What would you buy for $3000?

Cloodie

Tele-Meister
I would just buy what I already have. American Standard Tele and a Tone King Falcon Grande amp

IMG_1052.JPG

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Like others, I'd buy the parts and build my own Tele. If I had to buy off the shelf, I'd like to try a thinline Squier Paranormal Cabronita (which are under $500 at the moment).

Hmmm. That leaves me with $2500...

Amp...probably something along the lines of a Twin Reverb. New ones are $1500...that leaves me with a grand to buy cables, a stand, strap, strings and lunch...for a year.

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Parts and materials to build my own scratc-built 70s Custom. ~$800-1000

Any one of several amps:
Prosonic
Lil Dawg Deluxe, LP Tweed Twin, Bassman, 1974x, JTM 45, Studio Vintage Marshall, or Mesa 5:50 Express+

Depending on what amp:
Strymon Flint (or other Trem or Verb, depending)
OD pedal TBD if needed for the amp.
Crybaby

Nishplayer

Tele-Meister
$3000USD to spend on a Tele? And other gear? Hmmmm....I would buy a Tele from Brown Bear Guitars (already own one with birch bark veneer back and front....see avatar)....Jesse Brown builds great guitars, better even than Custom shop....and that would leave me enough left over for a nice used Fender Blues Jr. amp....

1648909359819.png
1648909811684.png

Alder body finished in 100% nitro lacquer
Maple neck with oil and wax finish satin smooth feel
Rosewood fretboard

TV Jones Starwood Tele pickups
Gotoh vintage staggered tuners
Gotoh in tune bridge
Electrosocket jack plate
Cts pot
Swtichcraft switch
Orange drop cap

25.5” scale length
10” radius fretboard
21 m/m nickel frets
0.86-0.96” neck thickness C profile
7 lbs 6oz

Ships in hard case

$2236.60 USD

1648909450712.png

$640 for good used Blues Jr. amp (in tweed)....

That leaves over a $100 USD to go celebrate....

Last edited:

KC

Friend of Leo's
American Standard or Special, used, should be able to find one for a grand. AC15c1, there's an open box one out there for $640. MXR Timmy and the best Martin you can find for the leftovers, I found an 000-18 in great shape for $1400 a while ago, 000-15m seems to float around for a decent price. That's honest-to-God enough to gig with till the end of time, at least for me, though I would swap out a Strat for the tele because that's the kind of fool I am. (Actually would swap out a Music Man Cutlass if I could find one, bought mine new / demo for a squeak under $1000 but that was in the Before Times.)

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Player Series Tele SS and mod it with a 4-way switch and rotate the control plate V-T-Switch to the rear. Or a used G&L modded the same way.

Peavey Bandit amp for loud playing as a "Mississippi Marshall", and a smaller amp with programmable presets and quick tuner for punching in practice with zero tone futzing.

Joyo American Sound pedal and $25 versions of TS, RAT, Klon, Fuzz Face, a used Boss DS-1, and a low cost looper like a Ditto Mini (I have a Kokko FLP2 that is the same and only $35 new).

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Been there and already done that.

Only difference is, I did my buying 2006-2009. Wow did the $ 3,000 and more go further, back then. These days, I think I would just borrow stuff from family and friends until the prices came down. Prices be cray right now.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
I’d get an MIM Telecaster, a Fender Champion 40 amp and some fender medium picks. I’m a simple man and I know what works for me.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Maguchi, I have had two of those SD-1's. Still have one. Did have a MIJ one, but I stepped on my buddies FDII and broke it, so I gave him the SD-1, and then bought another MIC one.

I would buy the stuff in this video that I used to have. The only thing I have left in this chain are a couple of pedals. The Swamp Tone!