1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Please do not compare a cv to a JV. Cv's are decent Guitars for the Money but a long way from a JV.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Having bought one JUST BECAUSE I DIDN'T BELIEVE THE HYPE, I gotta confess that the bridge pup on these sounds pretty dam incredible. Run the action down low, back the tone off half and spank the livin' crap out of a sweet playin' unit that you can steal for 150-200 pretty reliably on most C-list. And that's where it shines...grab it and play it. You don't have to spend another nickel on it....

And for the record? My calipers say the neck is no skinnier than my mex...who knew?

3. unccivil

unccivil Tele-Meister

Into one of those really rare one piece CVC bodies

4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A lot of good info and opinion in just a day. Re Squier v. Epiphone, I can tell you what a shop owner told me. MIM Fenders are all built in one factory by people that just build Fenders. Squier and Epiphone are both built in different factories and different countries, and some of these factories make many other guitars. That said, there have been some great Epiphones and Squiers made and sold. You gotta know which ones they are, and make sure they're still the same as when their rep was earned, and then make sure each individual example lives up to their overall reputation.
    The CV and its individual variations seem to be one more reason to read this forum for a good long while before you buy, then go out and test guitars head to head for more time still..
    Re the spelling, I suppose we should give folks the benefit of the doubt that they typed it right and then their dang-blang autocorrect 'fixed' it...

5. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Just because I've not seen it mentioned yet, I quite like my Classic Vibe Thinline. First real guitar I owned, I learned to play on a little sub-1/2 scale toy my mom got me when I was 14 that I didn't even touch or years. I also have a Japanese or Korean, not sure which, Encore from the 70s, a clone of the Gibson L6. Both guitars are cheap, both are good, both were made overseas. Given, my Encore is a copy of the cheaper L6, with the 3 way switch instead of the rotary, but it's nice. If a little beat up.

As for the tele, I've only tried out the classic vibe ones. We didn't have the cash for anything more expensive, and we actually went into GC looking to find a Dean guitar. But it sounds nice, I've only cut myself when changing strings, and it doesn't go out of tune. And I mean that, I checked it after it sat for a good month and a half on the stand in my room, I think the G was a tad off. Of course, I'm in San Diego, our weather goes from 40s at night to 80s in the day most time, so nothing huge.

6. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

I consider them Fenders even though I guess they technically are not. I have a MIM Standard... I love it. I have a CV50 BSB, love it and the necks are the same C Shape... I also have a CV Thinline.... skinny neck, feels great and sounds great. Just great values. I like all three very much and don't regret buying any of them.

This year I hope to buy 2 more teles... a CV50 Vintage Blonde and a Fender MIM Nashville Deluxe. Can't wait to get both of them.

I am curious though if any of you think the frets on the Classic Vibe frets are lower quality? I play my MIM and the CV50 about the same amount and have just started to see some signs of the little grooves in the open chord area frets on not just the CV50 but the MIM Tele as well. Same size med jumbo frets I believe.

Thanks,
    IowaCarver

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

So if he has "one of the best Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster collections in the world" why is he playing a CV on his latest album?

8. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I can't think of anything bad to say about my CV Thinline either (avatar). I picked it up over the summer off my local CL for $200.00 with a hard case. The jack was busted so I replaced it with an electrosocket. Plays and sounds nice with the stock pickups. I like it! The old school tuners work great too. This is a good guitar, no matter what name is on the headstock.

9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

necks are to damn thin!

10. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

It's the Bamboo content. :)

11. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

I bought me another CV and another CV maple neck of the BAY...I prefer maple...I did however change the bridge (only because I like the Wilkinson compensated saddles nothing wrong with the original) and I road worn mine again beautiful guitar I'm partial to road worns...I love these guitars as well as the necks...

I love my 1990 52 RI, and my Fender 60's Road Worn, a Welch Twang Slinger,Deluxe (which is a great guitar itself), as well and my 2 new 2012 American standards....but my first grab is my CVC, I open for national acts and doesn't bother me one bit to play it at these shows and in fact I get quite a few inquiries...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a lot of Ney sayers and everyone has an opinion doesn't mean one is right over the other, so go try a few out and decide for yourself :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's an interesting wear pattern on the headstock where the logo used to be! :twisted:

13. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

There is a mom and pop store up in the next town that takes the time to set up their guitars...mostly lower end stuff, Squiers, Gretsch Special Jets etc.

They usually have some CVs on the floor, they typically play nice, I always have half a mind to pick one up for the heck of it, but I just can't get past the necks...too skinny for me, not real comfortable.

14. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

Actually it's not because of the logo and since then have worn the whole headstock...And I'm never ashamed to tell anyone what it is...

I also use a non RW CV and I also have 2 La Cabronita build's that I used CV necks on and did the same thing to RW the guitar...When people check it out they still see the Squire neck plate ;)

[​IMG]

15. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Tele-Meister

I still am amazed they can even build a guitar of this high of quality, with perfect frets, binding, finish, etc. for the price they sell them for. Anyone who isn't impressed by this guitar for under 400 bucks is pretty hard to impress. These are great guitars, plain and simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

^^^^ totally agree - despite being among my most "economical" guitars, my 3 CV's remain among my favorites! Another is my Squier VMJM........and I have quite a few that cost many times over what these Squiers did. Good is good regardless of price.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not meaning to be a jerk at all but do try them out and then you'll be able to form your own opinions and as you can see those here vary greatly.

There are those of us who own several Teles including MIAs and CS models who think they're very good guitars that with a little modification become great guitars for a fraction of the price of others.

Then there are those who wouldn't have one of them non-'Merican made Chinese sumbitches anywhere near their precious red, white and blue Fenders. Different strokes so go learn about them first hand. :D

18. mdrake34

mdrake34 Tele-Meister

If they had the neck profile of an MIM or american standard tele, I would own a CVC and it would be my main guitar. But even with my small hands the necks are too small. My hand started cramping after 5 minutes of playing one the two different times I have tried them.

19. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, I have an idea. How about we all just buy and play whatever we like?

:idea:

:eek:

:D

20. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Then there would be no need for internet forums. Could you imagine. You pick the guitar and amp you like.. then instead of posting about it you play it... that would never work.. ever...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.