1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

You make it sound as though the guitars are all hand-made.

MIM guitars are made by CNC routers in Mexico. Squiers are made by CNC routers in China/Korea etc. Regardless of where the factories may be located....

2. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Not sure what the radius has to do with the thin necks? The C-Shape on my CV50 is almost identical to my MIM Standard, great neck. The CVC and the CV Thinline are very thin from back of neck to fret board. Just really thin but still a C-Shape. I don't dislike it, but prefer the fatter neck.

IowaCarver

3. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

We agree on that point for sure, like I said in my post everyone has their own preference to how a guitar is setup so ootb it doesn't really matter. The only reason it matters to me, is to show that the guitar has at least had a basic checkover.

They usually set them up as low as possible which doesn't suit my style but it's reassuring to know how low it will go without rattle and that it has passed through human hands at some point. It's just reassuring and gives added confidence to me to see the qc measurements written down and have a guitar that doesn't fret buzz like a swarm of angry bees. Even though I set my own guitars up, I've been disappointed myself to receive a new £800 guitar that came with unplayable rattle and buzz, it was fine after tweaking but it's a disappointing first impression none the less.

I'm sure most of us on this forum, fiddle, mod and setup guitars until the cows come home but for a new player buying their first guitar, I'm sure they'd be happier to have one setup and buzz free from the minute they open the box. Some kids will buy a guitar and do nothing to it other than tune it (if they even get that far before immediately pumping out barre chords!), and I'm sure they'd love a CV.

4. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Thx for the reply, Colchar. Go, Leafs, go!

Also to IowaCarver, who clarified a couple of things for me.

Cheers!

5. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

On my planet there is no greater guitar player than Chuck Prophet.

6. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Oh really? Jeff Healey was a sensational guitarist and he played Squiers. Nancy Wilson plays Epiphones and, although not usually considered a 'great', she can have her choice of any guitar in the world.

And many people would consider Gary Rossington to be one of the greats and, as seen from this pic, he has no problem playing a Squier in a live situation and I bet he sounded as good as ever while playing it:

[​IMG]

7. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

You really have to try one to appreciate the Guitar. Foolishly, when I saw one on t'internet, I phoned my local Guitar Shop (Music Bros) and ordered one on looks and reputation alone.
    It is beautiful to look at, have had the pickguard off and it is immaculate where it can't be seen. It oozes quality.
    I (thankfully) find it a great Guitar to play too and seems so similar in feel to my Strat AVRI '57.
    It's a great Guitar for the money, but they are getting so popular, they are coming onto the secondhand market and only fetching £220.
    So if you want to buy one, go secondhand and grab an amazing bargain.

8. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Probably 40 years, everyone knows how crappy the 70's Fenders were.

You got me! For a minute I thought you were serious.

9. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

It's called justification. Everybody wants to think that their decisions are correct so, generally speaking, those that buy a CV want to congratulate themselves for being so smart that they didn't waste money on a more expensive model while those that buy Custom Shop models want to think that every dollar they paid for it is worth it.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters. I'm just happy that there are Fenders at every price point so we can all get one that fits our financial situation.

10. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

I'm not impressed by them. the toothpick neck is one of the biggest turn offs, then the pickups. the the pots they use, I don't like thge switch tip.

i'd rather have a guitar i am 100% happy with without modding it.

11. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Tele-Meister

haha... You don't like the switch tip? The other stuff I can justify, but not liking the switch tip as a reason for not buying a guitar is a new one I don't think I've ever heard before.

FWIW, I swapped the switch tip on mine for one from the 50's model...did it all by myself too.

12. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

He doesn't like them get over it. Not everyone does. What I don't get is how does a Guitar with a Pine body weigh over 9 lbs.?

13. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

There's actually nothing wrong with the pots, either.

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

same reason an ash or alder tele weighs 9lbs. Not all of them do.

15. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

I have an Ash Tele that weighs just under 7 lbs. Is it broken?

16. surfoverb

what is your point? ive seen 7-8 lbs pine squiers, and 10 lbs 52hotrods.

17. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

May have something to do with all the Poly the chinese use on these Guitars. 7 Lbs of Wood and "Metal" and 2 lbs of Poly finish.

But for the Money they are a decent entry level Guitar. Except for the neck pickup. It sucks.

18. surfoverb

the finish is really thin. a lot thinner than on my 52RI.

and how can a 7lbs guitar be made of 7lbs of wood and 2 lbs of finish? that doesnt really add up.

these are the typical arguments people have againts squiers. nothing based on reason just words like "it sucks"

19. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

That's funny all the one's I have seen have very thick and "Milky" looking finish.

20. surfoverb

yeah I was surprised how thin the finish is. all my teles have a thinner finish than my 52RI, especially my mim 60s and CIJ. i think the cij is urethane though. i stripped that one by hand, and I tried knocking down the sheen on my mim and got a sandthrough -with a srcubby

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.