What would you do with Five Meeeeelion Dollars

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Over the years, I’ve come to see money, not so much as a way to buy things, but as a way to do things. There was a time when a windfall would have seen me make a beeline to the Mercedes dealership, but at this point, I’d probably just do a mechanical refresh of my Toyota pickup. It’s probably the best vehicle I’ve ever owned and I really don‘t see any reason to trade up. Maybe a second car of some sort, just as a backup.

The only major acquisition would be a different house. Nothing fancy, but a bit larger and with an unfinished basement, one part of which would become a music room where I could invite friends over to jam. My MacBook and a $500 interface would be all the recording studio I could ever want. I’m happy with Garageband.

I really don’t need any gear, to speak of, but to be honest, I’d probably buy something. Maybe a few mic’s and a 5 string C-E baritone tuned in fifths.

Mostly, I’d try to help my family and make sure that my loved ones had homes of their own and the employment skills to support themselves.

Many charities have become too heavy, and money donated does not always reach those in need, at least in reasonable proportion, so I’d be very careful about donating money, unless I knew that my donation would not simply go to fund a sinecure for someone administrating a “charity”.

My real dream would take much more than $5 mil’. We’re I filthy rich, I would love to have a music venue that was open to all ages, so that youngsters interested in music could have the opportunity to experience live music in a small scale setting, and I would want to have events where young musicians could learn, take instruction, and have the opportunity to jam with experienced musicians.

Such a venue might be self supporting if it were near a population center and operated as sort of a dinner theater environment, but it would be important to me to have alcohol-free performances that were open to all ages. I still remember the frustration of wanting to hear live Jazz, but being unable to get in, because I was under age.

A friend recently told me about how he would stand out in the alley behind Shaner’s (Denver night club) when he was in his teens, so he could hear Johnny Smith, being too young to be allowed inside. I also remember being penniless, and not having the opportunity to play good instruments. It seems to me that a lot of good could be done if talented kids could rub elbows with experienced players and maybe get the chance to try out some decent instruments.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
I'd retire and move permanently into my Continental EU holiday home, and buy me a coupla cool vintage axes. Nothing excessive though, i.e. no Bursts or Tele prototypes or such, but rather pieces I could use without worrying overmuch. One can always dream :D

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
Where I live it would just cover a house and then you would need the rest just to pay expenses. (property tax alone would be about 60k per year.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
5 million? Disappear.

Small place on an island, a bicycle, an espresso bar within riding distance, and a phone for which the number only my daughter knows.

The rest I’d tuck away in some investment that I could draw from so I could buy her plane tickets to visit as she pleases.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
New undies for sure, proper cotton ones at that....;)

to wear on my shrimp boat...I mean, what else would you need?...

I don't know ..buy stuff, I suppose..;)

Be stupidly generous on a whim...;)

Disconnected

TDPRI Member
5 million? Disappear.

Small place on an island, a bicycle, an espresso bar within riding distance, and a phone for which the number only my daughter knows.

The rest I’d tuck away in some investment that I could draw from so I could buy her plane tickets to visit as she pleases.
This is literally my plan word by word.

sk25

Tele-Meister
Hmm...

1) Pay off my & my girl's debts

2) Get a good house with the space we need/want, including outbuildings, on a pretty big plot of land somewhere in the Appalachians with a good bit of forest around and no neighbors in sight

3) Make sure my parents are taken care of

4) College trust fund for the nieces and nephews

5) Retreat from society

--------

That wouldn't actually use that much of the money...so whatever's left after everything was properly settled would go into investments that would hopefully have a big enough return I wouldn't have to work a regular job again.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well.... I suppose after taxes it would be more like 2 million. With that, I'll take you out to lunch and buy you a couple sheets of plywood ;)