What would you do with Five Meeeeelion Dollars

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'd buy the house next door, tear it down and replace with "my dream house". Anything left over would go in the nest egg.

For some reason I covet that location, and the house that is presently there is kinda sh*tty.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Give over half a million away.

Then I would talk to my brother and my other brother's widow about dividing up some pine timber acreage we inherited from our parents. I'd build a house on my 20 + acres and maybe two more, one for each son and their families. Get us all away from the bad traffic and bad drivers around here.

This is assuming it's $5M is after taxes.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I would sell my house, and my mother in law’s house. I would build us a nice new big single level one we could share. She’s getting older, and won’t be able to keep up with her place forever. Plus, I give it about ten more years before my wife is having real trouble with stairs.

I would make sure both of my daughter’s educations were 100% handled.

I would buy a second house in New Mexico. Probably Red River area.

I would start a trust to fund my favorite dog rescue outfit long term.

I would lease a bus, hire a driver, hire a band, hit the road, and pay them what they’re actually worth. Regardless of what the gigs paid.

I’d still have a couple million I could live out the rest of my days on, if I was careful and not silly.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I'd make sure my church and my local dog rescue outfits were in the black for some time. I'd also fund a no-kill shelter in the town where I live at present; it's a dumping ground for strays, but too small to have a shelter of its own.

I'd find a suitable secluded location with a nice modest house, and a big fenced yard, and move there to live out my sunset years.
With whatever was left, I'd live on what I needed and help out friends with the rest.
Oh. And donate to cancer and heart research, in memory of my mother and father, respectively.

That's all I could think of offhand. I don't need a vehicle, or god forbid any more music equipment. It would be nice to have a music room where my band could come over and jam and we could cook out and stuff too.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
$1,000,000 to my daughter so she can actually "buy" a home in California and stay close to me.
$1,000,000 to my son to do the same
$1,000,000 for myself to bolster my retirement fund...use as a little play money perhaps
$1,000,000 to one or more children's charities
$1,000,000 to get rid of my wife...a little "lovely parting gift" as we divorce and get on with our lives
In California isn't her parting gift 2.5 million?

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
I'd buy a large amount of wooded land, with streams/rivers and ponds. The house would not be overly large - the pole barn, however, would be huge. It would have 2 full apartments within it, in addition to a complete auto shop(with lifts) and mechanics bench/tools. Oh yeah, I'd buy some really nice old school muscle cars and cool, quirky guitars and basses. It's fun to dream, sometime.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Build two more houses on our 17 acres for our kids. Rebuild the house to improve the view. Build a "Darryl's House" studio for jamming and a shop for the cars and equipment. Take the grandkids to Europe, Japan, the great wall and Australia over a few years. Probably a truck to tow the Casita and retire the Sienna.

Maybe a fence for the front of the place and around the garden and a nice greenhouse with a concrete floor.

That's about it. Maybe a nice pair of Duluth Trading overalls.

Invest the rest into a charitable remainder trust to provide music scholarships to disadvantaged kids.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
$700,000 to buy a new house.
$1,000,000 to spend / buy whatever related to home furnishings, automobiles, computers, clothes, etc.
$1,000,000 towards the education of my grandchildren.
$1,000,000 to St. Jude's Hospital.
$1,000,000 to Shriner's Hospital.
$100,000 to whatever jewelry my wife wants to buy.
$100,000 to be divided between extended family members who could use the help.
$100,000 to purchase whatever guitars, amps, etc., I would like to own.