1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What' your approach to gear buying?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, May 2, 2021.

What's your approach to gear buying?

Poll closed May 9, 2021.
  1. You don't need to spend a fortune. Squires and Epiphones are great!

39.3%
  2. Buy something top-notch and be done with it.

60.7%
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've reached the point where I only peruse the Craigslist until I see something I might like. Then I watch it until it either goes away or I think I'd rather have the money in my back pocket just in case I did see something I really like. It's been almost eight years since I bought a guitar. Hem Hawing around can often be a very good strategy. I may not play as good as I used to, but I can hem and haw with anyone. I developed this policy by buying thousands of dollars worth of guitars, and then thinning the heard until I only had guitars I really don't care for. There is both some kind of sense in there somewhere, and a lesson to be learned.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have an original 1956 Strat and a 2007 Bullet Squier Strat.

I am your worst nightmare.

StrangerNY, CharlieO, Tiago and 2 others like this.
  3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a hobby player now. I decided 10 years ago that I had spent a the money on gear I was going to spend. So something has to be sold to raise the cash for a purchase. Sold first lol. Altogether, I have maybe $2500 in four good electrics and a very good 5e3 clone. A great amp makes every guitar sound good. I'm done buying guitars.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah for your needs you are probably fine.

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I don’t really get GAS. But, the apparent ease that I see those in the US buying, selling, swapping, building, etc. does make me quite green with envy at times.

I mean, I haven’t even been able to figure out how to buy an Allparts neck here in Japan. It’s maddening.

Pax/
    Dean

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I say get the best tools you can afford.
    If that's a Squier or an Epiphone, that's fine.

(For me the sweet spot is the top of the line Mexican stuff.)

7. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Somewhere in between I think. Good enough is best! I absolutely favour quality over quantity, but it's important to have a spare...

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

As a kid, I started off paying much more than I needed to, because I took notice of people who said I should. I soon found out that the good guitar doesn't have to be expensive and stopped listening to other people..

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

See gear
    Want gear
    Google gear
    Post TDPRI about want gear
    TDPRI enable GAS for buy gear
    Buy gear
    Repeat

Bill, StrangerNY and northernguitar like this.
  10. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan Tele-Meister

I have mostly MIA Fenders and Gibsons, a Gretsch 125th Anniversary White Falcon, a Heritage 555, coupla nice JR Becks, some nice guitars. I’ve gotten all of them at great prices, only one new, a gift. But I live in Austin, where it’s easier. Craigslist abounds with college students or tech nerds who wanted to be guitar players but changed their minds and decide to sell their top quality instrument, cheap. And there I am with the cash. So now I have too many great guitars. And I’ve never sold a guitar in my life. I’m lucky my wife loves them; it’s art on the walls, all over our house.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Notably, and this is a big thing with cheap imports, when Jack buys a cheap Squier he gets access to racks of newly arrived same model he likes Squiers, and he tries probably dozens to find "a good one".

Not the same as ordering cheap Squiers online and assuming we will get one that Jack would have liked well enough to perform with.

Instead we get one of the hundreds he rejected.
    Or win the lottery and get the rare good one.

How can this be true?
    CNC levels the playing field!
    If so then why does Jack have to hunt through and reject almost all of the model he "likes"?

Because they are made of wood from a pile of cheapest possible wood, and rushed through production to keep cost down.
    Design is OK but production is inconsistent and held to a low standard.

What bothers me most about cheap guitars is wood that was poorly selected and dried, which moves around too much with temp and humidity changes, IF the neck is even straight enough to play well out of the box without a L&C that takes the already tiny frets down to what many of us consider worn out and in need of replacement.

So we can't shop online for Jack Pearson's approach.
    Too bad, I used to love buying used $100 MIJ Squiers, when that was the quality level of Squier.

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Acoustic guitars bring out my top tier desires, but it's not a case of Brand snobbery, but by what I judge acoustics by. My avatar sets a really high bar, and while I can appreciate most any great sounding acoustic, two factors have to be present for me to get acoustic GAS: the sound has to approach that of my old Martin, and the bargain factor has to be very strong. My acoustic stable has my old Martin and a Taylor 816ce as its only residents. The Martin I've had for 47 years, and am the second owner. I have encountered several acoustics that have approached the Martin sound-wise, but none have surpassed it, to my ears. The Taylor has a badly "mojo-ed" top, pick scratches (none through the finish) on several areas of the top, but pretty visible all the same. That brought the price down to under $1200 at my local GC, and its sound was excellent, different from the Martin, but very useable in its own right. Knowing that the 816ce lists north of 3500 and sells used in the 2300-2800 range made me pull the trigger, and I really don't think about the damage the prior owner did to it, so all is good. It gives me a high quality, relatively low cost alternative to using a 25K-30K instrument in public, unless I want to. YMMV

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a beat and modded Destroyer many years ago and now have a beat and modded Gibson Explorer.
    I'd say everyone needs one of these.
    You simply cannot live without one.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.