What's a Good, Loud Acoustic Amp I Could Find Used?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by The_Doctor [EV], Aug 11, 2020.

1. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Basically wanting to get something I can run both the piezo signal from my Strat into, and also would sound good handling some iPad virtual instruments (organs, Mellotron, that sort of thing).

Needs to be loud enough to keep up with a band, for situations where I may not have a good PA. Looking to keep around $200 to $250 in terms of money spent.

It'd be nice if it was light, but that's not necessarily a dealbreaker.

Currently looking at the Fender Acoustasonic Jr., the Fender Acoustasonic 90/100, even came across a Tech 21 Bronzewood that I'm considering.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

was gonna suggest Fender Acoustisonic stuff, I see them listed used at lo-buck prices all the time, and I've been amazed by the 3-D sounds ever since i demoe'd one many years back

3. The_Doctor [EV]

I guess my concern with the Acoustasonics is that I don't know how loud the 2x40 watt setup actually is? Like I know the Roland Jazz Chorus amps were two amps working in tandem and those really don't have volume issues, so maybe I shouldn't worry?

There's a Dean Markley Ultrasound CP-100 sitting pretty cheap on the Guitar Center used site right now, that's some older tech but it's 100 watts for that price...were those things well regarded?

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Crate Telluride, if you can find one used.

SO GOOD.

:)

crate-telluride-amp.jpg

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

fender SFXII great amps... have had a pair since the early part of the century... LOTS of gigs, no troubles, still use them... I use a mixer on one of them now and it is cool.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a little 40 w Acoustasonic, and it's surprisingly good. I would imagine a larger model would be too. I previously had a Fishman Mini, this Fender amp is close to being as good.
    A larger Fishman or Acoustasonic should do fine.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  7. The_Doctor [EV]

As much as I'm not excited about the prospect of a 40 pound amp, there's one near enough to me that I could get for about $200. And that's very tempting. Thank you for the lead.

8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

cmp19_mgd_1.jpg

This is an acoustic amplifier. They're not expensive.

Collin D Plonker and nobis17 like this.
  9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I had an Acoustasonic Jr., the early version with spring reverb and a chorus circuit (later versions used DSP for the FX).

I used it mostly to amplify an old acoustic archtop with an added magnetic pickup, aiming for sort of a “semi-acoustic” vibe. I liked it and thought it was pretty intuitive to dial in. Onstage, with a loud band and a marginal PA, I think you’d take it to the limit and you’d be using those tilt-back legs and staying close to those speakers, though.

I also experimented with removing the tweeter and just using at as sort of a mini Jazz Chorus 120 with my electric guitar, and that worked really well: the open tweeter hole between the speakers made them feel “looser,” like an open-back combo. You could turn it up a lot farther and still sound good without the tweeter fizz. The chorus and reverb were nice with a clean electric guitar sound. You could even use the feedback notch filter to augment the electric guitar sound; in my case it sounded good swept to the low mids.

I should mention that with the tweeter installed and connected, the amp was really cool for fingerstyle clean electric playing. LOTS of touch detail came across, like seeing your own fingerprints with your ears.

They have board-mounted pots with plastic shafts and slip-on knobs. You have to be careful going through doorways. A stout slip cover would
    Be a good idea if you were going to gig one. It is not Mesa Dual Rectifier-level construction. But it was a fun amp.

I played in bands with two different guys who used the early Peavey Ecoustic 112, the big square open-back one with the coaxial 12” driver/tweeter. Those amps did not get along with my archtop but served their owners’ piezo-equipped flat-tops well for local gigging. Those might turn up pretty cheap now, and the graphic EQ is a no-brainer.

10. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I would advise waiting a bit and saving a bit more. I don't settle and that price range is, to me, too low for what you're asking for. Acoustic amps aren't cheap and if you want loud enough to keep up I would advise a Fishman Loudbox Artist. They have all the stones you're asking for but run $650 and around $400 used. That's what an amp of that ilk costs.

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, schmee. The Fishman Loudbox Mini BT would be a worthy candidate. It's 60-watt output is probably loud enough, on it's own, for any gig; but in the odd circumstance that you would need more, it has an XLR output jack that can send your signal to front of house.

I love mine! :cool:

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  12. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

i have a Trace Elliot TA60. It's a great amp. Check out any TE acoustic amps

13. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’ve only ever used Acoustasonics as far as actual acoustic amps. They work fine, but they never really made my socks roll up and down at a high rate of speed. They’re okay.

I mostly use Peavey keyboard amps for acoustic. They’re clean, loud, cheap, and have multiple channels. Add the right effects and you can use them like a PA in a box, in a pinch.

But I’ve heard good things about the Fishman amps. And if you’re a connoisseur of fine acoustic tone, something like that would probably be much better than my caveman solutions. I was only going for an easy solution to something I didn’t need that often.

teletimetx likes this.
  14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ll agree with Loudbox mini.
    It is an amazing little piece of gear.
    I try to have GAS for something else, but can’t find it’s equal at that price, size and weight.
    Owned mine for 5+ years
    Several hundred sets played through it and it has always been what I need.
    If it pooped out I’d get another one.

FenderGuy53 and Gabrielle84 like this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like my Fishman Loudbox Performer.
    I see them on CL for $400-500.
    It’s 180 watts, with 2 inputs, XLR & 1/4 inch, digital effects, tilt back stand, and tweeter attenuator.
    Works every time, and sounds great, IMO.

16. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I was going to recommend this: Peavey's KB-series amps.

Also check out Roland's keyboard amps. You can find these brands used for cheep cheep.

haggardfan1, nedorama and Steerforth like this.
  17. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

The Loudbox series is great, especially if you want to have the option of vocals as well. The mini is probably your only shot in your price range, but the nice thing about it is the DI out is great for integrating into a PA or you can always just get a good powered speaker when you have more $. It's pretty loud on its own, but obviously keeping up with a band depends on the band. I have seen the Artist for as low as 400 and it has more power, but its always easy to say spend more money than you specified, lol.
    For max versatility, make sure whatever you get has a great DI out as then you can use it as a standalone, monitor, or easily expand the sound with PA or powered speakers.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to add above that the older Acoustasonic Jr. does not have a DI out on XLR; it’s a TRS if I remember right. I think it had TRS for the effects loop also; never used it because the onboard chorus and reverb were nice already. I used compression from a pedal in front of the amp and the whole 1/4” TRS-to-dual mono 1/4” Y-cord thing seemed like a clusterfug.

19. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

I gave my Crate CA-125D to my son - 125 Watts of acoustic power. It has one setting on it for "5,000 seat auditorium." Works great but too heavy for me to tote around any more. They can be found used for around $250. They also made a CA-60.

Now I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini, it is 60W and plenty powerful but only weighs 16 lb.

20. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.