whats a good small amp that will stay clean at high volume?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mike is here, May 27, 2011.

1. mike is here

mike is here TDPRI Member

I'm in a cover band and am going to be using a line 6 m13 for all my sounds. I need to find a good, small amp that wont break up at high volumes. preferably something that isn't outrageously expensive, and fairly common (I'll most likely buy one off of craigslist)

the other guitarist uses a fender twin, and it does the job nicely, he cranks it and it still conveys all his tones clearly. I've seen these mostly in the $700 range used. anyone know something that might be a little cheaper?

2. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

3. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

define high volumes?

Personally I think Fender Deluxe reverb, Rivera Chubster or Traynor YCV 40 would be enough...or an old musicman.....but if you're trying to compete with a twin....

4. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Like others have said: small amp + loud cleans = SS of some kind or another (not that that's a bad thing, necessarily).

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Line 6 Flextone.

6. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic

MusicMan

MusicMan RD50 or RD100 - 112 with solid state preamp and dual 6L6 power.
    They're heavy due to the trannies, but they are compact and LOUD, and the bass is very very solid. I think they have reverb too.

I've had a MM RD50 and a 210 Sixty-five and they were both great for cleans.

Not too far from Phili (no affiliation):
    http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/2367203365.html

7. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the Roland Cube 60 great amp.

8. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

If you're getting all your tones from the mfx box, why not skip the guitar amps altogether and get a keyboard amp or bass amp, something that's designed to stay clean (which guitar amps are not)? Essentially you're looking for a physically small PA.

9. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Go in through the soundboard and use the P.A. for volume.

10. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

ZT Club?

11. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Roland JC77 is a great, loud, clean amp. I happen to have one I'm considering letting go.

12. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Only a stompbox modeler

I get your point, but this unit only models effects, not amps, speakers, cabinets, mic's, etc. I think you want the inherent EQ of a guitar amp still.

Oh, wait: It also has "5 EQs". Maybe you can play it through a "plain" keyboard amp or PA. I would take it into a store and try it on a few amps.

Greg

13. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Used amps are great amps. You can get a lot more amp for the money. A Music Man amp of any size is good. If not, a Frontman 212 is good.

14. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I have a solid state Crate xt120r. It's a 3 channel (the high gain is useless though) 120 watt amp. It is very loud. I've cranked it all the way a few times to see how loud it gets and even then, break up was minimal. It's big and rather heavy, but it is nice and clean. I haven't had the opprtunity to use many amps, let alone large ones, so my experience is limited, but I know a nice clean sound when I hear it. Guitar Center sold them new for $330 when I got it, but I've seen them on the used link of their website for $150-$200. Once, it was even $99 or $119 ( I don't recall exactly which it was, but it was very cheap)

15. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm used to thinking of Line 6 devices as having built-in amp simulators.

I didn't think to check whether the particular device cited had the amp simulation features, which it doesn't appear to have.

If the OP hasn't purchased the M13 yet, maybe he should think about one of the floor Pods instead. If he already has the M13, then I withdraw my suggestion.

16. fuzzworks

fuzzworks Tele-Meister

If you want a Twin you can probably score one for less than $700. I saw one on local cl today with broken reverb for $400.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/2404992786.html

Cube would be a lot lighter and no tubes to replace (I'd get the 80 since your other guitarist has a Twin and cranks it).

17. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

*raises hand*

Fender Princeton, the one and only 12 watt clean machine with vintage tube tone.
    Love it so much I wish I had 2. Princeton (non reverb) for clarification.

18. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

+1 on MusicMan RD50. Got one. Had a SF Fender Twin + a SF Dual Showman Reverb & while those puppies were clean, the MM is clean all the way up to it's max volume = ear-splitting levels. Small & l-o-u-d.

You consider a Twin 'small'? Good cuz if you really want clean in that size hunt down a MM HD-130. I think it'd shatter windows. Big, clean and l-o-u-d.

The MMs do take pedals well!

Lots of other choices as mentioned (Roland, Deluxe etc.). Have fun lookin'.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Couple hundred gigs on a Roland Cube 60 in the last 15 or 16 months, and I am totally sold on it. I even take it to gigs where I could easily use my bigger tube amps now. I like it that much. Small, portable, light, loud as bombs if you need it to be, and sounds like a million bucks. It's my go-to "everything" amp. Country gigs,blues, rock, backing up a songwriter for an acoutsic duo thing, whatever. You'd be hard pressed to find a better all around amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.