What Year Is This Fender Reverb Unit?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noah330, Jun 4, 2019.

1. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had to do a little research as I have never seen a white tolex outboard reverb unit. They have all been brown or black...and I have been chasing one for years. That said, you are correct, they did match the tolex to the production amps, so since there were a few blonde amps, there had to be a blonde reverb unit to match in the Fender catalog. I just doubt they sold many as even the blonde amps are pretty rare. As the owner of a white tolex Fralin VVT...I wouldn't want a blonde Fender unit either.

3. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Amazing score OP! I’ll have to start checking out estate sales now. Enjoy!

4. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah.. just check out some older Beach Boys video in the Youtube..you'll see them using their Blonde reverb units..or the Capital record "Beach Boys Live" circa 63-64 many pictures showing Al and Carl using them

5. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

OMG man. OMG. How do people learn about these estate sales?

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've seen several in the local tech shop I work with, and bought this '61 from a friend about 8 months ago. Matches my '61 Showman and '62 Bandmaster! Front view.JPG open chassis.JPG top view.jpg IMG_6770.jpeg

7. ampking300

ampking300 TDPRI Member

Silverface, nice setup,---BUT,---reverb unit is a 1963 model, not a 1961 model----smooth white tolex, last of the remaining oxblood grill cloth and blackface handle and stamped chassis date of 1863= 18th week of 1963. A lot of these reverb units were made with leftover brownface parts, mostly the trannies, many were older units placed in the newer cabs. Really nice amps and guitars, Play On, Ray.

Wally likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, '63 catalogue shows a white one:
    http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/fender/catalogues/1963_1964_8.php

Only black ones in following years.

Milspec likes this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

What's interesting about those is that all the blackface ones I found on the net have white knobs when the other amps stopped using them. Then there's the Silverfaces with number dials. That would assume they had enough white knobs for all the Blackface units.

10. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice score!!! every once in awhile you can get lucky (I know, that's what she said!)

That said, I had a blonde tolex Reverb unit that dated sometime in '63 (paired with my '59 Bassman-lord what tone!) someone had swapped out the front grille cloth for wicker at some point, and that's how it was when I sold it on-nice tone with that, but to be honest, I liked the reverb on my '66 (and later, blackfaced '73) Super Reverbs-YMMV of course! Wish I had a pic of that rig, but that's over 30 years ago now...

Franc Robert

11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Isn’t black tolex and white radio knobs the “tuxedo” period? There are Princetons with this aesthetic combo and those are mostly ‘64s IIRC.

12. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

The Reverb Tank is mostly likely a 65 or 66, you need to look for the two letters on the paper tube chart inside to the right side. See my '65 Reverb Tank below, identical to yours. You can look up the code letters at the Fender website or just Google Fender Amp date codes.

Also, that Tremolux was never a "White" Tolex, they were made using a very lite "Blonde" Tolex and then usually turned tan or worse depending on how poorly they were treated. Example of a new Mint 1963 (only 2 years for "Blonde", as 64 they went Black, is my 62 pictured below with my 1956 Guild M-65 "Cherry", 7/8th scale Jazz guitiar. There were also some Fender amps made in a Brown Tolex, but I believe only "Combo" models like the Pro, Deluxe, Princeton, etc. and only in 1963.

Another example of the 62-63 "Blonde" Tolex Fenders with 99% of the original out the door color is my 62 Blonde Bassman that is literally mint. (always kept in a hard travel case) or a blonde tolex fitted cover when on stage. It is 101% original, so is the 62 Tremolux.

Unless your two finds have been screwed around with and aren't running well, you indeed made an incredible buy for only $150. Reverb tanks aren't worth much just because not many players are using them, but a very nice collector show piece. The Blonde Tremolux is probably worth $1500 or more depending on condition inside and outside.

Oh, I worked at Fender from 1972 - 1999.

Attached Files:

13. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here’s a ‘70’s Reverb Unit.

577A1F9E-65EF-4C2D-93F3-F09A7C7AB385.jpeg .

radiocaster likes this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

1. The handle is a brownface handle. The color can't be seen clearly in the pictures - sorry for the lousy color i all of them.

2. The "TC 1863 code", according to Fender oldtimers - and similar ink-stamps on amp chassis - are not date codes. Some coincidentally seem to be, but this was discussed for years and finally disproven through dozens of examples. They are factory batch codes.

The metal-stamped chassis serial number is the most reliable dating system. This one is serial # R00545 - 1961:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp6.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.