What would you miss most ? listening or reading ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Dec 5, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

In my case, what i would miss most is reading. I read on a daily basis, but music, not so much. It was a really big part of my teenage years, but nowadays, i only listen to songs i need to work on, or songs that are fun to play. But i don't listen to music on a daily basis.

What would you rather give up ?

Milspec likes this.
  2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Reading.
    My head is full of music but I'd really miss my books.

Milspec and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I hardly read anymore, online inanity has seemingly taken the place of that

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That's a really tough one.
    With audio books you can now have access to reading, but you cannot really enjoy music without hearing.

Straydogger and 8barlouie like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

reading

6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I didn't mean the audio books, i meant the real paper books.

7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Wait, I'm confused (not unusual). Are we talking about reading and listening to music or reading and listening to books?
    i can't "read" music, so I listen and sometimes try to play. I can't listen to audio books, but I read every day.

johnny k likes this.
  8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

If you don't read much, do you still listen to music for the fun of it ? I don't mean the radio, and i don't mean playing your favorite beatles album every once in a while.

Wallo Tweed and nojazzhere like this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

No, i meant if you had to give up something, would it be the books or the music ?

As @ClashCityTele mentionned, i ve got the music in my head. The books provide everyday fun that the music can not provide, and i cannot remember every books, but i can remember every lyrics to a song. At least i can remember the lyrics to this one

10. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The thread title asks - "What would you miss most ? listening or reading ?"....but then your first post asks - "What would you rather give up ?".............:confused:.These are opposing questions.

Reading, I would miss most, without a shadow of doubt.

johnny k likes this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I m sorry, let me try to rephrase. If you had to choose between reading books or listening to music, what would you choose ?

I might have typed it wrong, but it was pretty clear to me, but i m not a native speaker.

Books, or records ? might be a proper way to put it. I d d go for books.

12. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Glad i waited to answer this, me thinks OP should edit title to " reading books or music"

because " listening or reading ( hearing or seeing) are different . <<< biased as i'm losing my sight to Glaucoma, and that really only leaves me with one answer

I don't read books per say, but i love to learn things by going down the rabbit hole and spending hours mining info on a topic that has peaked my interest, including forums like this one ..

now, being a musician, song listener etc, it would be very difficult to lose out on that sense.....

tough question, , i've got a hung jury on this one

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    johnny k likes this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i would have to go for books. I would be unhappy if I couldn't listen to music, but I would loose my mind if I couldn't read.

I have never done the audio book thing. I am glad other folks like it, but it doesn't seem very interesting to me.

14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Reading, I would miss music but would prefer to be able to read. Besides how would I chat here?

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Listening. Most of what I read is nonfiction or magazines, and a lot of it isn't for fun. Can't live without my tunes though.

16. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Reading... travelling through time and space (legally) without having to leave the couch? Learning how to put back together all the stuff you've taken apart? Finding and being inspired by new or old heroes? Yeah, i like books
    Of course nothing can replace the sound of a pedal steel, blood harmony, a bad ass riff tipping into feeedback...
    I'm calling it a tie

Milspec and nojazzhere like this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I read, write, listen, and play. All are at the core of my being. This question makes about as much sense to me as asking if I’d rather lose an arm or a leg.

rand z likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, it’s a horrible choice, but I’d have to be able to hear/listen in order to be a musician.
    So I would choose to be able to hear/listen.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    rand z, bluzkat and nojazzhere like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Regardless of how you phrase the question, I would greatly prefer to keep the ability to read. (does that answer anyone's confusion?) I have music "going in my head" constantly.....and I can't turn it off, even at times I might want to. I have trouble falling asleep at night because it won't turn off. Often, it's music I've been working on during the day, but sometimes it's something totally new. Sometimes it interferes with conversations, but through the years I've learned to "kinda" compensate. When I've worked in group settings, and discussions come up as to what to play on the radio or CD player, my vote has always been "nothing".....it usually clashes with what I'm already listening to.
    I don't have time to read for personal enjoyment like I once did, but I still pick up and open a book (usually a novel) for an hour a day, minimum. Reading is almost like breathing.....if for some reason I can't do it in a day, my soul becomes asphyxiated. (has that word ever been used in a TDPRI post?)

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I would not want to be without the ability to read the close captioned portion of TV. I can't hear worth a damn, but I'd like to hang onto how much I can hear. I probably don't hear well enough to qualify for giving up listening. I probably don't read enough to qualify for giving that up either. Do you have another question?

trapdoor2, EsquireBoy and Sanity Inn like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.