1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's a good-fitting gig bag for a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gaddis, Dec 20, 2013.

1. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Looking for something that is a good fit and offers a moderate amount of protection. Doesn't have to be bomb-proof.

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've been happily using the Fender Deluxe Gig Bag, the one with padding & multiple pockets, for years. Don't bother with the basic Fender bag.

3. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I like the Ritter classic bags. Nice hardware, solid construction, decent straps that adjust easily and some handy pockets.

4. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Been considering that one. Trying to find one locally.

5. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I go along with what Stubee says, Fender Deluxe.
    I use one for my Epiphone 339 as well.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using the Stagg gig bags w/ good success, teles and strats still in one piece

7. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Wow, 6 posts into this thread and no one has proclaimed that they "never use gig bags, only hardshell cases will do," this must be some kind of record. Fender Deluxe gig bag user here, been using the same bag for years, nothing has happened to the guitar and the bag is still in great shape - zippers work, no wear to speak of, etc. I'm thinking about a Mono in the future for my CS Tele - pricy, but I like the neck support it offers.

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMHO, get a GC, on-sale, rectangular, Hard Case. They offer great protection.
    They are easy to carry, store AND, you can stash a cord, strap, flashlight, alarm clock, Pics of the Grandkids ...

They don't cost that much more than a bag. After a year, you'll see.

CHeers

~ ST

9. arem

arem Tele-Meister

The Fender Deluxe is a good bag, i got one with my '97 Tele when I bought it and I'm still using it 16 years later. The only problem with it is inside by the headstock, the clipped strings have really ripped the lining apart. If I was going to buy a new one I'd probably skip the Fender and get one of the Mono gig bags, they look really well designed.

10. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

A gig bag definitely has some advantages over a case depending on your circumstances. I love the mono case vertigo, but it's not cheap. It has excellent neck support and it's very water resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The Fender Deluxe bags are pretty good. I have been using them for years. I have been looking for something a little nicer and maybe one that has some padding at the back strap button in case the bag is set down standing up. I have been looking at the Ritter bags but have not bought one yet. I am looking to spend around $80 max. Hard cases are nice but with all the PA equipment and amps I need they don't fit in my car.

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have three Deluxe Fenders. They're great..... and one's tweed! :)

13. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

We'll I came home with a Fender Deluxe gig bag, almost. I found a local store that had the Fender bags. He had only the standard models but then went rummaging around in the stock room and found a "Deluxe". Gave me a little discount on it and threw in a set of strings. While making my way back home I realized it was not a Deluxe at all but just an older standard model. I confirmed this at home because I have a bass-sized version of the same bag that came with my J-Bass. Drats. Now I have to make another trip through Xmas-shopping traffic.

The reason I want a gig bag rather than a hard case is because they take up a little less room at home. I don't have a lot of room to store guitars.

14. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

+1 absolutely agree with this.. the MONO M80 solid body gig bag is my fav.. it might be more accurate to call it a soft case.. Lowest price I've seen it for is about $150 @ hello music..

My favorite lower cost is an SKB soft case/ gig bag has molded plush covers interior. Very similar to the John Mayer soft case. Hellomusic routinely offers it for $59, Amazon offers it for $77

[​IMG]

For the record I find most Hard Shell cases to be poor choices when taking the guitar outside. My biggest beef is that the latches on Fender and G&G cases aren't very secure, next issue is that they are awkward & heavy to carry around. and can damage car interiors and dent walls. Mostly I feel they offer a false sense of security.

15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think that more and more people are realizing cases aren't the best if you take your guitar out regularly. Besides not fitting in the trunks of most cars they are ugly, clunky and not very secure. I'll throw a couple gig bags in the back seat of my car and not give it a second thought. No worries that my interior will get snagged and torn.

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And they don't have shoulder straps.

18. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

That's the one I use. I has room for straps, cables, and other things that many cases and bags don't offer. It's really a hard case covered with nylon.

19. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I like the Roadrunner cases for good bang for the buck and decent protection for guitars that I will be transporting myself.

20. zen-box

zen-box Tele-Meister

Ritter for me ...

... I've got a couple, better made with more dense padding than any of my others.

;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.