1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What would be the best upgrade from a Fender Super Champ X2 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telefan33, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

Owned this amp for almost as long as it has been available. It is pretty good but I have been a/bing it between a Marshall Origin 50 H and it isn't in the same league. I have a few other amps but I really like Fender cleans. So I'm thinking either getting a 65 Princeton or something else? Don't get me wrong I don't really plan to use these in a rig together I just plug my Super Champ X2 for bedroom volume and when I can I use the Origin 50. What would be a good low volume all tube Fender combo amp for recording and practice?

I should also mentioned im looking for cleans not dimed overdrive sound!

Telecaster88, jjmmuir and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Which amp isn't in the same league? ( with the other)
    The SCXD or the Marshall, I could not tell from your statement.

I've owned and has to sell ( needed the $$) a real '68 Deluxe Reverb, and it was just fantastic- big and clean with JJ 6V6's and a 120W rated Eminence speaker.

Now a buddy of mine owns both a '70's Princeton Reverb and a SCXD loves both - I happen to think the clean channel on the SCXD sounds pretty close to the Princeton.
    I guess I'm saying a Princeton Reverb RI or a Deluxe Reverb RI would be the ticket.
    They just cost too much, for me.

I got a used Frontman 25R in March, put in an EMI Legend 1058 in it and it has become my 'fake BF Clean Fender' for small gigs and I love it. My old blond Blues Jr. is my 'big gig amp'

I'm just no longer in that 'need to have a tube amp' mode.
    My Frontman or Pathfinder get the gigs, as they sound great and were insanely cheap.

stepvan likes this.
  3. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I think the Marshall Origin 50 H is in a different league than the Super Champ X2. I'm not talking apples and oranges either. I was thinking a 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue would be a better match if I was to have two main amps that I want to use.

Tried solid state and I just don't like them after a few months. I own a EHX Dirt Road Special and it just doesn't get much use anymore. As much as I like the idea of Mini Heads (I own a Egnater Tweaker and 6505MH) I prefer bigger amp heads and combo amps. I have a MIG 50 and that really is too much so I'm not talking "I like big amps". I just like amps that get the job done for multiple uses.

After reading what I just typed I might try the '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb or Deluxe Reverb.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

OK. So I have played a ‘65 Princeton Reverb Reissue, Deluxe Reverb Reissue and Twin Reverb Reissue. I though the Princeton Reverb and Twin Reverb had the same vibe at low volumes. The Deluxe Reverb kind of had its own vibe. I really like the natural compression from the cabinet of the DRRI at around 4-5 on the volume.

I don’t think I could go wrong with any of these amps so it is hard to choose. The Twin Reverb is out of the question though and I’m not interested in the Tone Master.

How does the ‘68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb compare to the amps I mentioned in this post?

5. jjmmuir

jjmmuir TDPRI Member

Hey man, I was in your exact situation about a year ago. I was forced into the upgrade as my x2 stopped working (they are super expensive to fix) but I was considering it for some time before that.
    After an exhaustive search, I went for the 65 princeton reissue. You might go through a few sending them back with a buzzing front grill but when they work — they are a thing of beauty. Unlike the deluxe which needs to be turned up to sing, the princeton is perfect for the home. Sounds great even at 2.5. The tremolo is much better than the deluxe as well. It’s a wonderful amp, and for the home there isn’t anything better in the mass produced market that I’ve seen. Shimmering, bell-like, harmonically rich cleans all day long.

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

A Reissue Deluxe Reverb IS NOT a Deluxe Reverb NOR will it ever be PERIOD.

If You are going to run with The Big Dogs You have to get off the porch.

Every single Reissue Fender has made ever is DOO-DOO.

Doo-Doo...

Every last one of them.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I think you already have a good low volume all tube Fender combo amp for recording and practice.

IMO, the SCX2 with good glass and a good speaker sounds at least 90% like a PR. The PR's advantages are a slightly richer tone and real Fender spring reverb, but... buying a PRRI is a lot of money to get a little improvement. The PRRI won't have the USB and line out interfaces the SCX2 has for recording, unless you always mic the amp for that.

Likely the '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb or Deluxe Reverb will sound fine at low volumes, but beware that they are loud when turned up and they sound better that way. The '68 should sound cleanish at low volume, but it's not designed for clean. The tone stacks and NFBs of the '68 Custom series are intended for early breakup.

drlucky likes this.
  8. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

My Super Champ X2 has been good to me but I want something that will last a lifetime. I have already upgraded the tubes to EHX and I still think the amp is going to crap out on me but it hasn’t.

