1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

My buddy has a cv. And he asked me to strip the Body for him (he didn't like the thick Milky looking Plastic finish). I passed after reading so many horror stories on how hard it was to remove.

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

its not hard, just tedious.

3. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I like the neck especially the width of the '50s CV - an actual 1-11/16".

4. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Lol I hear that. I just don't like anything that's tedious. I hear it either comes off in 1 lb. strips, or if you use a heat gun it will actually melt the whole Guitar.

5. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

You must have the only one like that. Everyone I have seen on a bench has a thick finish.

6. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Thank You

7. surfoverb

you can kind of see here where there is a chip under the route. The chip is where paint didnt adhere to the spray shielding) This chip is thinner than the nitro alone on my 52RI let alone the poly underneath that. an dyou can see the little chips around the screw holes. there is no reason to use more paint than needed, so just looking at it cost-wise it makes sense to finish them thin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Are all cv's routed for Humbuckers?

9. surfoverb

my CIJ went from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a lot of work, took about 8 hours of sanding over 2 days time. I sanded the tip of my finger off, and the neck router hump.

But! It came out awesome! And I swear it sounds more resonant post-refinish; Unplugged that is. My 52RI was always louder unplugged but now this one blows it away. But once you crank up an 85watt amp those subtle differences disappear faster than a fart in a windstorm. (still worth mentioning though as acoustic properties must have some effect on the final sound the pickups hear.) another thing, after stripping I found the body is 1 piece. all the lines can be followed and they dont terminate anywhere. Very light too, just under 7Lbs. not bad for parts rummaged through Ebay over several moinths time.

I love this guitar! Rumpelstiltskin Broadcaster pickups, Glendale historic coldrolled 5/16 steel saddles, heavy bridgeplate from my squier CVC (its a tad thicker=moore beef=less twang)....

and here she is next to my 52RI. can you tell which is which?

[​IMG]

10. surfoverb

oh yeah! Im gonna put one in if I have time.

11. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Send me a sound clip. :)

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I could have bought a new '52 Hot Rod a couple months back for $1300 OTD, but I just couldn't get over that switch tip. Then they offered me a Nocaster for 50% off wouldn't you know it, the guitar, pickups, neck, even the finish were perfect, BUT I COULDN'T STAND THAT DAMNED SWITCH TIP! I guess the only way to get what I want is to go to the custom shop, pick out a SWITCH TIP and have a Tele built around it.

13. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Best post of the thread.

14. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

In this pic did you try and remove the finish? If so I know how hard it is. Way to much Poly.

http://[​IMG]

15. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

You couldn't pay me to buy a 52 hot rod or a nocaster. On those things I don't even know what the switch tip looks like. Good try poking fun, but atleast poke fun with a guitar that I acknowledge.

16. surfoverb

this is the refinsh with reranch nitro blode and minwax clear. its stupid thin. the only thinner finish on a guitar i have is my Gibson 70s tribute.

17. surfoverb

its like that commercial with the yuppie women who goes to an architech with a faucet and says, " I wanna house built around this." lol

18. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Well no, not with regards to neck width (it's the same as just about any other tele), but with regards to neck thickness, I've found every Squier Tele I've owned over the years (including the CV Thinline I used to have), to be rather thin with regards to neck thickness from front to back. It's probably one of the main reasons, why I never held on to them for more than a month or two. It wasn't until I bought an MIM '69 Reissue Thinline, that I finally had a Tele, with a chunkier neck (sadly, that guitar was sold during a money crunch). The MIM Classic 50s Esquire, I now have, has an even chunkier neck (but not in a baseball bat manner [thankfully] more like some of the newer, chunky '52 RI necks). Now I will admit, that the standard MIMs can be a bit on thin side at times, with regard to the necks (the FSR Black Paisley I used to have, had a pretty thin neck).

Don't get me wrong, the CVs are nice guitars - if you don't mind the guitar having a thin neck (in some cases, almost as thin as an Ibanez Wizard profile neck). But, not every player likes a thin/slim neck.

19. rokett

rokett Tele-Meister

I don't need more guitars than my three CV 50's bsb lh (except my 62 RI MIJ Tele and my four Fender Strats ;))

Attached Files:

20. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I keep hearing the terms, "thin, slim, medium, not so thin" thrown around when describing the CV 50s neck. Anyone have a set of calipers they can take to theirs and give us some numbers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.