What would YOUR signature guitar be?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jay Jernigan, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

We've all thought about it. Some of us may have actually done something about it. A lot of us have put together partscasters or even a higher level guitar of the "one-off" persuasion with this in mind, so, honestly:
    What would YOUR signature Guitar be?
    Sky's the limit, devil's in the details.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

‘63 LPB Telecaster w/ rosewood board that has been well played.

Cali Dude and Alex W like this.
  3. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Nothing too fancy. Fender Telecaster Player 3-Tone Sunburst HH with Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special pups...

20190105_125711 (2).jpg

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I love my custom tele but a standard guitar isn’t much of a signature

It would either be a

Strat body with a telecaster bridge ala sonny landreth, tele bridge pickup, strat middle and a jazzmaster pickup in the neck,
    Standard 3 knobs, no tone on bridge, 3 way switch

Neck-Large cbs headstock, 65 fender logo with a rosewood fingerboard (no skunk stripe) the profile would be exactly the same as my 79 lead ii/U-shape .88 at the first fret

Kluson tuners, maybe gold hardware

Color would be -Burgundy mist or Sherwood green

Or some sort or a jazzmaster with the same specs except retaining the jazzmaster trem With only tone and volume

That’s what I would have if I could go to fender and say “make this for me”

AND hypothetically if this was something for sale/production my name wouldn’t be on it anywhere

It kind of gets to me when a signature model has a giant logo/signature on it (I know I know that’s why it is what it is)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    drmordo likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The one I've played for the last 25 years.
    vsST54.png
    ST54

Chiogtr4x, Ebidis, Festofish and 6 others like this.
  6. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

This

Attached Files:

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Since at one time, Fender owned all of Ovation's IP, I had hoped for a Fender-branded Breadwinner or Deacon, or at least a Preacher or Viper. No such luck :(

But if I were a famous player and endorsed by Fender around that time, you betcha I would have insisted they do just that, with my signature on the neck plate. :cool:

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My signature sound comes from my natural MIK Epi Sheraton II with 50s wiring, audio pots and very low output Alnico IIs. I've thrown on a custom 335 ish Black singleply pickguard and all black hardware on and 18:1 Grovers. Yup, it is me all the way. My signature version would have an ebony fretboard just for guitar forums to rant about.

nathanteal, Fretting out and Flaneur like this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Les Paul model would be-

Classic mahogany body/maple top.

Semi hollow. Like Les Paul ES, but no F holes. Or maybe painted on F holes! That would be cool...

PLAIN maple top. No figuring.

MAPLE neck, not mahogany. Rosewood board. 60’s Profile.

Classic neck and body binding. Trap inlays.

DiMarzio Pickups. bridge will be open coil with double creme bobbin. neck with a nickel cover. These would be Signature pickups made exclusively for this guitar, not existing models. I figure if I have my own sig model Les Paul, DiMarzio will wind me whatever I want, right?

All nickel plated hardware. Aluminum ABR bridge and stop tail. Hipshot open gear tuners.

Controls would be single volume, single tone, with a standard three way switch. Two mini toggles to individually switch each pickup series or parallel. Much better than splitting. I have no idea why everybody isn’t doing this.

Finishes would be “top” models. As in “Goldtop” but lotsa cool colors. Meaning the top would have color, the back and sides and back of the neck would be natural. No burst of any kind will be available. And no black. All solid and transparent colors that are actually cool and not totally tired and cliche. I will definitely have some classics. Like Pelham Blue and Inverness Green. Also a totally bitchin trans deep purple. And of course a bright cherry red. Maybe a nice deep ocean blue, too.

Yeah. I’d play that.

10. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Probably hmmmm

Telecaster deluxe Nashville. With tex mex pickups

5 way switch with push pull to turn on neck pickup so you can get the tele front and back end

3 saddle bridge with tempered brass saddles

Blonde with toetoiseshell pick guard.

Strap locks.

My signature on the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I think mine would basically be my Gibson Crest with an added Bigsby B3 but I'd want to adapt the neck join to get better high fret action - it has the worst high fret access of any 335 style Gibson (a fret shorter than an ES330) so a few extra frets clear of the body will make a huge difference.

Probably also need to swap out the Brazilian rosewood for something a bit more environmentally friendly - ziricote maybe? Something that had the exotic look but wasn't on the CITES list would be good.

[​IMG]

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Need you ask?

36079529452_efe48a8a36_z.jpg

Jakedog, jayyj, Festofish and 4 others like this.
  13. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

The starting point would be my first electric and still #1, a CAR classic vibe 60s strat.

Ok, so what would make it more useful? Humbuckers would make it fatter, so putting buckers in that could split to the exact sounds I have now would be ok - but not strictly needed.

Rewiring to include a kill toggle could be fun.

Second output to send E and/or A string separately for bass amp fun.

Weight and balance to remain unchanged. :)

14. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

A set of bound Fenders.
    IMG_20181130_210648.jpg
    IMG_20180919_153356.jpg
    IMG_20200622_205329.jpg

drmordo, tubegeek, tery and 2 others like this.
  15. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Tele shaped body with 'tone chambers', back binding and a over curved front edge (kind of like a ricky 360 construction) a pair of TV jones, Duesenberg tremolo, ebony fretboard and big strat headstock. Available in red, black and white with different Chris 'Coop' Cooper graphics on each colour. 3 knobs.. single vol, single tone, pickup blend.

Jef and brookdalebill like this.
  16. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Mine is a Shawn Lane i have had it around 12 years now, i must admit i did buy it on impluse because of the name, but i really liked it once i got use to it took a while.

I bought it secondhand the guy before me could not get on with it, and it was like new is just the standard model one i believe their is another version and it came from the USA btw.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mine would have a fully hollow solid (not plywood) curly maple Les Paul body, with a 25 1/2 inch scale, straight pull headstock, locking low mass Gotoh/Kluson waffle back tuners, Tusq or GraphTech nut, 1 11/16 inch nut width, ebony fingerboard, real pearl trapezoid (Les Paul) fingerboard inlays, substantial quarter sawn curly maple neck, 2 TV Jones Superton pickups, 3 way toggle switch in the “Les Paul” position, concentric volume/tone control (volume bottom, tone top) placed away from my picking hand, phase switch, natural (blonde) finish, Compton titanium bridge, Bigsby (no down-bearing bar), and Fender strap buttons.
    I’d also need an additional (same type) guitar with a B bender, perhaps an Evans Pull String.
    I want a guitar that looks like a beautiful Les Paul, sounds like my Chet, and has the Bigsby/bender features my playing style requires.
    TMI?
    Yes, I’ve been thinking about my “perfect beast” for a long time.
    Wish me luck!;)

18. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

This in flat orange was exactly what I was going to describe

19. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

??
    What, a 62' Custom or a Thinline deluxe, or Strat Aerodyne, or all 3?

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've settled on this layout....with a cream top...:)

my first one and my most recent one, 10 yrs apart with a few more built in between... :)

Cream top Tele sept '12.jpg

river tele day1.jpg

P Thought, Jakedog, gpilgrim and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.