What's a Squier Matt Freeman worth realistically? (white with black guard model)

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
My best mate has been looking for one for ages and they are pretty hard to find here in the UK.

One just came up on ebay but the seller wants £1000 for it (I know, I know) actually they've started the auction at £1000!

It's in OK condition and my mate would probably be willing to go up to £600 (which I think is too much really) but you know, he really wants one.

I know the old phrase "It's worth what someone will pay" but this seems crazy money .. anyway the listing says he'll take offers (which I think he'll have to because I can't see anyone paying a grand) so what's top money for these? What should I advise him to offer?

Are there any for sale near you? What are people asking?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well I don’t know who Matt Freeman is, and I have no idea what his bass looks like. But I just googled “Matt Freeman Squier bass” and didn’t find a single one for sale. So maybe it’s just that rare.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
They didn't make them long

I put one on a fender jazz bass body 10+ years ago.
Great neck for the money I paid then.

As you can see they were $400, I got my neck as a new pull for $200.

1000 pounds sounds ludicrous to me but if that exact model is the only choice then you will pay what you have to when you find one.

A Squier P Bass with a bada## bridge is really all it is.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
He could get a much better used bass for much less. But if rare Squier basses ever become valuable, he will be a happy guy.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
They’re going for 6-700 USD over on Talkbass. Apparently there’s a market!

Those came out during the original Classic Vibe Made in China run, which were great basses. Arguably equal quality to MIM fender.

But to pay the same or more as a used MIM Fender? IDK, I’d just buy a Fender. Otherwise you’re buying a collectible, not an instrument.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
He could get a much better used bass for much less. But if rare Squier basses ever become valuable, he will be a happy guy.

He's got a 2001 American standard and a Vintera Jazz already, he just wants one because .. I don't think he's under any illusion that it's going to be the nicest bass he owns.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
They’re going for 6-700 USD over on Talkbass. Apparently there’s a market!

Those came out during the original Classic Vibe Made in China run, which were great basses. Arguably equal quality to MIM fender.

But to pay the same or more as a used MIM Fender? IDK, I’d just buy a Fender. Otherwise you’re buying a collectible, not an instrument.

Thanks, yeah that's about what I thought... they really do seem quite rare over here, especially the Olympic white ones.

He's buying a 'collectable' for sure, he owns a few much nicer basses.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I don’t want to be one of those tedious guys arguing about what is or isn’t punk, but dropping a grand on some rare signature Squier model is extremely “not punk”.

He's not dropping a grand on it... hence my question, if he was he'd have bought it and there would be no need to ask.

He's not a punk either, he's a respectable middle aged gentleman. 😆

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
anyway, it didn't sell, no bids on it... relisted it at the same start price. 🙄

phart

TDPRI Member
He's not dropping a grand on it... hence my question, if he was he'd have bought it and there would be no need to ask.

He's not a punk either, he's a respectable middle aged gentleman. 😆

Hmm, this makes the whole situation even more confounding! I guess as they say "the heart wants what it wants".

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Hmm, this makes the whole situation even more confounding! I guess as they say "the heart wants what it wants".

lol, I think I may have over sold the 'respectable gentleman' part... he's just a 'normal' bloke, like me .... that appreciates the noisier side of rock n roll.

I like Rancid but I haven't called myself a punk since I was a teenager. ... and I like other music too.

tuuur

Friend of Leo's
I have a black one, bought it new for €425 or something like that, was my main bass for almost 10 years. I never heard of Matt Freeman though I started out in a garagerock/punk kind of band, I just liked the black body/pickguard with a tinted maple neck and fretboard.
I had no idea they are becoming that collectable.

5C92B1C3-F9E3-4F8F-A84A-C8259B7FD02E.jpeg

40CF7FB8-1347-4315-B6B3-B849761BF932.jpeg

Last edited: