1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What would be the best upgrade from a Fender Super Champ X2 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telefan33, Oct 26, 2020.

1. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Get the 65 Princeton RI.

Seriously, just do it. You will not regret it. For what you stated you are looking for, the Princeton fits the bill. The more you play it, the better it sounds. It does not disappoint. No matter what I do with my other amps, my Princeton is my forever / keeper. Whether original, RI, or clone, they are great amps. Get it.

- Bob

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

^^^this. If you like the PRRI, want clean, don't want loud, and don't want a real PR or a clone, get the PRRI. If you're heading out into Tweaker v. Mesa v. Fender v. ???? wilderness, an online forum isn't gonna help.

BTW the commonest simplest 'upgrade' to a PRRI can be a speaker swap. Don't ask yet "to what" -- :):) -- just know there are so many options if you don't fall in love with the reissue Jensen after it's broken in.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  3. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

You mentioned you're looking for cleans and the Princeton will deliver great Fender Cleans at home. If you're gigging it will probably not give you enough clean headroom unless you mic it. I use a Lil Dawg Wonderdawg its basically a 25 watt Deluxe/Super reverb in a Princeton sized cabinet. It also has a mid knob so you can scoop em or crank em. No tremelo but a ton of reverb.

5. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I bought an Egnater Tweaker 112 cabinet for my Egnater Tweaker 15 head. I have a few amps I’m thinking of letting go before I can make room for another amp. For now I’m going to swap the Fender Super Champ X2 for my new Egnater. I bought the Egnater Tweaker this summer because I always wanted one and it sounds better than I remember. I like my Super Champ X2 but I have grown tired of channel 1 and I’m not a fan of channel 2. The Egnater should bring me some entertainment until I can figure out which amps I’m keeping and selling.

6. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

65PRRI1.jpg 65PRRI2.jpg I am VERY happy with my '65 PRRI for home use.It came with a 12" Jensen.

jjmmuir likes this.
  7. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

I wouldn’t overthink it too much. The 65 PRRI is a fantastic amp, that you’ll be able to try in stores. It’s a noticeable upgrade to the super champ you have which is what you’re after. There’s no need to go hand wired or boutique in my opinion given your first post. Yes, there could be incremental gains but the waters will muddy significantly if you extend your search in that way. Try a 65 PRRI, if you love it (which you probably will), grab one. If there are aspects you want to change, you can consider that going forward. But rest assured there’ll be a significant period of time where you’ll just sit back, play your guitar and smile with your eyes closed :)

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Telefan33 - based on what you have said you are looking for in terms of tone, capabilities, and features, the 65 PRRI is an excellent choice. I have quite a few amps and have owned many over the past 50 years. Still have a SFVC, non-master early SFDR and SFSR plus some tweeds. Had a wonderful well- used DRRI and gave it to my grandson.....and based on great experience with that one, bought one of the early 65 PRRI's. It is a terrific toneful amp and is probably the most useful/versatile amp that I own.

The 65 Reissue series are good amps. Like any tube amp, make sure it has good tubes and is properly biased. I happen to like NOS tubes, but they aren't necessary. To repeat, bias is important to achieving optimal tone. Also, make sure to allow plenty of time for the stock speaker to break in before thinking about changing it. Once broken in, I think the stock Jensen is just fine. And, anyone who says the the PCB reissue Fenders can't be repaired is wrong. Not quite as easy as old BF/SF PTP amps, but not that difficult. (My old DRRI required a couple of repairs that were not the fault of the amp). There are tons of Reissue Fenders out there, and many forget that the Reissue 65 DR and TR models have now been in production quite a bit longer that the Blackface and Silverface originals....combined

Good luck with your search!

9. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

How about a Tone King Imperial MK II, great cleans and the iron man allows you to play at any volume and sound great.

I know it’s not a fender, but it’s Fenderish, and it should last forever. The one downside is cost, but you can’t have everything!

if not that, I would want one of the new hand wired Fender PR. Those should last a long time too, and look to be nice amps.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What is your problem?

stevemc and Coloradotwanger like this.
  11. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

Here are a list of my amps I currently have in my guitar/amp/studio room:
    - Fender Super Champ X2 combo
    - Peavey 6505MH
    - Marshall MX112 cabinet
    - Electro-Harmonix Dirt Road Special
    - Marshall Origin 50 H
    - Marshall Origin 212 cabinet
    - Electro-Harmonix MIG-50
    - Electro-Harmonix 212 cab
    - Egnater Tweaker Head
    - Eganter 112x

I have purchased these all within the last 10 years. I went with having my options open versus having just one good amp. I’m considering downsizing but I’m pretty happy with what I got ATM.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    LPTyler likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I meant semi-all tube amp :lol:

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A guy on eBay recognized that market and sells bigger 12" cabs. Any kind of Tolex or tweed.

stantheman likes this.
  14. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

C'mon, stantheman! Tell us how you REALLY feel! :rolleyes::D:cool:

stantheman likes this.
  15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I have the precursor of the SCX2, a SCXD. A speaker upgrade can do tremendous good to the sound of these little amps. I replaced the stock speaker in mine with a JBL D110F, which made it a much bigger sounding amp. A while later, I had a Weber F150 12 inch speaker obtained in a trade. I rehoused the SCXD in an unfinished PRRI cab and put the Weber in it. Even compared with the JBL in the stock cab, the 12 in a larger cab really opened up the sound and range of the amp. It is possible to upgrade the speaker and cab size for considerably less than $300- just another option.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  16. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I recently got a 65 deluxe Reverb reissue. I love it. And despite what so many have said to the contrary it’s a great amp for home use. Yeah I don’t turn it up past 4, and I tend to use the 2nd input. But it sounds amazing. And you can’t beat the spring reverb.

Coloradotwanger and jjmmuir like this.
  17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Princeton reissue.. either 65 or 68. Attenuator. Done.

I've got a 68, swapped speaker, bypassed the bass pot resister, brake lite attenuator.. really great home set up, and great in the studio as well. Thick, crunchy or clean, versatile. My perfect amp. I'm never satisfied with gear, this is the exception.

Coloradotwanger and jjmmuir like this.
  18. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

Another thing —the 68 vibrolux and the deluxe both have a considerably higher noise floor than the princeton. At band volumes this isn’t a problem but when playing quietly the hiss annoyed me in both these amps.
    BUt yes they both sound ok at low volumes but are crying out to be turned up. The princeton on the other hand sounds great at respectable volumes.

19. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

Have to echo that last sentence...I’ve been buying and selling gear for ages as well. For me, it’s a perfect little amp

20. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

You’ve got some great responses here. Many have recommended the princeton. Why not, go and try it? If you don’t like it, you can keep searching...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.