1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What would you do with this?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jefcon1, Sep 16, 2010.

1. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

I have a cabinet my dad made in college (1960's) as a subwoofer. It used to be powered by a 12 watt tube amplifier through a crossover from the stereo outs of his record player. Everything but the cabinet has long since left my possession. The cabinet holds 9" speaker attached to a baffle that was added to cover a 12" hole. It has an adjustable port on the front at the top. The dimensions are 35.5 x 27.5 x 16.5 inches. The material is 3/4 inch plywood and a piece of partical board to hold the smaller speaker. Interior is 26" wide.

I have long been planning something to do with it, but too scared to start working on it for sentimental reasons (Dad died when I was 6). Now its taking up space and I have an up coming gig and I need an extension speaker for added bass for several dropped tuning songs. So this will be it in the temporary. Picture the added baffle piece removed and a G12 in the 12" hole. I'll let you know how it sounds.

For the long term I'm thinking either an oversized 2x12 or 1x15 JBL E-130 if I can ever get my hands on one. My TRII has 2 E-120s that I think would sound splendid sitting on top of that cabinet with the E-130!

What would you do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is upside down which will be its new right side up. You can see the 12" hole that the extra baffle piece covers.
    [​IMG]

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice cab....great grille cloth. I had a nice '60's Sano amp built in New Jersey that had the same cloth. Whatever speaker/s you choose to use, it would be best if it were a 4 ohm load to match the 4 ohm load in the TRII, right? IF you run a 8 ohm speaker in there, the work will be dispensed unequally to the internal 4 ohm load. Also, you want to match the efficiency of those JBL's...or you won't hear the external cab very well.

3. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

Good points! I hadn't thought about the details yet. When the time (and money) comes to do this for the long term, 4 OHMs and high sensitivity are a certainty. I'll be looking for a big clean wall of Fender sound. And I definitely want all the speakers pulling their share of the load. If I can't locate the JBL E-130 in 4 ohms I may go with the Weber Ceramic Cali 15. Farther down on the list would be 2 12" 8 ohm Calis. But the 15 is really what I'm after. I have a vision of my TRII on top of that cabinet laying on its side loaded with an e-130 sitting on top a a pile a rubble that used to be my garage.

I still haven't put the G12 in it to use with the Peavey yet. We have several family projects going on right now. It's a 16 ohm G12 that will be in parallel with the 16 ohm G12 that's in the amp. The amp is rated at 8 ohms and its solid state to I should be fine there.

4. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

You can start by sending me that grill cloth. Seriously I have a 1959 Ampeg combo that I'm in the middle of restoring (personal) and that was the original grill cloth. I can't find it anywhere. I was just about to settle on the 1960 reissue silver grill cloth and deal with it. If you're pulling that off PM me I could really use it for this restore.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A JBL E-130 is a monster speaker: http://www.usspeaker.com/jbl%20e130-1.htm
    105dB sensitivity! If you can't find one, Weber's California-15 or Neo-15 would be great, too, and you could simply order it in 4 ohms.

6. pasquale

pasquale Tele-Meister

Hmmm....

I have lately gotten addicted to the 15" SRO in my wife's Portaflex. They can be had on the E-bay for not unreasonable money and man you can get some singing twang out of those monsters. That cab is so tall you may be able to go with a 15" and maybe two little Weber ceramic 10"s, that would be wall of sound, just leave enough money in the budget for wheels as that will put some weight in. Either way with a little bit of time you will have yourself a cool rig with a great story.

7. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

I just google the 59 Ampeg. Dang that is the same grill cloth! I'd love to help you out but this cab has to much sentimental value to it. Good luck though!
    Yeah I was wondering about the NeoMag too. I wonder how they compare to the Calis. They are both claimed to be replacement for D-130 yet the Neo is $60 more. I know its lighter but I wonder if it is more efficient, or closer to the E-130.

The SRO looks beastly too. I hadn't thought about the 10's, but I think wheels will be a requirement in any scenario, as well as handles! Obviously my dad had planned for this to stay in one spot for extended periods of time. It's light (right now) , but it's very awkward to grab hold of.

8. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

I understand. This is what it's supposed to look like with the proper grill.

[​IMG]

9. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

You might have some success here:

http://www.fliptops.net/index.htm

I couldn't find your specific cloth, but they may have a source. Good luck.

10. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Unfortunately Bruce [fliptops] said I was pretty much SOL and suggested I went with 1960's grill cloth.

Hey Jefcon, is that swirl stitching silver or white?

11. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

The swirl is white. Also the sticking on mine looks a little different than the Ampeg. Mine looks more square and the Ampeg more rectangular. But that could just be the camera angles.

12. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Jef, Is the white just looped through the peaks of the grill cloth? How thick is the thread would you say?

I might be able to take a Fender style silver grill cloth and use the dark side if it and attempt to copy the swirl pattern.

13. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

I can't remember, I'll check it tonight.

14. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Cool!

(tumbleweeds...)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.