What's a good mid-price amp for the outlaw country sound?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TheShackleford, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You might find a Musicman combo in the 300.00 range. Similar to blackface/siverface sound and built like tanks. A few even have a built in phase shifter.

2. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

If you're playing at home, then either the Mustang... Or a Silverface Champ or Vibro Champ. Throw a reverb pedal and a phaser in front of it and you're in the ballpark for home volume.

I really think the amp having big transformers and multiple speakers (preferably JBL) is a big part of Waylon's tone, so the big amp recommendations are right. However, big amps just don't sound like big amps unless you can get the volume up a little. Waylon could get his amp's volume up as loud as he wanted, but if you push a Twin much above 4 at home, then hope your neighbors are Waylon fans.

3. J.Rodney

J.Rodney Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

With a good phaser pedal you can get a Waylon tone pretty easy, you can spend less than $300- for a good amp, a good used Peavey Bandit can be bought for $100- to $150- and it will do,watch Craigslist everyday to find a good buy. J.Rodney

4. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

Used Peavey C30.

5. JR88

JR88 Tele-Meister

The Stealth will nail all that ****, just needs some good mods and slap Marshall iron on it haha, I feel like a badboy/outlaw haha, I'm just more of a blues/rocker/metal guy though but I know very well the sound you are talking about haha. Like Super Hot-rodded Country etc haha,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.