What would you do - feedback on Reverb

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by pulteney, May 29, 2019.

1. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

If it really is bothering you, you can go by the post office and see if they will weigh it for you.

2. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

You may be totally correct, but I wouldn’t argue a case using a bathroom scale. If Reverb gets involved they likely won’t recognize it either. I bought an inexpensive scale accurate to 0.1oz mostly for my builds but I also weigh anything I sell since it seems to be a common question.

John Nicholas and pulteney like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

oh boy.

nvilletele, drf64 and LutherBurger like this.
  4. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Thanks! Which one did you buy?

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Buy a fish scale. Assuming a 5% tolerance on an uncalibrated bathroom scale at normal use...male is 180 lbs...5% off = 9 lbs variance.

Buy a fish scale. I have this one.

[​IMG]

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

In over 50 years of playing guitars I've never weighed any of them. They're either heavy or they're not. No big deal for me I guess.

Straydogger, hippychip, drf64 and 2 others like this.
  7. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Well, that's a great way to put it. I found it heavier than my previous Teles (7.5-8 lbs) but I think I'll keep it, it's really resonant.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  8. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I bet you're right about the pine. My suspicion is that they use heavy pine that has had hardly zero time to dry, thus is holding tons of moisture weight, too. I just sold a Modern Player Plus with a pine body and it was 12.5 pounds. Sucker was horribly uncomfortable to play standing.

9. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Pardon me for maybe the silliest question ever on TDPRI, but will it lose weight over time then?

10. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Not once it's sealed up with all that poly. Maybe, over an extremely long period it could seep out, but I doubt it would be to the extent of significantly reducing weight. And here in GA the humidity is so high it'd never dry out anyway.

pulteney likes this.
  11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

well I'm no mathematician but 8.6lbs is over 7lbs... so really it boils down to the interpretation of the word 'just'. Personally it would boil down to how much I liked the guitar. The difference in weight IS pretty slight... I don't think this warrants anything afa feedback. if anything, for me, it might warrant no feedback, but not 'less than positive' feedback. Falls in the minor mistake category for me. that said, if you wanted to return it... I think they should acknowledge the mistake and do so for you... and if they don't do that... that warrants bad feedback.

pulteney likes this.
  12. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

As others have said, don't attribute it to a conspiracy when it could have been an honest mistake. Give the seller an opportunity to figure out what happened. If you were buying specifically for the low weight (back problems?), a reasonable seller will do something to make it right. If the weight wasn't a factor, "sorry, we goofed" should be sufficient.

In any case, a pound and a half of guitar doesn't rise to to the level of being gutted. Save that for when your best friend steals your pickup truck and uses it to run off with your girlfriend and your old hound dog.

Straydogger, Hatfield92 and pulteney like this.
  13. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Take it up to the post office and weigh it on the self-service kiosk scale.

SecretSquirrel and pulteney like this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Out of curiosity more than anything else, I weighed my Teles. I really do need to get out more....

CV VB = 8.7lbs <-- about right from what I can gather
    CVC = 8.1lbs <-- on the heavy side, but still ballpark

The Classic Vibes sound so good, I'd wait, plug it in to an amplifier, and if it encourages you to wail away, get a wide strap to spread the weight and make some noise. A heavier Tele is better balanced anyway.

I used an electronic kitchen scale that's good for 5Kg ( but does have 'old money' conversion built in )

15. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Selling my truck first thing tomorrow morning :D

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    jackinjax and Blrfl like this.
  16. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

17. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

I was always taught that most bathroom scales were inaccurate for things that are comparatively light.... like less than 10 pounds. The way to get around that, is to stand on the scale with the guitar and then by yourself and then subtract your weight from the combined weight and that leaves you with the guitar weight.

18. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Hahaha, true!

mistermikev likes this.
  19. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Thanks!

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For years I played a partscaster I made using a big slab of oak.
    Heavy great sounding guitar.
    Now though my back is shot and I have other problems in hands and wrists, so heavy guitars are a no go.

WRT your over weight guitar, even if you don't have any physical need for a light guitar, the internet has made issue of light weight being better and resonant being better.
    Most players who get worked up about weight and resonance probably don't even know what those things mean to the music making function of solid body electrics.

But the market puts a higher price on a 7lb Tele than on an 8lb Tele.
    Further, by now the market knows that the CV Tele is a nice guitar, but heavy.
    So for an experienced seller to claim it's only a little over 7lbs, they claimed that it was an unusually light- hence better version of a guitar that many feel is great except for the weight.

Resonance is just not a feature that makes a solid body electric better, and in fact the idea of the solid body electric was to eliminate body resonance, to reduce feedback.

But since the market is driven more by inexperienced players and buyers, the weight matters!
    Hopefully the seller will get back to you with a positive response.

I've weighed guitars the same way as the OP, stand on the digital bathroom scale, then stand again holding the guitar.

One I took to the post office to confirm the weight and it turned out the bathroom scale method was off by half a pound.

You need a calibrated scale measurement if you want to dispute their claim about what they were selling.
    If the guitar you bought is over 8lbs when they stated that it was a little over 7lbs, that would be a fair reason to return it.
    Sellers know that buyers are concerned with weight, and it effects the price.
    If no weight was given you'd be stuck with it though.
    Their fault for giving faulty info.
    Life is haaaarrrrd!

pulteney likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.