The 65 PRRI has been the goal for a long time now so I guess I just got to save for one and just get it and stop trying to tell myself that the Super Champ X2 is “good enough”.

9. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

If it’s a lifetime amp, how about skipping on the Reissue and getting a builder to make you a hand-wired PR?

Or better yet, build it yourself!

10. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I’m saving for the 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue. Like I have been saying I always really wanted one but just never got one. The more I read about the 68 Custom series the less I’m interested. I just want classic Fender tone without breaking the bank and my back.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  11. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Check out the new Fender Tone Master series. Great sounding and super light weight.

jjmmuir, LPTyler and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

OP is not interested in the Tone Master, wants a tube amp.

A real hard-wired Princeton Reverb ( or clone) sounds like what he really wants.

( I'd love one too!- especially after knowing a great amp tech, there's comfort in knowing you can keep a hard-wired tube amp alive forever. I know a great amp tech- just don't have the amp, Ha!)

Edit- ( used to own an awesome '68 Deluxe Reverb)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

For the money I would rather get a 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue than a Tone Master Twin Reverb. Like I said this is more for recording and multi purpose. Also I'm thinking I could use my Super Champ X2 and a 65 Princeton Reverb RI in Stereo. Definitely getting the Reissue.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  14. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I understand your situation for sure. I have had a SCx2 for years and one of the first things I did was to buy a cab with a 12” speaker. It really makes a big difference. I played with a guy who had a PRRI and it was very hard to tell the difference. Except the cost. I paid $250 for a dovetailed pine cab, $60 for an Eminence speaker and $300 for the SC. At around $600 total not bad for a great Fender sound.

guitarmikey likes this.
  15. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Get a Champ. Fairly inexpensive, easy to repair, probably last forever. Even better, DIY/kit options.

Wyzsard, Telecaster88 and stantheman like this.
  16. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I have demoed a SCX2 side by side with 65PRRI it wasn't night and day difference but the Princeton Reverb I liked more. I thought the Super Champ X2 was better for the money at the time. I did a tube change to EHX when needed and it sounds fine. I actually decided against a speaker change or ext cab because I thought it sounded good as is TBH.

The SCX2 is made in Mexico and $400. While the 65 Princeton Reverb RI is more than twice the price at $1000 it is still a good purchase because I really love the tone.

My Squier CV50 Tele BSB was like $350 when I got it but an American Original 50s is many times that price. I think I can let it slide by being generous to myself and getting the Princeton. I plan this purchase for next year and it will probably be the last thing I need for long time. I actually am trying to cut back on buying gear this decade and just make wise purchases on stuff I need.

stevemc, Bob M and Telecaster88 like this.
  17. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I smell a Market for Super Champ Cabinets with a Baffle for a 12" Speaker...
    Fender didn't want anyone to do anything remotely cerebral - but there's a
    growing concensus that a 12" Super Champ Combo would've been the smart
    move. Fender of course did "the shareholder move.":rolleyes::lol:

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For at home I'd go with the Princeton Reverb RI. I love the DR but you dont need that much volume at home. The PR will be clean enough at home. Or buy a PR someone has built!

19. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I was pretty much in your shoes. Have an SCX2 that I love, but hearing stories about them crapping out and being unrepairable nagged at me. After lots of deliberation I decided the 65 PRRI would be my next amp if/when it was necessary to replace the SCX2.

Then, out of the blue, I got a line on a really clean, recently recapped 1975 Champ (at half the price of a new PRRI) ... And as soon as I plugged in, I knew I was taking it home. My problem was solved. It's all tube, handwired, easy to diagnose and fix if necessary, and sounds amazing for low volume cleans. I put a Topanga in front of it for a Fendery reverb, and voilà.

I know you've decided on a PRRI, and really I'm sure you can't go wrong with that choice... But if one pops up, consider an SF Champ. They're great little amps.

Treehouse likes this.
  20. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I'll be honest you all don't seem to thrilled with the 65 PRRI what else would you recommend? I'm not thinking of getting or building a clone. Is something like the Mesa Boogie Fillmore a better option? I have a Egnater Tweaker that would benefit a cabinet upgrade to the regular matching cabinet? Anybody prefer the Tweaker over a Princeton?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.