What's a good online guitar class

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stardog75, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Marty on tou tubes cool but not always enough.i tried guitar jams for 3 weeks and I liked some of that.i cant get into justin guitar.i really want instructions with good close up camera angles that will teach scales good licks etc and some are better at teaching than others. anybody have recommendations ?

2. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Stich method on YouTube?

3. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

ArtistWorks, they have good lessons. And I know it comes with video exchange with the teachers if you need any help. I would say check out Guthrie Trapp's curriculum. I have never took it ot any course but have checked out the examples they provide.

Also check out Guthrie's youtube channel. He does lessons there and shows you concepts. He covers beginner to very advanced, in a range of styles, as does his artist work stuff. He tells you that if you want deep in depth lessons or to break anything specific down to sign up for his artist works course. So, there is a couple things to check out.

* I am not a paid promoter of artistworks or Guthrie Trapp. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. Grodad

Grodad Tele-Meister

Truefire’s pretty good, not for songs but pure technique in any genre.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The Fender Play one is supposed to be good by all accounts. A friend at work is using it, and says it's good. I try and help him out a little bit too, but we work different shifts, so I'm a little restricted. Trouble is it costs. When one of my sons was learning, I bought him the Justin Guitar DVD and it helped him out enormously.

6. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I'm really enjoying Guitar Tricks at the moment, I pay $20 a month and it has more than enough for me on there. I'm currently working through the complete blues course, I've been playing for years but it's helping to go over the fundamentals again.

7. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

Jerry's Guitar Bar offers excellent lessons, tabs, and videos. If you like some music within his selection, his stuff is the best I've seen

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Fender Play. Not as cheap as free, but highly effective for those who want to learn.

9. Catatafish

Catatafish TDPRI Member

I love the way Carl Brown teaches. He's got a lot of free videos to get a feel for his style and he's got a website with more structured classes that I think are pretty cheap for what you get.

I did the Fender Play thing and cancelled it after the free trial ended. It was great to brush up on basics after I took a hiatus but it just felt lacking in some way to me. You just have to find the style of teaching that works for you but Carl Brown is my go-to. That Marty dude is pretty good too.

10. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What is it that you want to take away? Just new licks? New songs? Technique? Fretboard knowledge/theory? You really want to figure that out before you pick a class. If the answer is "all of the above", a couple I'd recommend are:

Paul Davids has two courses - one for beginners and one for intermediate players. I've recommended them to folks I teach, with really good feedback. He's very methodical and includes just enough theory on the way to develop your vocabulary and understand why you're doing what you're doing. He also has periodic live sessions for the students. Paul uses a one-time fee for the course.

Fender Play is a soup-to-nuts course with a lot of extras. You play monthly as indicated above. It may be a challenge at first to figure out where on the spectrum you fit in, but in most cases it's just best to start at the beginning. It's expensive but very comprehensive.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  11. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Sweet thank you.its nice to get an honest perspective

12. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Thanks for your feedback.i really appreciate it

13. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Thanks for your input.i do want all of the above I find myself getting better with technique vibrato alternate picking but I get stuck and haven't put enough together to be happy yet

14. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Thanks I'm gonna check that out Carl brown.thank you for responding

15. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Nice I'm gonna check that out.thanks.

16. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Thanks I'm gonna check in that out

17. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Thank you so much

18. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Okay. The good news is that we have all been where you are right now. It can seem like a huge undertaking! I can tell you that a well-structured course will get you there one step at a time - and it won't be very long before you find yourself doing "all of the above". Even better, you have a great resource for advice along the way, right here.

Stay with it and you will have a friend for life. :) Jam on!

19. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Yeah I liked it for my trial.the German guy was pretty good but I wasnt digging this othe blues teacher cause I felt the lesson went to quick and he didnt go slow enough.so I haven't been back but I may.

20. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Thank you brother yes I wont quit.its a wonderful journey

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.