What's a better fit?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scelestus, Jul 27, 2021.

1. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Say you wanted a nice little set. 5E3, 6G3, and a blackface. Do you get a Deluxe or a Princeton for the third one?

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Consistency might suggest DR. All Deluxe all the time.

For the Princeton lover (or the home player), an even sweeter trio might be 5F2a, 6G2, and PR. Ask me how I know...

And if you like PR better than DR, an AA1164 would be a wonderful big brother for a 5E3 and a brown Deluxe.

pugnax, Tim S, brookdalebill and 2 others like this.
  3. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I've got a Swart that hammers the 5E3 in usability. I think it's probably a tweaked 5F2 of some sort.

This is a potentially downsizing thing. I'm thinking about a Suhr Hombre and have a PRRI and DRRI. One would probably go.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I vote for a DR to round out that trio. Those would be three quite different amps, ime. A BF Princeton Reverb is essentially that 6G2 with reverb and a more complex tone stack…which sucks some gain.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Joining the chorus.
    A Deluxe will be louder, fuller, and warmer, IMHO.

scelestus likes this.
  6. King Fan

Excellent point, Wally. So if he already has a *6G3*, then a PR's electronic relation to a 6G2 (and saying I find the *sound* pretty different) is not an argument against it? Maybe even a vote in favor.

Heh, I still think DR is the 'logical' all-Deluxe choice. But with a 6G3 on hand, I picture a PR would 'switch it up' more. Like, equally, if you had a 6G2, a DR would get you further into new sonic territory?

All boiled down, the question becomes, "PR or DR?" Of all the many "no-wrong-answer" questions, that's one of the most "all right." :)

scelestus and Wally like this.
  7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I know it can boil down to this. To be clear, it's the brown Deluxe I don't have. I've got all the others.

If I'm going for cabinet size, I think the PRRI is probably a better fit. It's about the size of a tweed Deluxe. But if I want the blackface to be bigger, cleaner, and louder (as Deluxes got over time), then the DRRI is the right move. I MUCH prefer bias tremolo, but it's there in a brown deluxe and the opto trem in a DRRI would give more variety. I think the DRRI is probably the right keeper, especially given the demand for Princetons now (I'd be selling the PRRI off, probably).

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The 6G3 Deluxe and the 6G2 Princeton are very similar amps but for the phase inverter, which in the 6G3 is a long tail pair while the 6G2 uses the cathodyne PI. The preamps are very similar and bot use a bias vary trem. They both have lively cleans and ripping overdrive….similar to my ear.
    There is a less expensive alternative to this set…..the Tone King Imperial MKII will do similar things and much more,ime. The TK Sky
    King is even more versatile. But….a purist likes the basic amp as done in those Fenders, perhaps.

loopfinding, King Fan and scelestus like this.
  9. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

If not for the 6G3 I'd say Princeton, but since you've got glorious bias tremolo covered, I'd go with the Deluxe for completion.

Wally and scelestus like this.
  10. King Fan

So I'm not sure which order you're adding and subtracting, but it doesn't matter. However you do it, it's cool to collect a group of amps that make you happy. Complementary sound, contrasting sounds, a walk down a historical path, or a branching river of sound.

One other factor I'm seeing: DR vs. PR *once you add RI.* There's some debate how much a PRRI sounds like a vintage PR. Leaving aside age (heh, don't we wish) the real pine cab in the original and the Italian speaker in the new ones are objective differences. Lots of folks love their PRRI, of course, but in my reading the DRRI gets even more love. Never been sure why -- speaker differences? the pure 'size' of the sound? or the particular PR sonics? Something may make the DRRI, if not the better amp, at least the better *reissue* amp...

scelestus likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

DR just for power alone honestly. 12-15 watts is hard to work clean in many cases.

if it were me, i'd probably just have the DR and slap a cathode bias switch and a tone stack lift to get "most" of the mojo of the others while taking up less space in my apartment, hahaha.

scelestus, pugnax and Wally like this.
  12. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I think that the issue is the Deluxe has a very appealing breakup for bluesy rock stuff, but ends up being really too loud for a lot of people. This means there’s more on the market, which brings the price down to where the Princeton is nearly as expensive for what appears to most people as much less of an amp. So more people get a Deluxe because it seems like a better deal, and then the cycle begins again.

Personally I’d take a Princeton over a Deluxe any day of the week. Bias tremolo is so dreamy.

scelestus and King Fan like this.
  13. King Fan

Now *that* is a good analysis. And yeah, I'm a PR guy myself...

scelestus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.