What would you do? (Kansas content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MisterZ, Jun 15, 2021.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I am a member of the local community chorus, and as such I'm occasionally asked to play guitar for various pieces. This summer as part of our annual concert of lighter music our director handed me "Dust In The Wind" and said "This would sound better with guitar than with piano".

Here's my question: I'm also playing on a couple of other songs and using an electric. Should I also play this one on the electric or also bring an acoustic and have them mic me? Using the electric would be easier on both me and the sound guys, but it would probably sound better on acoustic.

I may have just answered my own question, but I'm now curious how y'all would handle it.

2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I'd work on as tasteful an electric version as possible, maybe with a little chorus to soften it up. You didn't say if it is inside or outside, to me an acoustic with a mic could encounter wind and other issues where a electric might not.

And I'd see what your sound people has to say, maybe they're up for a challenge. Best of luck.

3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Bring both.
    Determine which sounds better during soundcheck.
    Play the better sounding guitar.

brookdalebill and MisterZ like this.
  4. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

In my limited opinion, an electric will never sound exactly like an acoustic and vice versa - but you can get a passable approximation of the feel with some effort. Someone mentioned chorus - which is one possibility - and Boss used to make an acoustic simulator pedal (maybe still does) that I’ve used to get acoustic like tones onstage.

to me, figuring out what will best serve the gig will require considering what will make me as the player most comfortable with the piece.

good luck!!

MisterZ likes this.
  5. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

Assuming you will finger pick it like the original, I would use an electric with chorus and some light reverb.

Harry Styron and MisterZ like this.
  6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Borrow or rent a Fender Acoustasonic.

MisterZ likes this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Lots of good Kansas songs...

8. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Acoustic guitars almost always sound horrible when they plugged in. If more people were honest about that we could’ve avoided an entire generation of bad sounding “acoustic” performances

Use your electric played clean

MisterZ likes this.
  9. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I would try both at a rehearsal and then get feedback from the choir. I agree with some chorus and reverb but experiment on what you would say sounds the best.

MisterZ likes this.
  10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Age old question: do you sacrifice tone for convenience?

And IMHO, the Acoustasonic Tele won't solve the problem.

I test drove one when it first came out. To my ear, it can do passable tele bridge sounds (I wasn't overly impressed with that Noiseless4 pickup, YMMV), if it's strung with nickelplated steel strings and it's plugged into something like a DRRI (as I was for the test drive) or other respectable amp for tele playing.

Or it can give you useable acoustic tones if it's strung with phosphor bronze strings and it's plugged into an amp for acoustic/electric (e.g., Fishmoan Loudbox) or a PA (as I was for the test drive).

Again, just my opinion here, but it can't do both equally well with just the flip of a switch. To me, that guitar is an either/or, not a both/and. And that kind of defeats the purpose behind it, doesn't it?

Seems to me, though, you've still got good options, as they've already been discussed here. You didn't specify what electric guitar you're considering. If it's the Tele in your avatar pic, I would try both pickups in parallel before going to a humbucker neck pickup alone. But then not all humbuckers are created equal. If played clean it doesn't get muddy or dark and gives you clarity and a throatiness, maybe that'll work.

I just tried it on one of my teles. I don't have a tele with a neck humbucker. I used one with DiMarzio Twang King pickups, and tried it both with both in parallel and just the neck pickup alone. I was plugged into one of my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs, and used the amp's tremolo (speed & depth both set low, as in 9 o'clock) and reverb (set at 2 o'clock, since the reverb pan on the 15R is small and needs to be cranked more to really get wet). Either way works for me. I then added in some chorus via my BOSS ME-70, and that was good, too.

MisterZ likes this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gaaah! Now I have that song stuck in my mind. Thanks for that. :mad:

MisterZ likes this.
  12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I've played that song a lot - on electric and acoustic. Not gigged it, but played it. My observations are these:

1 - an electric guitar typically has more sustain than acoustic and it makes the song sound a little different. Not bad, just different. I use a lighter touch and grip with playing it on the electric (than normal for an electric). I'd stay away from a compressor and work on a nice even touch.
    2 - Aside from the obvious "tone" of the instruments, the wound third string is the biggest difference to my ears. I have to consciously take it easy on the third string when playing electric.

But my opinion is this: a compelling tone is a compelling tone is a compelling tone. If you can serve the song and make it sound good on an electric, then do it! Makes it easier on everyone - you AND the soundman. It sounds like they were thinking about trying to play it on a keyboard?? Anything you bring to the table will improve that.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the violin solo. Will they have a violinist? Or use a keyboard? If they're using a keyboard, I'd lean towards using an electric. But if they're having a real violinist play, I think a real acoustic would compliment the ensemble sound very well.

LGOberean and MisterZ like this.
  13. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Thanks - lots of great advice here.

To answer a couple of questions posed above, I'd be using my Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet through a Katana 50, both on this and the other things I'm playing on. If acoustic, I'd go with a cheap nylon-string that I've used before.

It is an outdoor performance, weather permitting, which makes me lean more toward the Gretsch.

As to that violin solo...believe it or not, that's being done by the chorus.

getbent, ukepicker and LGOberean like this.
  14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Perfect! I'd go Gretsch, hands down. The Katana is a great choice, too - you should be able to dial something in that sounds great for that song.

MisterZ likes this.
  15. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

PXL_20210721_220828401.jpg Gig was tonight - I did indeed use the Pro Jet through the Katana 50 mk 1.

Had the amp on 25w setting, and it was miked, so really I was using it as a monitor for the chorus. Turns out that I played the violin solo on "Dust In The Wind" (RIP Robby Steinhardt) instead of the chorus singing it. The Gretsch was great on "Ghost Riders In The Sky", my big number.

All in all a pretty good performance!

radiocaster and getbent like this.
  16. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Whenever I'm in Kansas, I try to head West on I-70 as quickly as possible so I can get to Colorado.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

Torren61 and MisterZ like this.
  17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Electrified acoust
    Couldn't agree more. I've yet to hear an electrified acoustic guitar that didn't sound like @## to my ears. Sorry, JMHO. Use a real acoustic guitar and mic it if conditions allow. I'm in a bluegrass band and we mic our acoustic instruments all the time. Find someone that plays in a bluegrass band. They're used to micing acoustic instruments.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Did you drive past the tree?

Big_Bend likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.

Better to skip "Dust in the Wind" altogether, IMhumbleO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.