What's Happened With Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Well not exactly. The 276 was a poor mans SG with stop wrap around bridge, maple body , mahogany neck and maple cap fretboard stained dark. Most I’ve seen the fretboard wood was stained and then tinted clear coat. Mine was just tinted and the maple wears through.

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

My 1st was crap, a Kay that gave me good callouses but not much more. I traded it away decades ago.

3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

My first guitar was a black beauty style Les Paul copy made by Stellar. My mom got it for me, Christmas of 2001. I was 14. It turned out to be a surprisingly good guitar...better than a lot of Epiphones I've played.

I sold it in 2014 when I was packing up for a cross country move. I kicked myself almost as soon as I did it. I scoured Reverb for a few years looking for a replacement and finally bought one that was close enough.

But just a few months ago that very same guitar was listed on Reverb. I bought it the moment I saw it, and I'm thrilled to have it back. I've owned some truly great guitars, but nothing will ever replace this one.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

You should name it Odysseus, it had a long journey and finally came home.
    BTW what was the price change ?

5. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I still have my first guitar, a Zenon that I bought new at Simpson-Sears in 1965 for 29.95. I have it mostly for sentimental value, but every once in a while I pull it out of it case and play it for a few minutes. Every time I do, I marvel at the fact that I persisted and learned to play in spite of it.

[​IMG]

6. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

My first guitar was a plywood GSO (guitar-shaped object) that my girlfriend (now wife) bought from a pawn shop for a hundred bucks. She never played it much but I sure did. Later I bought a Martin (and still later a Tele) and for years it just sat in a corner of my bedroom collecting dust.

Until a couple of years ago I gave it to a friend who does prison ministry--his group brings instruments to jails for the inmates to play. I trust it's doing good work in a high-security ward somewhere.

Fretting out and Steve 78 like this.
  7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Mine was a acoustic i bought back in 1986 i worked for 1 week in a match factory to pay for it
    and what a absolute piece of junk it was a white painted Marlin acoustic yes Marlin not Martin i think before i bought it leprechauns in the store used to limbo dance under the string action
    if i remember correct i part ex it a couple of years later for something equally as bad in the same store we live and learn

8. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

When I was about 9-years-old, circa 1974, Dad came home with an MIJ Alvarez OM-sized acoustic. He thought he wanted to learn guitar but eventually it got handed down to me. It wasn't an electric guitar so my interest in it was minimal. It got passed off to a couple other family members who I don't have contact with. Last I'd heard the top split and the bridge came off. But I still remember how beautiful the mahogany looked on the sides and back. The MOP inlay on the headstock was also exceptional. It was a nice guitar, would love to find another.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  9. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Suzuki acoustic I bought for twenty Irish Pounds in 1983.

Headstock broken a few years later and never successfully repaired.

Still have the body in the attic.

I might make a new neck for it sometime....

The wizards of the Tele Home Depot will hopefully enjoy laughing at my ineptitude.

:)

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My mother sold it in a yard sale while I was away at college, along with my 2 dirt bikes:mad::mad::mad::mad:

11. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

It was a Montoya Strat that I sold to some guy with six fingers. No idea where it is now. Prepare to die.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Not really mine, but the "family guitar" was this awful steel stringed parlor guitar, with some frets missing and super high action, and I attached the two leads of an unused electrical cord to two of the strings (or maybe the steel bridge) and inserted the plug at the other end into the socket. And then

upload_2019-7-15_20-9-44.jpeg

Actually, the fuse blew and the guitar was only slightly damaged, no more sucky than before. You couldn't even get a nice percussive sound out of it, drumming on the body with your hands or fingers. Very sentimental about that thing.

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I still have it - a mid 80's "Fant Asia" Les Paul Special copy. Horrible guitar. More like a guitar-shaped object. I moved on to a partscaster after that, which I also still have and play regularly.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mine was a Winston guitar from Skaggs Hardware Store in Hayward, CA for $39.95 with matching amp in 1966. It was a crappy guitar, but with my Bob Dylan songbook, I learned a lot. After about a year, I upgraded to a Fender Jazzmaster (after the Strat I wanted got sold). I gave the Winston to my nephew. He was in a motorcycle accident and was institutionalized for the rest of his short life. I don't know what happened to the guitar.

15. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

My first was a Framus 6-string acoustic. Back in about 1971. I had to sell it to pay rent when I was in university at that time so I only had it for a short time. I got my Norman 12-string around the same time though and I still have it and it is still my #1 with all its dings and dents and travels around the country. Wonderful guitar!

16. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Good on you, brother! Helping those who need help is never a bad thing to do and this was a real kindness.

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

First acoustic was a 60s import from I don't know where. Interesting story, the son of the guy that had the Berkley fishing tackle buisness in Spirit Lake Iowa imported cheap guitars in the 60s when he was a teenager. (now he makes some high end ones) That guitar ended up in the trash or burned.
    First electric was a Kingston import built to the same low standard. I smashed the hell out of one day. If I found another like it, I'd buy it and smash it too.
    Both of those came from a time when you had to spend some money to get anything worth playing. Even the cheap USA guitars were basically junk, now their vintage.
    Today you actually can buy fairly decent playable guitars really cheap.

18. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

My first real electric guitar was a 1989 Fender Squier MIK, S s/n and a Peavey Bandit 65 as a package.

The dude I bought it from was getting out of gigging and sold off his gear.

The Squier had some work done on it and had a marvelous neck and unknown pick ups, played and sounded fantastic. It was the best Strat I have ever played.

I eventually, gave the guitar and amp to my son when he needed a Strat. He still has it and we play together in a jam band.

I tried to replace the Squier but went through quite a few Strats and have stopped searching, settling for what I have.

YMMV

19. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

No name acoustic. I gave it to a friend to learn on.

20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ouch!

I still have mine. It's a no-name japanese acoustic, with a lifted bridge and a cool 3-piece back. Purchased in 1973 from a pawn shop in Central Square, Cambridge MA for $100.

DSCF2186.JPG DSCF2185.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.