to go somewhere in Canada we hadn't been to before. ... and we had a great time in Newfoundland! Didn't catch any music though, apart from my wife who saw Jeremy Dutcher singing at Woody Point.

darkwaters likes this.
  12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Upper.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. darkwaters

Yeeeaaahhhh. Sure you are Big Daddy. :p

August is the best time for festivals, whales and weather.

14. darkwaters

Woody Point, eh. Were you attending the writer's festival, by any chance ?

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm depressed.

8trackmind and Bassman8 like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

No, we were staying in Rocky Harbour while seeing Gros Morne. The writer's festival was in full swing and that concert was part of it.

darkwaters likes this.
  17. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not too good around here unless you want to play classic rock, southern rock or metal. There's not a lot of imagination or dedication going on, just choose the same songs and go out and do sloppy gigs at bars or VFW's. If I want to get into something worthwhile I usually end up doing a lot of driving which has ups and downs. There are the usual small places and VFW's to play but I'm too old to care about gigging unless a band has something special enough I want people to see us.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. westofthesun

westofthesun TDPRI Member

South of Detroit is an area referred to as Downriver, MI and it's pretty much a musical wasteland filled with predominantly rappers and DJs. My band is limited to a handful of venues in the area. You've got to go to Detroit proper for the real shows. The jazz scene is booming there!

19. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Seems like people would only like metal in the Void.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Santa Barbara and Ventura have some typical clubs that do live music, but only a few. The good news is that there has a boom in microbreweries and wineries,
    and these places like to have live music. Most of them want very small acoustic bands-- two or three players, but some of them want bigger bands that
    plug in, like our funk band. I'm also very fortunate to be playing with the best musicians I've ever played with-- and they're good guys to hang with, too.
    Believe me, I'm not taking it for granted-- I know how lucky I am from there always being a fly or two in the ointment of any other band I've been in.

Probably the biggest issue for us is staying diligent about lining up gigs. We need to do better web and social media, but we do the bare minimum, I suppose.
    It's crazy though-- when I go to a new venue and talk to mgmt about playing, they're not really interested in even listening to our tunes and confirming that we are good
    musicians. They're mostly interested in our social media presence and social media stats. I know that's the new reality but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

TokyoPortrait and Wildcard_35 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.