1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What would you do with this Princeton amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Intubator, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I subscribe to the thought that that is one amp in which a mismatch is not something to do. Ommv. It definitely affects the amp sonically, and I would fear that it stresses the OT.

King Fan and Intubator like this.
  2. Teisco88

Teisco88 TDPRI Member

I'd put that era correct alnico speaker in it, put the back panels on it and then just enjoy it for a while, see how much I like the tone and which guitar it makes friends with. I have a super soft spot for little old tube things though, I enjoy every single second of restoring them. That thing looks cute as hell though, cheers!

Intubator likes this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

These are the Princetons that Revival Amps were based on I played in the facilities.

An original must be dope. The CEO owner would talk about how magic they were

Id put in new caps and trans and put an Celestion Alnico Gold or Alnico Cream in there, if you feel like a classic sound throw in a Blue :)

Use modern tubes. GT all around.

This is what I would do

Intubator likes this.
  4. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Hey The-Kid, thanks for the suggestion on the speakers, and those Celestions you suggest are wonderful. I'm a bit partial to Webers so if an old P10Q doesn't work out I'd probably go with the 10A100T in 4 ohms at 15 Watts. Fortunately, the transformers are just fine and I just replaced the electrolytics and put a grounded cord on too. So hopefully good to go on that end for a while.

Teisco88 and The-Kid like this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

The P10Q should do fine. Always a great speaker for any Fender.

Enjoy man!!!

These are amazing!

Intubator likes this.
  6. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

The other day I spent a few hours getting the old hide glue off with a garment steamer, vs sanding. A lot of elbow grease, two layers worth of hide glue throughout but got it done... The garment steamer worked surprisingly well. This afternoon I put two very thin layers of 50% reduced nitro lacquer over the exposed wood. The nitro is still gassing off a bit so the glossiness will be subdued quite a bit when its done. Maybe someday I'll get her recovered with tweed, but for now she looks pretty good to me. Have a Weber 10A125 20W 4ohm coming sometime soon, so now just looking for an old period grill cloth to finish her up with for now.

20200125_201757_resized.jpg

Blue Bill, gobi_grey, Alter and 4 others like this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Perfect. And I love your speaker choice. Nicely done.

I may have missed it, but is that the handle it came with? Can we see a close-up? I don't know, but I'm wondering if it's original or...

8. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Thanks King Fan. The handle is a reproduction I bought a few weeks ago and reliced myself , it's from Angela. I like the looks in general and the price was pretty good about $8.00, handle only. Antique electronic supply also has something very similar which I like a bit more and is the correct thickness too but has six layers of leather more like the originals for Champs and Princetons.

20200126_121129_resized.jpg

20200126_121150_resized.jpg

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Dang! Beat me to the punch!:rolleyes:

Intubator likes this.
  10. Teisco88

Teisco88 TDPRI Member

Ah look at the natural patina, you did it a favour. I like those finger joints and aged look better than any new tweed.

Intubator likes this.
  11. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

It looks great, but I would still restore. No question.

Congrats on owing a very cool amp.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Intubator likes this.
  12. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It’s just me, but I like the bare wood. Says ‘vintage amp' — a re-tweed never could.

As a side note, it looks about 1000x better than those commercial 'barn-wood' amps — including Fender's.

gridlock and Intubator like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.