What would you miss most ? listening or reading ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Dec 5, 2019.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Nature is taking both of them away rapidly enough anyway.

EsquireBoy and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I've thought about it before.
    What you are asking is,
    " Would you rather be blind or deaf"?

As much as I would miss music, I'd say deaf. I feel I could better, independently navigate the world deaf.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

You mean like deaf or blind?

Just kill me.

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

No kidding!:mad:

5. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Listening to music, no question. I have some tune on pretty much from the time I wake up until I go to sleep. Would like to do both, though.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I was there at one point. I always had a book or two or three going simultaneously. Somehow the bottom fell out. I became over-saturated with reading!? I haven’t read a book in 6-7 years.

I’m trying to learn guitar, so git off de lawn!

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Music. Reading is for survival, music is for fun.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

You're lucky! I can't follow audio books. If I can't read it, I can't soak it in.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

According to Helen Keller, it is the loss of hearing that is far worse as it makes things lonely. She would certainly know better tham me, but I still think I would prefer my ability to read over hearing. The reason is simple, reading a novel creates so much more in your mind than can ever be accomplished by sound. The author (unless you are Hawthorne) describes a scene with enough vagueness that the reader fills in the details from their own personal memories and viewpoints making them part of the story. No 2 people will ever get the same images from reading the same book and that is an amazing reality.

If I was to talk about my high school gym teacher walking through the weight room between classes, everybody would be picturing their own gym teacher. Maybe he is fat, bald, really fit, wore those coach shorts, Converse sneakers, greased his hair, always eating, wore a whistle, etc., but the reader will have created that person mentally and not the author. Again, unless you are Hawthorne who would spend 30 pages describing every single shadow and item in a room...never liked his works.

Nightclub Dwight and RodeoTex like this.
  10. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Ah! I see now. I read a !ot, but, evidently I'm lacking a bit in comprehension.:oops:
    With a few exceptions I stopped listening to and buying new music over twenty years ago. I can only guess at how many books I've read in that time; several hundred.
    My favorite songs are on random auto-play in my head, and they haven't written my favorite book yet, so I'll go with giving up listening to (new) music.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  11. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

To give up one for the other is too much to contemplate.

I could not live happily without both, in my life.

12. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Neither. I need all of my senses since I’m down to only one working eye. I still read and listen to music on a daily basis

13. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

The one thing I really would miss most is breathing... ;)

Skydog1010 and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  14. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Reading...
    Specifically books. Real books with real paper.

I don't listen to the radio, whatever music I want to hear, if not in my head already, is in...

A book. I can read it!

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I sure miss the days when my eyes would allow me to read a book until 3am on a week night.

Milspec likes this.
  16. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Well, there are still times when I can find an opportunity to sit down, quiet down, and crack open a book. The only time I can really listen to music anymore is in the car and that’s not *listening* the way I used to... I used to sit in a darkened room and really focus on the music, have it loud enough to blot out the world, really feel it. I can’t even remember the last time I was able to do that and I do miss it. All of that equipment is even packed away...best I can do now is either a pair of Grado cans or decent Bluetooth speaker. :(

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If we are talking about going deaf or going blind, I would shoot myself if I were blind. Deaf, I might too, but god at least you can live some kind of life. I know some wonderful hearing impaired people who have made a life for themselves, and there are other deaf people to communicate with. I don't know of any blind people with any kind of life.

As far as reading or books - if I couldn't read I couldn't work, couldn't live. Couldn't participate in TDPRI! So I guess music would have to go. Terrible decision...

Skydog1010 likes this.
  18. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

All of us here obviously love music, or we wouldn't be on this forum. If I really had to choose, I'd rather be deaf. A lot of people have made good points. @Milspec made the point that Helen Keller said that a loss of hearing is more isolating. I am not about to argue with her. But reading has probably been the one thing that has brought me the most happiness consistently throughout my life. For example, if I am travelling on a long plane ride I bring several books and magazines. Ditto for any time I will be in a waiting room for any period of time. Others have mentioned how reading taps into our own minds to fill in the blanks in what we read. Definitely.

Other people have mentioned the music is always playing in their head. That is definitely true with me too. IMHO, even deaf people must have a sense of rhythm. For all of us, the one constant in our lives is our heartbeat. It is the most basic primal rhythm known to man. We knew the beat of our heart even before we were born! One can argue that a loss of rhythm is truly the death knell. It is inextricably bound with our existence. We can augment that rhythm in many ways. Us fools here choose the guitar. But even in abject silence I hear the music in my head. Even doing something as basic as walking a few blocks down the street aligns my entire soul with the rhythm of my steps.

I paint houses, and I prefer to work alone. I work in silence. Most tradespeople I know blast a radio when they work. I love to blast music too, but I prefer the zen like approach of working in silence, developing my own rhythm. I work out a lot of song ideas that way, and it serves as a sort of inner meditation. If I am going to listen to music I like to specifically listen to music. I also cook a lot. Strangely, when I cook I blast music.

And last, even deaf people can feel the music. Turn the drums and bass up loud enough and you don't need ears to feel the music. But no matter how brightly you shine the light, blind people still can't read.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Its like asking whether you prefer vanilla or chocolate. Vanilla.

Milspec likes this.
  19. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Listening for sure! Reading never gets me pumped up in a great mood like listening to my favorite music!!

20. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I'd choose being deaf. I like it nice and quiet when I'm reading.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.