1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's all the fuss about Classic Vibes?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RollTide, Feb 20, 2013.

1. RollTide

RollTide Tele-Meister

I've always seen Squires as an inferior product and sort of unnecessary since you can get a true Fender at a reasonable price. Am I wrong? Is the relationship closer to the Epiphone/Gibson type than I'm aware of? I see a lot of people talking about their Classic Vibes and I am curious if they buy them solely out of financial necessity (which is certainly not a bad thing, don't get me wrong), or because they prefer that model over Fenders? Help me out here please. Should I consider adding one to my arsenal one day or no? Honestly I've never even held one when I go guitar hunting.

2. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, you are wrong. They are not inferior in build quality, fit and finish or sound. Many members here are huge fans of the Classic Vibe series of Telecaster. I had a CV50s and a CVC - double bound Tele. Both superb instruments. I own a VM Squier right now and it is also a fine instrument. I suppose it's possible that the pots and switches could be upgraded but it certainly isn't necessary in order to play for any purpose - private, church, gigging, studio, whatever. Perfectly capable guitars.

3. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

They are pretty cool because they are set up like classic teles with the old bridge style and tuners. That said, they still have that horrible feeling Squier neck that stabs your hand when you play.

I think they are pretty popular as project guitars because they are so cheap that people dont mind taking them apart. Put some new Pups and do some work on the neck and you probably have a really nice guitar.

4. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Haven't you heard. Classic Vibes are as good it better than custom shop guitars.

5. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

They are the guitar of choice for Zeus, Brahma, and Moses.

6. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

And so it begins......:rolleyes:

Here we go again....

[​IMG]

7. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

If Leo, or any other dead guy, were alive today, they'd turn in their grave!

8. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Aaaaaaaggggghhhhh!

9. RollTide

RollTide Tele-Meister

Umm, sorry? I'm just curious... I'm going to GC today, wanted to know if I should try them out or not. Didn't mean to "annoy" anyone lol.

10. Teleboss

Teleboss Tele-Meister

"They are pretty cool because they are set up like classic teles with the old bridge style and tuners. That said, they still have that horrible feeling Squier neck that stabs your hand when you play."

My CVC plays like a dream, and the neck is great on it. I played a show Saturday night. Although I have several guitars, I just took the CVC and a 60th Anniversary Tele. Nobody noticed my expensive guitar, but I got several compliments on the CVC. Go figure!!!

11. cjburr

cjburr Tele-Meister

seems like you have seen all the fuss about them here and elsewhere, so I would say, yes, you should check them out and see for yourself what it's all about.

I bought a Strat and a Tele when they first came out and they have been outstanding instruments for me.

12. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Have tried them, CV teles, for their price point very nice guitars. Got a SQ VM Jaguar, really like it, got Hello Kitty Strat, really like it. Custom Shop quality, no. On par with some other Fenders, yes. But that is just my opinion, not a fact. Almost bought a CVC last week, but it was actually overpriced, especially since a MIJ Tele from 1991 was hanging next to it and was cheaper (but also not as good)
    A SQ VM Jaguar Special was also hanging there but that was actually not very good. Extremely sharp fret ends, control knobs falling off, and sounded a bit dull.

13. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

I'm guessing you have never owned or played one then?.....

14. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

This thread pops up often, some people love them, some hate them. I'm of the opinion that you won't buy a better guitar in that price range (or even $2-300 more). I think the CV's and VM's are fantastic guitars, very well finished and offer unbeatable value. I've had a few and out of the box the qc and setup has been second to none. Maybe I just got lucky..

I've had a lot of high end guitars and I'm not a serious player anymore so my opinion will vary from those that gig daily and record often. My everyday players are a CVC tele and a VM Jag bass. I sold my 'good guitars' and paid off a chunk of my mortgage. They just didn't get the play time after I got the Squier's. I had a MIM Classic 50's at the same time and was never happy with the fit and finish, imo the CVC absolutely smoked it.

As with all things, it's horses for courses and some will never get over the budget connotations with Squier. Try them and see what you think. A lot of people loved them when they came out but they have been so over hyped that the hype itself has backfired as expectations have been set so high that it's difficult to be objective.

Approach them with no expectations then compare them to MIM's, Epiphone, low end Gibson etc.. and make your own comparisons, I think you'll be surprised.

When I started playing 20-25 years ago budget guitars were basically disposable crap and the Squier's back then weren't much different. How times have changed...I'd happily take a CV over a Mexican Fender every time.

15. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

They're nice for the money, but WAY overhyped.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I don't own a Squire but I get why the CV's are so popular.. Afordable and very well made are certainly part of the reason.. They also make a great modding platform.. MIA parts fit.. While a lot of guys might be leary of putting a screw driver and soldering iron to a MIA it's less of an issue with the CV's.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

S Q U I E R

S Q U I E R

S Q U I E R

is how it's spelled.

18. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Try one out for yourself and you be the judge. I LOVE my classic vibe tele.

19. shambeko

shambeko TDPRI Member

I've had a CV50 for a couple of years, it's probably my least favourite Tele out of four. Since I took the neck off to refinish the body I have been unable to get any relief unless I use 11s + to increase string tension with the truss rod loose. I have another CV neck on my La Cab partscaster which I bought off ebay and is perfect. No problem with frets sticking in my hand, I find them both very smooth.

20. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Please go & try a few. Do try out the CVC.

Then report back with your opinion.

I love the ones I've had.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.