What would you do - feedback on Reverb

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by pulteney, May 29, 2019.

1. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Hahaha thanks for your post!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

You got lucky! Heavy is good. Both mine are near 8.5 # and have been keepers for 15-20 years due to their resonance. But seriously, it's returnable, send it back if you must have a light one.
    On bathroom scales anything under 20 lbs or so I weigh holding it.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The world is full of crazy these days (though I suppose the middle ages were worse, what with being disemboweled in the town square while still alive), and both businesses and customers are always wrong.
    I'm the maint person at a seaside resort where I essentially do customer service.
    Lotta pissy folks just want some kindness for a few minutes, then they feel better and get on with their vacation.
    Or not.
    Sometimes there's nothing I can do if their complaint is due to their mistake in choice of room.
    I still try to find a way to make them feel helped though, yesterday an old couple couldn't operate the heat, so I hunted down a remote for the unit, then the old lady told me her husband was a disabled Vet and there were no bars in the shower, so I brought in a mesh outdoor chair and put it in the shower.

This was a really lame solution to the problem, yet they were so happy with it.
    Go figure.
    Made me happy too.

Problems happen, it's how they get dealt with that makes a business better or worse.
    Same with customers.
    Being civil is a lost art!
    IMO.

dswo, blueruins and pulteney like this.
  4. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Indeed. Long story short, I wasn't expecting that much difference, that's what annoyed me. Let's see what they say if they ever reply to me. Now I'd be happy to delete the whole thread – I don't think anyone else will find it interesting – but unfortunately I can't.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's something you need to ask them about, for sure. Then decide what to do.

One thing that is almost certain is that you won't be able to find a 7 lb. copy of that model. It's not about that. It's about making a purchase based partly on bad information...and I fully understand how bothersome that is.

Hopefully they just admit their mistake and offer a reasonable concession.

6. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Amen to that.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

One can only hope that this clown locks his keys in on a regular basis and does it in a part of town that makes him un-easy.

bftfender likes this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins TDPRI Member

I would be pretty irate because to me over 7 implies it’s not over 8lbs and I don’t prefer guitars over 8lbs.
    However, you’ve got to have a reliable scale before you complain. A kitchen scale or fish scale is going to be much more accurate in that range.
    As far as the weight of a CV telecaster; mine is the same model as yours and weighs 7.6lbs. I had Guitar Center weigh it before I bought it from them. If it had come in more than 3-4oz’s heavier than that I would have had something to say for sure.
    If you like the guitar that is a separate issue.
    Weigh it accurately and if it’s over 8 pounds please note that fairly in your review so people like me won’t get a misrepresented guitar in the future.

9. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

I will.

10. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Kitchen scale, 8.708259 lbs. Perhaps they meant 'slightly above 8.7'. Shame they left 8. out :D

blueruins likes this.
  11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I don't mind heavy guitars - never even considered a guitars weight until I entered the 'Tele world'. I bought a 2006 CP 60's Tele new. It was a good guitar, but it weighed 8 lbs 10 oz. When I went to sell it, it became unsellable due to the weight. I'm sure if I reduced it enough and waited longer it may have sold. But the weight was an issue in every response from interested parties. I turned it into an Esquire. Now it's 8 lbs 8 oz :)

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Reach out. The item is not as described. If you don't want an 8.6lb Tele after being told it was about 7lbs, they'll take it back. Their mistake. They'll provide a shipping label too.

That's a 20% difference. And you might have bought that one specifically because they told you it was about 7, over other ones.

If it's all there in writing and they refuse to take it back (if that's the route you want to go), I'd be shocked if the platform didn't back you up. The item is not as described. Same as if they pictured and described the guitar as red, and sent you a white one.

And it doesn't need to be so complicated. Bathroom scale method is fine. If you're worried about your scale, weigh a gallon of milk or a dumbell and see if it checks out.

But definitely work with the retailer rather than post a review without trying to work it out. If you decide to keep it, still reach out, as they might refund some $$ for their mistake. And it probably is an honest mistake - like literally someone forgot to type the "8" as mentioned above.

blueruins and pulteney like this.
  13. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

In my opinion, The heavier bodys have a warmer tone. I have a telecaster I built, the body alone weighed in at 6.9lbs naked. This thing is like an anchor, its so heavy I didn't put strap pegs on it, yet. And Im just loving the sound of the 1970s Japanese strat pickup I put in it..
    20180810_200907.jpg

pulteney likes this.
  14. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Just got their reply. ‘Hey NAME! Not sure how our scales were THAT off, but we have your back! Enjoy the guitar for now, and we will order a few more examples from Fender. When they get in, we will quadruple check the weights and swap this one out for a lighter example if that helps you!’

I said, ‘That would be awesome NAME. I really want to give you a 6-star feedback and as soon as I get a lighter one rest assured everyone will want to buy their next guitar from you.’

15. blueruins

blueruins TDPRI Member

Sounds like a good resolution to me. Good for you reaching out and good on them for handling it like a boss.

The Angry Possum and pulteney like this.
  16. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Can't work out any better than that.

The Angry Possum and pulteney like this.
  17. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

I look forward to the happy ending to reveal the name of the shop and the agent I’ve been dealing with.

18. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

You said you liked the resonance of the guitar... I'd keep the original one you got. Everything is meant for a purpose.

19. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Not too sure or we’d still be walking around naked picking up berries. Hmm, maybe we’d be better off!

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Glad to hear you got great service from the seller.

All this discussion about weight made me curious, so I put my vintage blond CV on a small scale that goes to 10 lb. It comes in at 7 lb 12 oz, including the strap. They're not all bricks.

pulteney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.