What year, type etc... Tele is your fave

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by benbo, Jul 7, 2009.

1. SpaceyBen

SpaceyBen Tele-Meister

I actually like the late 90's- early 2000's American Standard/Series teles. The neck shape is great, the staggered tuners rock and hold tune forever and a day. I do prefer to swap the bridge for a 3 saddle like Callaham/ Glendale, I reverse the control plate, replace the pups with Lollar vintage T's, and put on an electrosocket jack. My main has been with me longer than any other guitar... I always go back to it. I might mess with other guitars but the tele always wins out.

2. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I love bound bodies, and fairly fat maple necks with wide/tall frets.

My current #1 is a Rondo/Douglas with a bound burl ash top in amber. The body & neck plate are the only things that are stock. Barden pickups, Stew Mac maple neck. White pearl pickguard. New pots, switch(3 way), wires, and Electrosocket. Tusq nut, string tree, and 3 saddles. Oh yeah, a P/W b bender installed by Bill Bores. It does everything from heavy distortion to crystal clear spankin' twang!

3. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Around 1959 -1962 here. Sunburst with a rosewood fretboard. Chunky C neck.

4. fws6

fws6 TDPRI Member

I have owned more than 40 tele's over the last 10 years... Mostly old ones (I had the first Tele ever #1338), but also brand new ones USA made and imported, special eds., custom shops, humbuckers, b-benders, Bigsby's... You name it .... And after 10 years I only kept three that I liked best:

1. the 57 with a slight v neck
    2. 69 thinline but I replaced the maple neck with rosewood one
    3. a 67 also with a rosewood fretboard

All three are blondes. I can also give you my top-3 of what I dont like in a Tele

1. Versality... I hate 5 ways, humbuckers, etc. Lightweight ash body, standard PUs, three saddle bridge --> that is your tele sound. Anything you try to add will only take you away from THE sound
    2. poly lacquered maple necks in the late 60s and 70s. I dont find much difference in nitro vs. poly body 's, but the poly necks just dont feel right
    3. Bigsby's (I have a lot of Gretsches as well so it is not the Bigsby itself, but on a Tele it takes away the twang and makes the guitar go out of balance)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  5. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

My fav so far is the neck on my '72 Thinline RI but I haven't tried a lot of necks yet, same with different types of bodies. I've tried a Bass guitar with a Wenge neck before and I really like it. The idea of a neck that doesn't need any finish appeals to me. So the journey continues.......

6. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Tele-Meister

Ideally I would like a NOS custom shop Nocaster in black. Unfortunately I can't afford one, and I doubt I could ever spend that much on a guitar. But my partscaster works fine.

7. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

'51 Nocaster...the year of my birth.
    Will I ever own one?

8. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

I guess I'm not real particular when it comes to Teles. As long as it plays good, feels good in my hands and on my shoulder and sounds good, then I'm a happy camper.

I own several Squiers, MIM and MIA Teles and all are stock except for my Am. Std. which has a set of NoCaster p-ups installed. I DON'T like Bigsby's, but that's just me.

9. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

I love this guitar so much. I'm thinking of getting the Hot Rod 52

10. brownshoe

brownshoe Tele-Afflicted

Strange... You'd think that after having a number of them for a few years, I'd have a fav, but no.

I have 2 Esquires (1 classic and 1 modded Baja), a MIM standard, an AM Ash, a AM DLx, a 52AVRI, a 52AV Dlx and a Baja and I like em all with no outstanding fav.

11. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

I like the ones with a twist, so my favourites are '72 Custom, Pink Paisley, Rosewood, '69 Thinline and a red '62 Custom with a Bigsby are my favourites.

Somehow I like early sixties surfing colours like but would really hesitate to use 'em myself.

Blackguards, blonds etc. with basic features are not intresting... just teles, great and I like to play regular teles but I don't lust them.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think a 1951 Nocaster and renditions of it are what works for me. Particularly the CS NOS No-Caster.

Many of the guitars I assemble are permutations of this model. A little less shoulder in some cases, a little "bone" detail in the maple, a 4 way switch and more modern switching (series and parallel in phase), a lesser value cap. Compensated saddles. But it is becoming evident I am not gonna be assembling a Jazzmaster right away.

Surprised myself when I bought that $ 249 special white Melody Maker. But I might not keep that, either.

13. 52 tele

52 tele Tele-Meister

For me its got to be a 52 RI butterscotch,but some of them have a really
    kinda ot sickly orangey colour that looks terrible,so I guess I'd take my time
    and shop around for a more realistic finnish,and that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

14. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Covered

Now that I think about it, I don't recall having ever played a vintage Tele. Well, my day off is tomorrow and I'll just have to see if I can remedy that. To answer your question, I think its safe to say that I prefer a vintage spec neck, and not too heavy. I still haven't quite figured out how I like my pickups but I know what I like when I hear it. I only have two Teles and they both fall into my answer. My '72 Telecaster Custom RI is my #1. I really never thought anything would replace my Esquire in the top spot, but it does. It does partly because I'm not crazy about the Nocaster pup I have installed right now. Its a good pup, but the stock bridge pup in my '72 blows it away. Still love my Esquire, but new pup(s) are in order for sure. Oh, I also forgot to say that for a standard Tele, the 4-way switch is awesome. If I ever get another Tele, that mod is gonna happen. Here's a pic of my two awesome guitars.

[​IMG]

15. Jakester93

Jakester93 Tele-Meister

My one and only functional guitar is a midnight wine 2006 Fender Standard(MIM) that I've replaced the cheap switch and the input jack with higher quality ones as well as the stock pickups(added texas specials), even though the stock pickups sounded great. Both the stock and texas specials sound good, just different.

My favorite tele as of now(changes quite often) is the one John Frusciante plays. I think its a 1963 that's double bound with 2-tone sunburst(I don't really like the 3 tone) and a rosewood fret board. It looks pretty shweeet. Probably sounds great too.
    [​IMG]

16. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

My favourite tele is the classic blackguard. I like a good strong maple neck and a great bridge pick up sound. Light weight bodies I prefer and I've gotten use to the feel of nitro now. I quite like the butterscotch blonde colour over the lighter blonde colour.

17. fullertonfan83

fullertonfan83 Tele-Meister

Ok, for me it is a classic blackguard, 67 tele classic with binding in sunburst finish and a 1983 top loader in blonde :) My top 3...

D.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.