1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Variety is what will keep you healthy...

2. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if you meant it that way, but I take that pretty literally. I think my hands stay stronger, my technique is better, when I don't play the same guitar every time I pick one up. I think different scale lengths and neck profiles force me to work the muscles just a little differently and keep me flexible.

And that could all be my imagination, rationalizing my own choices. It happens. As it is, I have a G&L and Gretsch and a junkjard dog of a Telemaster, with two different scale lengths and 3 slightly different neck shapes/sizes. Then I have a Gibson "1930s Jumbo," or "Original Jumbo," depending on who you ask, a custom shop variation on the specs of the original slope-shouldered dred that preceded the J-35. It has a much bigger neck than all of the above. And I like it just fine. It's a cannon, and as long as it sounds that good, I'll find my way around the neck and, according to my philosophy stated above, be a better player for it :).

My earlier point, admittedly overstated, was that this whole thing of fussing over tiny increments in neck thickess at this fret or that, and CVDU...it's mostly fashion. Maybe not even that serious. Fad. That's not to say that no one out there is getting any benefit from one profile vs. another, but I'd bet that the average guitar player out who doesn't spend a lot of time on internet discussion boards, would have little idea what we're talking about.

It is an obsession of the obsessed. Get your thumb back there where it belongs and you won't even know which profile you're playing. :) A joke; I'm as guilty as anyone of sloppy left hand technique.

P

3. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

A CVC, and a good player.........

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I agree! I have a Warmouth boat-neck on one tele, [love it], a classic vibe blonde tele with the med. thin neck that I find very fast and smooth, a Seagull S6 acoustic with a pretty big neck, and a CV50 Strat with a medium thin neck..... And I think, that by rotating them, more of my hand muscles are strengthened...... If one set of muscles start to get sore from playing my CVs too long, I switch to my boat-neck. I also have 3 entirely different profiles on my three bases.. Same deal on those, for me. :):):)

5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

My hand doesn't get sore......shoulder yes....hand?....not for years

6. Willyguitar

Willyguitar Tele-Meister

I know this has been rehearsed so much before, but I do think these are really great guitar, and not just for the money.

I have owned several telecasters, and they have never quite done it for me as a main gigging axe. My number one has been, mostly, a Les Paul Junior. But recently I picked up a CV 50s (having owned one before, but finding it, eventually heavy), and really liked it - light, well made, v resonant. Now, it is getting an increasing place in our set lists. Wonderful bridge pickup - ballsy, alnico 3, which is quite well balanced with a v good neck pickup. Mine is easily the best tele I've had for middle positions too (at least through my AC30). It is the first tele I have had that doesn't irritate me on the treble strings (in the past either too ice-picky, and when you roll of the tone, too non-existent - and most of my teles were either high end Mex or American). This one has strong but not over-powering treble. As someone said on about p. 3 - EQ the amp right, roll of the tone to half/two thirds or so, and roll back the volume slightly, and it is heavenly on the bridge pickup.

7. organic

organic TDPRI Member

Lovely sound, may have to get a stablemate for my BSB.

8. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Pronounce aluminium...

9. daznic

daznic Tele-Meister

I've had two Classic vibes, a 60's strat and a CVC Telecaster, I've also had a Mexican 60's Strat, and a MIM Nashville Tele.

I loved the two Squires, really great build, imaculate finish & wonderful pickups.
    BUT that neck again !! - The strat had to have a truss rod adjustment weekly, the neck was so flexible, so it had to go.
    Then came the CVC telecaster - awesome guitar, I convinced myself I could get over the thin neck - I have small hands with stubby fingers. But no - just felt so wrong, It lasted just a couple of weeks with me.
    It's a real shame, because I loved everything else about the guitars - if they had bigger necks I really wouldn't feel the need to have the USA Standard Strat and the USA Special Telecaster that I now play. The squier actually sounded better than the USA IMO.
    I don't think we will ever see a thicker neck on a Squier, keeps the cost down. But thinking about it, what about the neck on the Squier custom with the P90's - that neck is nice & fat isn't it ?

10. rokett

rokett Tele-Meister

You could see, believe me! I own three CV 50's bsb and one had a thicker neck than the other two. Not baseball-bat-like, but you can feel and measure it. It's the left one. The pickups also have a little more output than the other two Tele pu's. Everything is original, no mods on this brilliant guitar. A real Rock'n Roll Twanger :D

Attached Files:

11. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Mine must not be special then. If all yours sound as good as mine. It;s got more twang than i have heard come outta a fender. I love it.

12. Mahifrenzy

Mahifrenzy TDPRI Member

I also heard the fuss about the Squire CV and I figured there must be something to it. I saw a used one at my local shop and I snagged it for $170. Then I realized what everyone liked about these guitars. They sound awesome, beautiful feeling necks, well built, and they look freekin cool. After I bought one I became obsessed and began hunting them. Now I have one in drop tuning, open g and standard.

Attached Files:

13. jmczaja

jmczaja TDPRI Member

I've got a CV50''s BSB that i use for open G and love it.. My only gripe is that the finish is so damn thick and feels a bit plastic-y. They play and feel great though!

14. T is for Tele

T is for Tele Tele-Meister

All I know is that I want a black and white CVC which I will probably add new necks to.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Epicitus thread.

16. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I was in the market for a 'Strat a while ago, and I had the same problem as you with most of the Squier models, including the Classic Vibes. The nuts were too narrow, the necks too spindly, the strings too close for my big fingers.

Then I found a Squier Standard (Strat, in my case, but there is also a Standard Tele). No more spindly neck - it's 1 11/16" at the nut, which is the most you're going to get out of a Fender electric guitar. The Squire Standard body is the same thickness as a Fender Strat also.

The Squier Standard Strat I tried was one of those guitars that instantly feels right. The one I played had been a demo model and had some dings and dents in the finish, but the store had a second one still in the factory packaging - so that one came home with me. It felt just as good to play when I got it unpacked. The stock pickups are low-output and very clean, reminiscent of vintage Mark Knopfler and current Robert Cray. Very "Stratty", which is what I was looking for.

As a bonus, the Standard was also way less expensive than the spindle-necked CV's.

I don't know why the Squire Standard's are so overlooked. Everyone seems to notice Bullets and Affinitys and Classic Vibes, while the Standards go unloved. But to me, the Standards are the only Squires worth buying, because they are the only ones with necks wide enough to be playable.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.