"What Your Favorite Sad Dad Band Says About You"

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've only heard of like 4 of those bands. That hurt; I didn't realize how old I was.

On the other hand, when I go to a school function for my 2nd grader and see other parents who are gray or balding, I feel like I found my tribe. I always imagine that a good icebreaker would be "It's nice to meet you. How's your back?"

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Laughed hard. Seriously funny.

Sent link in text to my kids. Essentially said, now it’s your turn to have a mockery made of your cultural inclinations.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
I've only heard of like 4 of those bands. That hurt; I didn't realize how old I was.

On the other hand, when I go to a school function for my 2nd grader and see other parents who are gray or balding, I feel like I found my tribe. I always imagine that a good icebreaker would be "It's nice to meet you. How's your back?"
I've heard of many, but have none of any of their songs on my lists.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
As much as I really like McSweeney's, I just don't get the whole Sad Dad Band thing. The whole thing reads like a college writing assignment draft that should never have been turned in.

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted
I greatly predate any relevance this might have to me.
OTOH, one of our kids hipped us to The Weeknd and we're listening to that now for a while.
In 71 we both liked the Stylistics, then our musical tastes diverged a bit. (Humorous understatement).
It's nice to find something we both enjoy.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
As much as I really like McSweeney's, I just don't get the whole Sad Dad Band thing. The whole thing reads like a college writing assignment draft that should never have been turned in.
Yeah the writing style reminds me of the late '90s NYU students who sat on Ave B in NYC begging: "Can you spare $5 for beer?"

Waiting for their monthly trust fund allowance was haaaarrrrd, man.

The smarter ones went on to sell artisanal cheeses
Or write artisan cheese

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity

I'm puzzled by this response. No sense of humor? You don't believe the 90's were almost 30 years ago? Gray hair. More golf.

Just as a point of reference, or conversation?

2019_johnnymarr_getty_2000x1270-1392x884.jpg

merlin_155143842_e41b6019-8eac-4f44-b127-df25ef92a539-superJumbo.jpg

Is there something that should be taken more serious?

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I'm puzzled by this response. No sense of humor? You don't believe the 90's were almost 30 years ago? Gray hair. More golf.

Just as a point of reference, or conversation?

View attachment 941636

View attachment 941638

Is there something that should be taken more serious?

I have a fairly healthy sense of humor. I just didn't think it was funny. Someone's trying too hard IMO.

Edit: To elaborate, the whole thing seemed written by someone who's never heard the bands with which they're trying to humorously correlate the descriptions. I get the attempt. I just think they missed the target.

Last edited: