What would YOUR signature guitar be?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jay Jernigan, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Suhr Tele with Brazilian board, HB in the neck (Lollar), stainless steel 6105 frets, Midnight Blue burst (color subject to change depending on the day), Ashe body, locking tuners, Compensated saddles, medium C neck, compound radius board (9-12). I’ll sign the back. It’ll sell like hot cakes.

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Am I the only one who favors a 339 style?

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Working on mine. Green/green headstock.

Trini (from a kit) with a stop-tail. Pickups TBD, I got hold of a pair of P94's I'm going to try. Another option, Alnico magnets replacing the ceramics in the kit's humbuckers.

Artist's rendering: trini grini cream.jpg

Progress so far:

Trini beauty shot.jpg

gmann, Jay Jernigan and brookdalebill like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I special ordered this from the Custom Shop in 2011. It's my favorite guitar to play although my relic Strat sounds better. 4B4C5C34-D4ED-4591-A05F-D9BD25009F0C_1_105_c.jpeg

Today, my signature guitar would either be a bound honeyburst thinline with a neck humbucker and a dark rosewood fretboard or a Fiesta Red '61 Stratocaster with a bridge humbucker.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Jay Jernigan

I love the Trini Lopez inlays. Going on my wish list.

tubegeek likes this.
  6. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I've pondered this before, though perhaps less as a "signature model" thing. I don't tend to fancy signature models (with a handful of exceptions, eg. Chris Shiflett's Tele Dlx.), but I love knowing that my guitar is kinda more or less exclusive to me, and there are ideas I had that I couldn't find elsewhere. If I could have one, it would be the Thinline Tele I put together last year.
    Screenshot_20200112-191730.png Screenshot_20200112-191601.png Shoreline gold, alder body. Roasted maple .84" U-shaped neck. Ebony fretboard with a 9.5-12 in. compound radius and Jescar stainless 6150 frets. Gotoh Magnum locking tuners. McNelly Stagger Swagger and Sparkle'Tron pickups, and a B5. It was heckin' sweet! Sold that when life forced my hand.

Then again, I'm mulling over the idea of doing a black HSS Strat type with a roasted, one piece, .88" soft-V neck. 7.25-9.5 in. radius, SS6105 frets (depending on where they come from, the shorter and wider variation), a McNelly humbucker in the bridge paired with some S-Bars, and a Gotoh 510 6-screw vibrato. Same tuners as the Tele. Brushed gold pickguard.

Just a thought though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Jay Jernigan likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

From Fender, it would be something along the lines of the Brett Daniel Ash Thinline, with an ebony board, but double bound rather than single bound. Probably in a transparent amber tone, showing fantastic ash grain. Headstock finished like the body.

Inspired by this Brett Daniel Thinline that I put together with the ebony board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Desert Tan early whiteguard Esquire in a Cheney Thermometer case. Eldred wiring on the Esquire; otherwise vintage accurate early whiteguard specs.

9. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Coolest guitar Gibson ever made if you ask me.

10. Jay Jernigan

These are the examples I was hoping to see. Your preference, not someone else's. If an existing signature, or any other model, ticks all the boxes for you, then you can count yourself lucky. Elvin Bishop has been playing the same guitar for 60 years; no need to ask him.

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

My signature guitars are the ones I build for myself. I sign each one of them inside on the top before I close the box

IMG_4943.JPG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    nathanteal, tubegeek and Jay Jernigan like this.
  12. Jay Jernigan

My skill set tops out at "partscaster"; I have ideas that I cannot execute. Beautiful work, my friends, makes me want to go back and like every post. Seriously.

13. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

Gretsch made what would be my signature model in the early 00’s, and luckily I found one for sale last year!
    9243E5DF-7D7D-4F24-96A6-EDC0CAB3287B.jpeg
    The G6136T White Falcon with 1955 style Humpblock feather pearl inlays, and vertical winged headstock logo, but with 1958 style wiring with Filtertrons.

The only changes that it needed was a brass dBridge and straplocks.

14. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 TDPRI Member

15. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 TDPRI Member

Fender Strat all the way.
    Fender Tele
    Gretsch solid body
    Les Paul
    PRS

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

View attachment 736545
    I want a Gibson Marauder until then I'll play what I have.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzmaruader.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz maruader.jpg

richiek65 likes this.
  17. Jay Jernigan

Things have slowed down a bit on here, so, I'll add my $0.02.
    Joe B. and Slash have adopted Les Pauls; I like Joe's attitude: "Inspired By" is a polite stance where a signature instrument is concerned and a Les Paul is, already, a signature instrument. Slash, however, is a good business model because he has put his name on a broad palette of price points. That said, we will step on the bottom rung of the ladder first.
    I recently acquired a P-90 Pro equipped ES-339 of the Epiphone persuasion. I am extremely fond of it. Is it perfect? Well, of course not, but I do love the way it slings, handles and sounds. I played a Strat, religiously, for over twenty years and am drawing close to that with a Tele, but now I find my interest in semi-hollow bodies rekindled. So.....a 339.
    What would I change to make it a signature? Mostly little things. The neck needs more of a medium 'C' carve and it could be a smidge wider at the nut. I have used a GFS brass bridge to good effect previously and think that I would want something similar. As I mentioned before, as long as I'm wishing, let's put Trini Lopez inlays in the fingerboard. I'm not sure that I would want the 6 on a side Trini headstock, simply because I have never seen one close up, but it is a preferred feature on a Fender.
    Pickups are something I am a little undecided on; love the P-90s, hate the hum, but, Music Man uses an active noise cancelling circuit, so I know that there is a cure, somewhere.
    Here's where I get a little kinky: I want an easier guitar to work on. So...why can't we have a removable control cover? I'm not a luthier, by any means, so maybe it would ruin an otherwise excellent guitar, but then again, maybe not. Fishing the controls out through the F hole isn't my idea of a good day.
    That's about all, other than possibly offering a choice of pickup routes. And make mine a Goldtop with a reddish dark back. Then offer it through out the entire Epi/Gibson range, maybe even a CS-336.
    I'm done.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    richiek65 likes this.
  18. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

Ooooh. Tough one.
    Since it’s a tele forum I imagine I’d need to start with a tele...ok
    I’d do a three pick up (Nashville) style
    OC Duff Buckaroo in bridge
    Bill Lawrence Keystone strat pup in middle
    OC Duff Dyna in the neck
    Boatneck profile roasted Warmoth neck

or...
    Anything I’m playing through my 65 Reverb would be the short answer

19. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I never though I'd say this, and it's probably a "snapshot" statement, but a Tele with a Gibby scale length not unlike BFG.

I was an SG player for many years, really molded my style around that guitar, then I caught the Tele bug and went full bore(for reference, I owned two SG's in my lifetime, and SEVEN Tele's). But lately I've been noticing certain elements of that aforementioned style have dissipated and it had a lot to do with the feel of that scale length. However, the clarity of a Tele makes most Gibby's sound like toys to me now. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Pretty much my 2014 LP Traditional — no weight relief, great big honking 50s neck, no PCB or weird switching options, Dimarzio Super D/36th anniversary PAF, 50s wiring — except it would only be available in Antigua burst.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 9:33 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.