1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Pepe

Pepe Tele-Meister

There you go! I'd say you've got a representative cross-section of opinions, for a short tread. Some experience, some bias....

Which would you prefer to have informing your own opinion? ;)

2. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

My CV50 strat is the only guitar I have that I haven't modded with upgraded tuners or pickups. It's not great sounding or playing, but it's good enough. I like it. I love the way it looks.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's kind of like when the Honda 90 Trail bike came out, everyone had to have one.

4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

:cool:

5. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

try 'em out,and form your own opinion-I personally love 'em!!

6. NickDanger

NickDanger Tele-Meister

On the one hand, I would have killed to have a guitar of this quality and price point in the 60's when I was learning to play. On the other hand, I'm thankful at this point in my life that I am able to own and play guitars of a much higher quality than these.

Having experienced both ends of the spectrum, I say it's probably the best "starter" axe ever built.

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I agree about the 60's ,same here but I think the CV's are good enough to both start and finish a career if you need to.There is not a lot, if anything, needs replacing and the neck profile is thin on some which many will not like .The pickups are good but not that good .Good enough to gig with like frankly most guitars these days .They always put me in mind of the original Squier and Fender JV series from Japan ,same sort of mojo and feel .I have owned both .I believe Fender intended this .The JV series relaunched a revived Fender when the factory shut down in the eighties.
    There are better guitars and worse but at that price point ,not many .That was Fenders intention .Certainly no Custom shop but no dud either .Just a good well made well priced guitar .It would be more honest if they said Fender on the head stock.

8. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

So what do you think to YOUR Squier CV, Toto'sDad?

9. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

When the CVC is set up properly, it is a beautiful guitar. On par with fender. This is my opinion, I'm sure others think differently however. I am by no means a cork sniffer, but I do own a few expensive guitars, and have access through family/friends to more.

IMHO, the VM Squier is a tiny bit less well built than the CV

I purchased mine in September of 2009, and it has been my main axe ever since. I play in a band which plays in bars 3-5 weekends a month.

I replaced the switch with a CTS, and put a cap on the pots so the highs don't roll off...OH and an electro socket, but thats it.

Rock on!

[​IMG]

10. Toto'sDad

Well, you got me right there Fatmanstratman, I don't have a Squier CV, but I understand the fascination with them. I've played a lot of them, just not my cup of tea, so far, never say never.

11. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I have both the CVC and the BSB. I love skinny necks so these guitars are great for me. I also have a MIM Tele and I just hate it. I've played my BSB everyday since I got it,2 years. To me it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of this guitar because it literally inspires me to play guitar. I smile every time I look at it. I haven't been this excited about a guitar since 1987 when I bought my PRS, and I've been thru a lot of guitars since then.

12. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

.....spelt

I must be getting old :lol:

13. Toto'sDad

You probably spelled it right down there in Australia, but by the time it got up here, well it happens all the time.

14. creading

creading Tele-Holic

I would love to be able to afford several Custom Shop telecasters but unfortunately that probably will never happen.
    Over the course of the last two years I did however buy a Squier 50' vibe blond/pine/maple neck and a 60's vibe 3color sunburst /rosewood fingerboard. I love the necks on both of them.
    I am perfectly happy with the quality and craftmanship of both guitars.
    I have owned Gibsons and other 'high end' guitars so it's not like I have no referance of comparison.
    I have the stock set up electronically and maybe some day I'll upgrade pick ups etc. for for the time being the stock ones sound just fine to me.

You have to play them for yourself and then make your decisicion. I doubt that you can beat them for the price.

15. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

For the price, I like the CV Squiers better than the lower priced Fenders, but not the higher priced Fenders, especially the vintage reissues, which are almost all very nice.

I used to have a VM Squier and it was fine, but the pots were pretty low quality. The neck was indeed thin, but nothing "stabbed" me and the fret ends were pretty smooth. Of course, I bought it at Ludlow Guitars in Manhattan and those fellows make sure they set their guitars up very well before they let them out the door, even if it is just a Squier.

I actually found the neck on that guitar nice enough that I took it off and used it on a parts-built Esquire.

16. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Spelt?

Attached Files:

17. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

....Spell......a break from work, holiday.

Back to the CV thing, a friend of mine is buying one and will prob bring it over for a set up, so I'll be checking it out against Tele's I've had/have .

18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wanna see a REAL fuss-fest? Ask about relicing a Classic Vibe. That should bring just about everybody running to join in the melee.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the fretwork on these, at least from the factory, is REALLY nice. If there's fret growth, that's neglect, not the guitar's fault.

I think these are meant to be stored behind the bar, and used as they are, and not modded, except a better jack prong and electrosocket, maybe a more regular fret level and crown since the wire is a little soft.

So, basically I disagree 90% with the above post. :neutral:

+

They're not perfect. The necks are too thin, and are no doubt very susceptible to movement in winter. You can pay too much if you get into the hype too much. If you buy (and pay full price) intending to replace the neck and/or the pickups you have loose hardware, because the value advantage is then lost. I don't actually buy them because of where they're made but I am not so foolish as to say, there's no reason why guys have flipped for them.

20. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Are you the voice in my head? You echo my view entirely! I had a MIM that I hated and two years on my CVC still excites me and makes me smile whenever I play it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.