What's a fair price for a used AVRI 52?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ExileXXX, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Where's Rolling Estonian when you need him ??......;)

2. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

again....go look at it and play it. if it's what you want....buy it. if not, keep looking.

the big question is, "what do YOU think you should do?". you're asking a bunch of total strangers to make a decision that only you will have to live with. please, buy a guitar soon.

3. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

I can't look at it, I'm not in Michigan.

I don't see anything wrong with seeking advice. I make my own decisions but I think its a good idea to get the opinions of others too.

With all due respect if you and Mellecaster have a problem with that, that's your problem not mine.

Someone else will be happy to answer my question...

4. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

5. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

What does it mean if one of these guitars has had the truss rod adjusted by the owner?

And has been intonated, with 11's on it?

6. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

dude....i think all of your technical questions have been answered. people have explained many things to you about these guitars and what to look for. people have given you advice on pricing. the big decision comes to you and you alone. are you comfortable buying a guitar that you've never seen or would you rather hold it and play it? can you live with a little ding or will you take someone's word that theirs is unmarked? what if it arrives and it does have a mark or two? maybe you'll play the one you were going to buy and not like it...or maybe it will feel perfect and you'll have to have it. when it gets right down to it, it's your guitar and it has to be right for you. what if everyone tells you to buy one of these two, you buy it and then don't like it? will you blame a bunch of anonymous strangers for advising you to get the wrong guitar? bite the bullet and make a decision or just keep looking. the ball's in your court and its crunch time. only you can decide.

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you like the one with the ding, buy it.

Guitars get dinged.

If you don't want the ding, buy the other one.

It will will most likely eventually get dinged, but you will have the satisfaction of dinging it for yourself.

Downside of buying one that you can't hold in your hands is that you can't hold it in your hands before you buy it. ;)

Telecasters, even AVRI 52 Telecasters, pop out of the Fender factory like Chiclets pop out of the Cadbury factory. Not all identical, but identical enough to be replaceable cogs in the big line of Telecasters. ;)

To be honest, with the concern you have shown over the "ding," I don't think you would ever be happy if you went that way. Have you considered buying a new dingless AVRI 52?

8. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

it means the owner adjusted the truss rod. he may or may not know what he's doing. he may be an expert who has done it for years...or not.

the guitar has .11 gauge strings on it. if you decide to change the string size, you may have to have it set up again for the new size strings...or not. lighter, or heavier, strings than what are on it can change the tension on the truss rod, causing a buzz or other issues...or not.

9. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

So I guess there is there a chance he could have messed it up if he's not an expert?

10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I adjust the truss rods on many (if not most) of my guitars twice a year - it's no big deal.

If the owner put 11's on it - I believe the standard for an AVRI '52 is 10s - then I sure hope he intonated it.

Adjusting the truss rod, setting the action height, setting the intonation are all things every guitar owner should be able to do easily.

11. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

He said he intonated it.

So, if I wanted to put it back to the standard of 10s. Would I have to get it intonated again, or touch the truss rod?

12. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

one doesn't have to be an "expert" to do this simple maintenance job. if he tackled the job he most likely knew what he was doing. even if not, the likelihood of "messing it up", or doing any permanent damage is very slim. if the action feels good and it doesn't buzz, then he didn't mess it up. adjusting the truss rod, adjusting intonation, adjusting the string height, adjusting the pickup height, changing strings...all these things are basic maintenance that you should learn or be at the mercy of your local shop. the tech is there for big jobs but you should learn your way around basic setup and maintenance tasks....especially if you finally buy a guitar.

13. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

Good to know. Thanks my friend.

14. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

Just buy a new one!!

15. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

I think Buckocaster is right on, if you're worried about the ding now it will probably bug you even more when it's yours. A repair guy who would do work for Bruce or Keith (who clearly would not care about a little ding) will be very expensive so why not just save the time, money and hassle and buy the one in the classifieds here.

Just my 2 cents...

16. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

The ding isn't bad.

I bought it! I'm happy!

Now, for an amp...

17. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

congrats on the new guitar!

now.......what amp are you getting?

round 2, folks.....here we go!

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, I was just about to comment that we can expect a new post in the Amp section any minute that asks "What's the best amp for a '52RI?", but our young friend has pretty much already beat me to it :eek:

Still, it's nice to see enthusiasm!

19. 51Nocast

51Nocast Tele-Meister

I just bought a 2003 52 RI for just under a grand and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It has a few small chips on the lower bottom.They aren't visible looking straight at it but either way they give it it's character. I love this guitar. The neck is perfect for me. I don't need a new, in perfect shape guitar, in fact I'm more comfortable with a used one. Hope you feel the same about yours.

20. ExileXXX

ExileXXX Tele-Meister

I'm glad I come across so dumb to you guys...

:p

Congratulations on your tele man. I feel great about mine.

The ding on mine is smaller than I thought and the tele is so beautiful.

I like asking for advice, because I know so little about guitars and amps etc.

I'm thinking about maybe a Hot Rod Deluxe but I'm not sure if I should just go for the Deville instead? I'm thinking something small and simple so the Deluxe would be better...

Any advice is good...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.