What would you do

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by golfnut, Mar 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've been looking for a new custom shop tele and I found one that fits all my criteria (except not sure about the surf green) He gave me his lowest price and I think its very fair. Given this bad economy right now its actually a good deal.
    However he lives 2 hours away from me and I have to drive there. He wants me to meet him at a Tim Horton's off the highway. He's from a guitar forum so pretty sure he's legit. However I feel really uncomfortable about carrying that much cash that far. All the way through the Toronto area and up North.
    I asked if he'd take a bank draft but he said only cash.
    Should I bail out of safety or what?

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like he's calling the shots, and you're the one with the money. That makes no sense to me. Have him meet up with you somewhere YOU feel safe, or forget the whole thing. If something is wrong with the deal this early on, walk away. He is looking to sell, if he won't work with you forget it.

3. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

If you're uncomfortable meeting at a Tim Hortons, you could suggest meeting at an OPP detachment that has an Internet Purchase Exchange Zone.

4. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Take my 1911.
    But then again I always have it...

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Tim Horton's is a deal breaker :p
    I buy/sell/trade quite a bit of gear and my instincts haven't failed me yet.
    TALK to the guy...not text.
    Does he seem like a straight-up guy?
    Does he know about guitars?
    BS about gear with him.
    Most thieves only know about stealing...not guitar gear.
    People are a little squirrely nowadays...there's a wide range of comfort with dealing with strangers, but I think you can still tell if someone is a straight shooter.
    I doubt the guy is going to roll you in a donut shop.
    NOW...he could be a really nice, straight guy, but ignorant.
    He might not know what he has, so it's buyer beware.
    He could also be a LITTLE sneaky...enough to try to sell you something that's not totally legit.
    Not so easy to disassemble a guitar in a donut shop.
    If you're paying good coin for a CS, the body, neck and COA numbers should match.
    And...for better or worse...used stuff sells for cash.
    If you're uncomfortable with that, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    I used to deal antique motorcycles and used to walk around with 15 or 20k.
    My biggest cash deal was $60k.
    The client I got that bike for paid a world record amount for a jumping horse and, being he knew I was OK dealing with large sums, he asked me to mind the cash.
    It was $1M...the seller wouldn't have it any other way.
    And I do not carry a gun.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    CV Jee Beez, Deeve and lil scotty like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

GFrank and TheGoodTexan like this.
  7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I've seen that posting. Great looking guitar. I imagine that seller is 'on the level', and it sounds like you are both being extra cautious. If you want the guitar, I think making the drive is okay. I've bought gutars in parking lots, and driven 2 hours for an amp. Not sure why you'd feel uncomfortable carrying cash a certain distance? Or through a city?

Jakedog likes this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I'd say, if possible, do the transaction via an app like cashapp or venmo. Many PDs will let you conduct an online transaction in their substation, at least here in the states, maybe that's option as well?

Deeve likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn't have a problem with it, and/or I'd make the seller come to me. But, if all else failed, I'd happily pay via Paypal, right in front of the guy. Theoretically, you could even pay in advance, before seeing the guitar. This is how 99.9% of all non-local used transactions are handled, and it works for them. If on arrival, the guitar Is not as advertised, then get a Paypal refund. If the guy refuses to initiate it, contact PP, and they'll freeze his whole account while figuring it out. They definitely are better for the buyer.

What's this fear of carrying cash a certain distance, or through a city? Are you stapling C-notes to your clothing? Wearing a T-Shirt that says "Roll me, I have cash"? If this kind of thing concerns you, then you probably shouldn't be doing any form of deal like this. Call Sweetwater...

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  10. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

you're skeered of meeting the guy at Tim Horton's? I'd stay home for good if I was you.

rangercaster, GFrank, dented and 4 others like this.
  11. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I wouldn't bail because he won't take a check... I think 99.9% of people would tell you to pound sand regarding a check.

CV Jee Beez, GFrank, Deeve and 3 others like this.
  12. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t take a check either, but I also wouldn’t drive two hours to buy a guitar.

jh

dented likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have driven two hours to make a guitar purchase and it worked out fine. I wouldn't do it again though, even though it was a pretty good experience all around, I wouldn't expect that every time.

14. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Take s couple o good ole boys with you.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

What if things were to go horribly wrong. Id'd get this dude to advertise it, reach an agreement and pay by Bpay. That way there's a record of payment.

16. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Will you be able to try it out through an amp to see what it sounds like?

17. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Is he opposed to setting up a Reverb/Ebay sale to exchange the money securely?

Is there a police station in the area that you could meet at instead?

I get that the seller is calling the shots and making it convenient for themselves. People back out of Craigslist/etc all the time, if I'm the seller I pick the time/place and its up to the buyer to come to me. Now that doesn't mean the OP has to do that, after all $2K is a lot of $$$, so you're right to be cautious.

I'm just pointing out that the seller picking the time/place doesn't sound all that suspicious by itself.

18. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

It sounds like you are concerned about having the cash on you, not just at the meeting. I suggest you get your bank's mobile app on your phone. Have the seller do the same. You can then transfer the money via INTERAC at the meetup. Make sure you set a high enough transfer limit. If you both have some trading points from the other forum, I wouldn't worry to much.

19. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel TDPRI Member

If you are not comfortable with either the hassle or perceived level of risk vs the potential savings then just back away. Long and McQuade used inventory might be a better option if they have a comparable guitar. Gets you the opportunity to evaluate the guitar in store and 30 day return policy. You pay for the store to store shipping.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Offer him an extra 50$ if he comes to your place

OldDude2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.