Whats a good DC Ohm's for a Esquire pickup"

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I just viewed a seller that had that A5/A3 combo in a pickup. I wish I could remember where.

acmotors

TDPRI Member
I'm slobbering for one of Don Mare's "Magic 5.6" bridge pickups.

In another week or two I will begin acquiring parts for my next parts-caster, an Esquire. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a A3/5 bridge pickup, or a flat-pole Green Onions.

Hopefully Don will open shop in early 2023.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
I have the SD STL-1 54 in mine. Alot of reviews say it is to clean. I don't know maybe because it's in an Esquire with the Eldred mod, but mine has just the right amount of snarl.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This unicorn. It's made using P90 ingredients (dual alnico bars, iron fillister screw poles) paired with a Telecaster-sized bobbin.

Esquire-T90-Pickup-Montage-Copyright-2019-GB.jpg

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
There is no such thing as a "universal best standard". There are far too many requirements and variables involved with any and all things musical related, most notably guitars and their pickups. Not everyone wants ear splitting shrill treble or boomy mud bass. Choose wisely with whatever floats yer boat for tone and output, for the music you wish to create.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
The unknown make 9k A5 in mine does purty good💪😁, I'd love to get one of Don's pickups myself....

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Found the location I mentioned earlier. It was an A5/A2 combo though.

Don of course could, and probably has, simply rolled his own 5/3 pickup with any magnet strength and style he might fancy, and as many winds with any kind of wire he might try.

I have a 5/2 in an esquire, I like it, it's a Q, I bought it on eBay for 40 or something, it was relatively cheap, it has red flatwork and I asked them to make it with a copper base plate, which they did, it's 7/12 Ohm I think, I wired the tap with a micro switch.

I have a different pickups in each of my 5 esquires, including an actual vintage 50s Gibson p90, I've tried two in it now, a '52 at 7.2 and very recently and currently a '56 at 9. It is a very different guitar with the hotter pickup in it than it was before.

I have a Lollar vintage tele pickup in my ash bodied esquire, and most vintage correct, esquire, it has a body that I bought from MRutter himself on the classified here and a Glendale bridge a saddles.

The 5/2 tapped tele pickup in a one piece pine bodied esquire with a trussrodless one piece maple neck, and a bridge that I chopped off myself, the pickup is screwed right into the body.

I have two barn wood esquires one with a British made pickup that's got ceramic magnets and supposed to sound like an old Supro lap steel pickup that I bought from @heffus on the tdpri classified, one with a bootstrap wound A4 hum-bucker.

The the guitar with the P90 is pinewood too, but it's not barn wood, it's multi piece and sandwiched construction grade wood from menards.

All of the guitars have tele bridges or chopped off tele bridges, all of them are twangy, inspiring maple necked brutes.

All three of the pine casters have the Eldred mod, the p90 guitar is wired like a LP-JR and the ash bodied esquire has the vintage style wiring with the mud switch.

I like them all, and I'd like to have even more, they are all different.

I have a Cavalier tapped Broadcaster style pickup on deck still. I have a body for it (several candidates honestly).

I have a Bigsby (you know the old fashioned looking one with arm hooked to the fender pickup mount) and a half done spanish cedar body that I think the cavalier will go into, when I get around to it.

I also have a thin, really light swamp ash body from guitar mill, routed only for one pickup. I'm not sure what I'll put in that. I have a two Don Mare sets squirreled away uninstalled. I bought them both on this forum, one is a Nancy set, the other is a set of super sports, I don't think I want to break either set up for an esquire though?