What would you do - feedback on Reverb

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by pulteney, May 29, 2019.

1. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

So I bought myself a new vintage blonde CV Telecaster '50s on Reverb – see avatar – and got it five hours ago. I have to thank the shop for the free Fender gig bag they threw in, that was totally unexpected, top-notch customer care. I haven't plugged it into my practice amp yet – it's coming in two days – but the guitar is really resonant unplugged and a stunner in my book, too.

Now, the one negative note: the guitar weighs in at 8.6 pounds instead of 'just over 7' as they had stated on chat. I knew this line of guitars is quite heavy, I just wish they had told me the truth.

I sent them an email to let them know how I feel. I haven't rated them on Reverb yet, I don't know if I should give them 3 stars instead of 5 or what... Now, really, would you say it was dishonest of them? Has this ever happened to you? I can't understand if I'm being too difficult or what. Thanks!

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

How much of a factor was the stated 7lb weight in your buying decision? In the world of Tele's, 8.6 is considered a heavy guitar.

Dismalhead and pulteney like this.
  3. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

I know, I was hoping for something in the 7.5-8 region. But I trusted the seller, how naive of me... Now, 8.5 isn't too bad, I'm just gutted because I feel they lied to me.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Talk to them first - always. Could be an honest mistake - typed the weight from a different instrument, *shipped* the wrong one - you always give the seller a chance to answer ad take care of it. f they don't, THEN get Reverb involved .

And only then do you leave low feedback - never without giving the other party chance to rectify the situation. Read the Reverb policies re disputes - there are procedures you have to follow.

NewKid, bender66, stnmtthw and 15 others like this.
  5. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Cool, thanks a lot!

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I don’t know what I would do, but what I wouldn’t do is slam the guy over virtually nothing.
    Those rating can cost a guy some real money, and after all the good things you said about him, I don’t think he deserves that.

7. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

I totally agree with you, that's why I sent him a message on Reverb first then came here to let off some steam.

8. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

I have a CV that weighs in at 9.2 lbs, now that is really heavy especially compared to my Roadworn which is 7 lbs... wood densities probably vary a bit but 9 lbs is ridiculous

BUT... the tone on the CV is superior, as are the Alnico 5 pups, to the Roadworn. Maybe the string thru on such a weighty piece imparts an additional resonance.

You may also have a sweet sounding guitar there but if they said 7 lbs I'd probably hold them to it... anybody out there got a CV that weighs less than 8 lbs, maybe they are just a heavy guitar?

pulteney likes this.
  9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Looking at CV Teles at SW, they have 4 BSB and 4 VB-
    the BSB- 9, 9/10, 8/10, 8/10
    the VB- 8/10, 8/10, 8/3, 8/13
    Apparently the pine they use is quite heavy
    I've never weighed a single guitar I've ever bought in my lifetime.
    I know that some are a bit heavier than others, but I really only care about how they sound and play.
    If it was a turkey, a roast, or a steak, then I'd care about the weight. On a guitar, nada.

10. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

This was what I suspected, the pine bodies are not going to come in around 7lbs, ash or alder might but those solid body VBs are all pine.
    On the weights indicated above it looks like you got one of the lighter ones at 8/3, wanna swap?

pulteney likes this.
  11. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Are you sure your scale is correct?

12. LzeroKI

LzeroKI TDPRI Member

To build on this, if you are using a regular bathroom scale with an upper limit of somewhere between 250-300 lbs, then the 7-8lb measurement you are looking at is so far down at the bottom of the scale's sensor curve that you are probably beyond the linear portion of the curve. All that is to say, if you're using a scale meant to weigh things in an average range of 120-220lbs, using it to weigh a 7-8lb item is not going to give a good reliable result.

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Does the guitar sound good? thats what matters...and to leave a negative comment on a business over something so small..just seems not worth it,,if you are that unhappy..send it back .Reading thru the post..you are praising the guitar..then .. a few ounces...go put coins in a bag to represent the weight..lift it...not much huh

14. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

That's a great point, 8.6 was the weight I got after weighing myself on the bathroom scale and then doing it again while holding the guitar – Actually did it three times just to be sure :D

The Angry Possum likes this.
  15. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

I hope I don’t come across as a jerk... but a bathroom scale? Really?

This is why selling gear is such a pain.

16. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Don't worry, you don't. Well, I dit it three times and got the same result, it can't be that different, can it?

17. LzeroKI

LzeroKI TDPRI Member

That method would put the loading in a better place on the sensor curve. However, I'd still hesitate to make a big big stink about a <2lb difference between what your scale says it weighs and what his scale said it weighed, considering neither scale is probably regularly calibrated (if they ever were to begin with).

I understand being a little upset about the weight, but if you did't have an accurate method of weighing it (and had to go by feel only) would you still be this upset? I don't know, that's a personal call for you to make.

Heathfinn likes this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

From the review side of things. Memorial day, guy calls with keys locked in his car. It's 25 minutes out of our territory. He kept calling and calling cause no one else would help him. I explained to him if I do this, it will be a 45 minute ETA. My tech gets there in 39. What happened yesterday, I get a 4 review stating we took to long. I don't even charge him more. I copy and pasted the texts as the rebuttal. I have learned how to let the truth sort the reviews out when unappreciative baby's spout off on the internet.

19. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Which scale should I have used? Just to know, learning something new every day!

20. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Keep in mind that scales vary...and bathroom scales are not very accurate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.