What's Happened With Your First Guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jul 14, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it was over 55 years ago but it was a cheap Kay acoustic hand me down. I have no idea what happened to it. It gave way to a Silvertone acoustic that was supposedly made my Harmony. It was actually a nice acoustic for the money. I learned most of my early stuff (Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel) on that Silvertone. I have no recollection of what happened to it.
    My first electric was also a Silvertone w amp in a case (no idea what happened to it) followed by a Hagstrom.

2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

An old no name and unplayable acoustic I paid $5.00 for, which was $5.00 too much. I gave it to a young nephew when I finally got a playable guitar years later. As this was about 1970 I’m sure it’s long gone.

Shuster and brookdalebill like this.
  3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

My first guitar was some rental monstrosity from the place where I took lessons. My aunt felt sorry for me, and saw that I was into learning, so she loaned me her late 40's Gibson acoustic. What a revelation! I think my cousin still has that one.

My first electric came after much lusting after the offerings in the Sears catalog. Why get only 2 or 3 pickups when you can get 4? My parents ignored me and for Christmas in 1963, bought me a Guild Freshman, semi-hollow, single soapbar pickup, that had been hanging on the wall at the music store. I knew enough to appreciate that this was way more guitar than the crap I had been looking at, and it was so easy to play! it came with a little National amp with one big volume knob, that I wish I still had. I traded that for a big 2-12" Danelectro, which I wish I still had.

Still have the Guild though, and it's still my favorite. Needs a little attention now, and it's going in soon for that. If I can get a pic to post I will.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually found my brothers Diamond aria from 50some years ago.
    Mine might be tougher.

Kay Vanguard, no name neck
    kay vanguard.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I lucked out. I was a teenager living in Greece and bought a great acoustic for $40, Gaboon fingerboard, Mahogany back sides and bridge, Cedar top. Sounded much better than a friends Martin. It was destroyed when I was run over by a Tractor Trailer. From the same Luthier I had an Electric done for $30. Maple neck, Mahogany body, Gaboon fingerboard. That I still have. Just a 60s Gibson HB in the neck which has been removed so I can put in SH -14s in the neck and bridge.

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, hmm, thanks for bringing that up. :(

My first guitar was a Takamine F-360 that I bought from a music store in my territory when I first became an ad salesman. It was a very good guitar to start on, but fast-forward 30 years and I got sort of snotty about solid tops, so I relegated the F-360 to classroom guitar duty.

As a teacher it was always my habit to keep my room open during lunch, and let kids come and go, and I'd come and go myself. What happened to the F-360 was one of the very few bad results of that incautious policy. I returned to my room to find it with a crater about 1/2" deep, shaped for all the world like a golf ball had hit it, dead center in its back. I found out later whodunit, but never exactly how, and the boy never 'fessed up.

Thank goodness for poly-finished plywood, the guitar remained intact and it was still playable, but that took the rest of its magic out for me. I gave it to a colleague who wanted to learn, and he later lost track of it in the course of a divorce.

I sometimes wish I had it back, just because it's my first Tak and I'm a Tak nut.

IMadeYouReadThis and Shuster like this.
  7. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a Gibson ES 225. I was stolen in a home burglary. Unfortunately I don't even have a picture of it.

8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first, was this older cute little filly that showed me no mercy, oh wait,,, guitar:twisted:
    It was a Harmony Acoustic, I really never knew how to tune it way back then? People would show me how with something they blew in, now that's an A, that's a D,,etc
    I would just look at them with that WTH are you talking about look?? It was sold to one of the guy's I worked with in 97', never missed it, and he love it,,, Win~Win;)

9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I rocked my bedroom with a early 1960's Fender Music Master and Motorola reel to reel tape recorder. Sold the Fender to buy drugs, couldn't give the tape recorder away, ended up throwing it away. Miss them...

IMadeYouReadThis and Torren61 like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My first was a Silvertone, circa '58 or so I think. My second was a Duo Sonic and Brown Deluxe.
    [​IMG]

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

I had one of these. They are seriously underrated guitars.

Fretting out likes this.
  12. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

My first guitar was a Hohner acoustic, and it got stolen from I lived at with several roommates. Probably some acquaintance of someone took it. I felt violated.

Shuster likes this.
  13. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Everybody has their words, but never heard,, " I would have thrown it in the tip" I'm taking it, tip is the trash can or such??

Steve 78 likes this.
  14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My first was an Emenee "Tiger guitar" for Christmas '65. I had some cheap acoustics and then bought my first 'real' guitar in '73 - Les Paul Deluxe. Routed it out for humbuckers that week. Still have it.

IMAG0228.jpg

Tiger:

IMadeYouReadThis, Shuster and Zepfan like this.
  15. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

My first was an Ibanez Roadstar II from 1984. It’s been through a few changes along the way, but I still have it (probably always will).

Shuster likes this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Is that an ebonised maple board?, that fret board looks hardcore/cool

17. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

First guitar was a Samick acoustic. Sold it to my friend several years back.

18. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Some no name acoustic nylon string guitar. I took it and my clarinet and traded them in on a no name steel string acoustic. The steel string got traded with cash for a Fender Mustang. The Mustang got traded along with a Fuzz Face for a Gibson SG. The SG was later stolen. Then I bought an Alvarez acoustic which got stolen. Finally I bought a 74 Telecaster Custom which I still have today and then moved away from Kansas City. Never lost another guitar after that.

19. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I lent it to Quentin Tarantino. Big mistake.

Teleterr and Steve 78 like this.
  20. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Haha, the tip is landfill or "refuse disposal facility" it appears to be called these days. The dump I guess you'd call it?

P Thought, Torren61 and Shuster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.