What would you fix about the Blues Junior Enclosure/Cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Okieactor, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I'm considering doing a rehouse of my Blues Junior. I have 2 other separate amp heads and a 2X12 cab, so I'd like to leave the Blues Jr. as a combo. But what would you change, if you were to build a new enclosure? My main thing is that the rattle and "boxiness" of it. Seems to me like it's kind of a lot of amp for the size of its enclosure.

My considerations:
    • Would it sound better in a bigger box?
    • Keep it open back, yeah?
    • Floating baffle?
    • Definitely better wood
    • To tolex, or to let the wood show. (Fingerjoints?)

Your thoughts? Anyone successfully improved the FBJ with a rehouse? (If so, pics are great.)

2. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I don't have one (I'm a Pro Jr guy), but despite part of the appeal being the compact size, I think the sound could benefit from a larger cabinet and baffle.

Bruxist likes this.
  3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    old soul likes this.
  4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

A tweed deluxe size cab out of pine should work fine.
    at least it did for my 5f1 clone.

8-DSCN1963.JPG
    :D

Treehouse likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It seems to me the cab size is not bad. It's about the size of a 5E3 already right? But you could go a few inches wider.
    -Pine would be good for weight,
    -floating baffle 1/2 or 5/8 thick. 5/8 better.
    -Too deep is where "boxy/hi fi" comes from, but that amp needs some low end help so probably go to 10-10.5 deep. No more..
    -Tolex or tweed it, wood amps get scratched way too easy.

6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Finger jointed pine.

Good 12" speaker.

Most important:

Make it look like a Peavey SS amp, so you can leave it wherever and nobody steals it ;)

Treehouse and old soul like this.
  7. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

bender66 likes this.
  8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree with everything, but the baffle thickness. I'd go with 1/4" baltic birch. Which is what I have in my '58 Twin. It's a 2x12, and has held up well, including a trip across the country, a good number of gigs, but most important of all, sounds great!

I am actually surprised by the sizes being as close as they are... I've always been struck by the boxiness of the Blues Jrs I've owned.
    • Blues Jr - 16" tall, 9.81" deep, 18" wide
    • 5e3 - 16.7" tall, 9.5" deep, 20" wide
    I know I like a little more room... But, maybe I'm wrong and just thought it was about more room in the cabinet?

saltyseadog likes this.
  9. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Dont go thin on the baffle, people dont realize how easy it is to warp a speaker basket.

10. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I’ve considered a 4x10 bj rehouse. But that would defeat the usefulness of its small, portable size.

As to boxy sounding, it’s the amp. I ran a couple of amps thru my bj speaker and it sounded fine. The stock amp section plugged into other speaker cabs sounded boxy.

Best way to address boxy sound is to spin the tone knobs, an eq pedal or a joyo American sound.

Axis29 and Treehouse like this.
  11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

dial the mids back to 3-4 ...and you have "twinny" amp

12. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

The original 50's tweeds had 1/4" Baltic Birch baffles but they had another 4 x1/4" x 3/4" wide strips glued all around the internal edge of the Baffle making it 1/2" thick on the primeter and it was then bolted to the 1/2" pine narrow panel on the amp box. So you have a 1" deep piece at the top and bottom of the baffle and 1/2" deep on the floating sides.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I would start with calculating the actual volume of the enclosure....

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerBoxEnclosure/
    http://www.micka.de/en/

If you play around with that enough, you'll find that a closed box is a better performer and smaller to carry to a gig, than open or ported boxes.

A correctly sized box really improves the performance of a speaker driver.

Weight is or will become a key component of the build.

Look to the home stereo builder's forums for best speaker design parameters. Insulation inside the box, wood or MDF, reinforcements to avoid sides moving, and so on.

The other thing I'd suggest is separating the head from the box. If you are gigging it's a lot easier to put your small pedal board in the pocket of your backpack guitar gig bag and carry the amp head in one hand and the cabinet in the other hand. This also allows you to change cabinets and speakers. Maybe you like the sound of a small speaker array in a coffee shop gig and the 4x10 in the bar with a drummer. Same amp but flexibility in the size of the cabinet.

14. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

My BJr has a bunch of billm mods and a Cannabis Rex. To fix the rattle, I made sure all screws are tightened down and I put a layer of acoustic-stuff on the the bottom of the cab.

I built a speaker patch bay that allows me to connect any of 3 amps to any one of 3 cabs (including the BJr). The other 2 are a larger 1x12 with an Emi GB128 and an even larger 2x10 with Jensen C10Qs. Both are pine. To me, the BJr doesn't sound appreciably better through the other cabs, just different. I also rather like my DV Mark Micro 50 Jazz amp through the CRex in the BJr cab.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Sell it and buy a Princeton...

Tim S likes this.
  16. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Well on smaller tweeds, there is no 1/2 narrow panel, its 5/16. And all the tweeds ive dealt with used 3/8 baffles. im quite familiar with how they go together, i build them all the time.

17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Build it into an open back 2x12.

Blue tweed ;)

18. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

These are the two articles I based mine on and apparently the later tweeds had the dimensions you mention but the early ones had either 1/4" or 5/16".
    https://bobbyowsinski.blogspot.com/2011/11/importance-of-speaker-baffle.html
    Must have deleted the second one I had but a quick google came up with this one 5/16" with no trim strip though.
    https://reverb.com/item/28408731-1950s-fender-bassman-speaker-baffle-and-grill

jimgchord likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.