1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

The neck on my CV50 isn't really thin at all. It's actually quite comfortable.

Mine is a workhorse. I like having something rugged that I can beat up and it'll still play well. Also, mine stays in tune better than any guitar I've ever had.

I was thinking of buying a nice Les Paul recently, but I know I'd go nuts over it and always be scared I'd ding it up. I'd probably keep it in a case and not use it much. I buy guitars to play, not to keep in cases.

With my CV, I have no fears or thoughts of this and I play it and bang it around all I want. I love that guitar.

2. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

WTF is spelt?

I know we didn't invent English in America, but spelt can't be legit.

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

4. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Today I gigged my modified Fender MIM Tele. It took me a few years to find one that had more of a vague soft V feeling neck rather than the modern C.

My buddy asked me why I hadn't brought my Squier VM Tele Special. I realized I should have brought it.:oops:

5. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

I've not owned one but I have played a couple. Like I said, they are pretty cool and with a little work can be great. But the frets aren't smooth like on the more expensive guitars and they are uncomfortable. It's an easy fix.

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I have the 50's Strat... fiesta red, maple board and al-3 pups. I replaced the neck and mid pups with blackface Lollars (yes, LOLLARS) and kept the al-3 in the bridge. Also replaced the pup switch, cap and pots.

Darn thing looks, plays and sounds like a dream... all for around $500.

TOP THAT!!!

rz

7. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

8. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I like mine. Try it You'll Like it. You won't gag I promise.

wink wink , nudge nudge.

9. Stu Gotts 68

Stu Gotts 68 TDPRI Member

They are not as good or better than a custom shop guitar, and NO the neck does not stab your hand, people please. Stu

10. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

I´m happy with mine CVC.
    A good guitar, OK it is Cheap but very much guitar for the money :)

11. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I've seen great guitarists play cheap guitars... (OK, HERE IT GOES AGAIN) they can make anything with wood and strings sound awesome!!!! The beauty of it is that they don't have to spend $10,000 to sound good!!! $250 will do...

IT'S ALL, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, IN THE CREATIVE MIND AND HANDS!!!

(pssst... just ask jj cale)

rz

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We're not gonna see "the greats" playing these because it is bad business to do so. The manufacturer wants "the great" to play one of the most expensive models, and so unless you're Chuck Prophet you're gonna listen the money guys and not play Squiers at least in public.

Yes, we hear rumors that Andy Partridge or whomever has used an inexpensive Squier but the truth is, there's ZERO proof that one of "the greats" will sound good using these because it simply is not going to happen.

13. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

+1.

an unabashed vote "for" :

try finding a *new* 3 tone sunburst, double bound BODY ALONE, made to vintage fender tele specs for less than $350. seriously. if you like that visual component, you will not find a body like that for that price. anywhere. much less a whole guitar.

And with this, you get a platform for future mods for a very low price. put great pickups in it. put a fender neck on it. upgrade the pots. you'll be under $800 for a 3ts, double bound tele. And you won't find a new guitar like that for that price either. anywhere. and a used one... well.. probably not likely to get one for that price either, unless it's someone's partscaster.

btw. It doesn't feel or sound too shabby stock either.

14. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There was a time when Squiers were looked down on. Some friends went guitar shopping for their son. They hadn't looked at guitars since the mid-90s. They were surprised and dismissive when the salesman had them look at Squiers as they always considered them "beginner" guitars. They were set straight and were also surprised when I told them that that's what I currently play. The CV50 Vintage Blonde is a fine guitar. Bought mine used for $150 which is remarkable.

15. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

I have a CV Precision, and its as good as some - but not all - of the American Standards I've tried out recently.

16. Lobotomy Boy

Lobotomy Boy TDPRI Member

I know for a fact that one of the best guitarists alive used Classic Vibes on an extremely high-profile album with one of the world's top producers. They weren't stock--they had Lollars installed--but this particular guitarist also owns one of the best Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster collections in the world. It was through him that I found out about the Classic Vibes. But you are right; even though he used these on his latest album, he doesn't broadcast this fact because he's got endorsement deals with both Gibson and Fender, and they'd rather sell high-buck repos of his famous guitars than inexpensive Squiers.

17. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I have a CV Jazz Bass and it's as good a some Americans I've played. The Jazz is a HUGE bang for the buck Classic Vibe. It's what got me to even try the CV Teles. I thought I would never ever buy a "Squier", but I was looking for a cheap Bass. After I saw the quality of the Jazz Bass I went back and tried a CVC(Bought it), went back to try the CV BSB(bought it). Three great guitars for the price of a good American made........................sweet!!!

18. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If the OP said he wanted to do a John Mayer CV relic it definitely would

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With quotes from Ted Nugent carved into the body.

20. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Without going to Google...is that the guy from XTC?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.