1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What would you do... 100ma to play with and wanting spring reverb.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tubedood, Oct 25, 2020.

1. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Holic

Lets voice opinions on the 1 tube reverbs... 12ax7 based or 12dw7 based.
    I have pondered on this a bit the last week.
    Will a single tube reverb added to a project build with 2 12ax7's and 2 6V6GT's get me useable reverb... not drippy surf reverb but a light to medium reverb.

Initial thoughts were use the 12DW7 and take the reverb signal after the first gain stage before the tone stack... return it before the tone stack ala some older style amps.
    I am very open to suggestions.

2. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Yep that's what you'll get with one-tube reverb -- very usable and non-surfy-drippy.

I didn't find any difference between 12DW7 and 12AX7 to be honest. Surprising but those were my results.

tubedood likes this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Hey, Princeton reverb did it with 70mA. With 100mA you are stylin'. You can have a two tube reverb if you like but it sounds like you are set on one tube.

Which PT are you thinking to use?

4. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Holic

@Lowerleftcoast I have a Weber W022772, 330-0-330 and 300-0-300 at 100ma. I might go with the good ol' 2 tube setup. Was a little concerned on my current draw, already planning on 2 12ax7's and the 2 6V6GT's.

5. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The one tube setup (I also couldn’t tell the difference between DW or AX) will get you a very nice, lush reverb. I would strongly recommend the dwell pot, gives you the option of a sort of room/hall sound too.

tubedood likes this.
  6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Found a layout on reverb dot com site, says 6.3Vct 4A and 5V 3A
    The heater voltage seems to be adequate for whatever you want to do. The 300Vct HT would have a higher rating than 100mA if you chose to go that route.
    Looks like a versatile PT.:)

tubedood likes this.
  7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Holic

Thanks for all of your thoughts!
    I might try both the single tube and dual tube as a benchtop circuit clipped in and then incorporate one of them into the final build.

8. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

IIRC, the one-tube has a 220k or similar mix resistor and the 1 1/2 tube has something much bigger in most Fender circuits as it has an extra gain stage. But I guess folk use the 1 1/2 tube with a smaller mix resistor too, right?

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

If you have one tube for preamp, one for reverb, I assume you propose a mix stage and a splitter stage. That's three preamp tubes.

No mix resistors or mix stage needed if you go into both sides of a LTPI and still use three tubes.

I would also feed the tone stack and reverb dwell pot from the plate of the first gain stage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.