What would and finish technique for this?

Rufer

TDPRI Member
Hello all,
I clicked by this on Rick Kelly’s custom page. What wood and finishing techniques would you use to approximate something like this? Thanks for your help.
57297957-4E21-4471-B8DA-1FA828C5A248.jpeg

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Totally. Will do. This seems like very practical advice and I’ll be sure to follow it.

But let’s say you were the impulsive type (not you nor me, clearly) - where would you start?

Since I would be using stains directly into the wood I would start by practicing on scraps of the same wood until I had it nailed before every touching my guitar body.

I'll add that yours may not be stains, I don't know. It might be in the finish itself. If so you stand a chance of sanding it off if you don't like it and starting over. You don't have that option with stains.

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
If you would like the grain to "pop" research ceruse finish to get some ideas. Using a darker water-based stain (after sanding smooth) will sink deeper into the open grain then you sand that back revealing the accented grain then you can use the finish of your choice for clear.

Slowtwitch

Tele-Holic
For the deep grain look you need to accentuate it by sanding the soft grain areas more, scraping them using a sharp knife/ chisels/ whatever.

I did this Ash body guitar by using dye (not stain), 1 light coat of sanding sealer and a final satin clear coat (I did 2k poly for that's what my mate wanted). You've got 1 chance at it, no sanding or polishing afterwards. If you screw it up you fill the grain IMG_20210619_080226.jpg

Rufer

TDPRI Member
For the deep grain look you need to accentuate it by sanding the soft grain areas more, scraping them using a sharp knife/ chisels/ whatever.

I did this Ash body guitar by using dye (not stain), 1 light coat of sanding sealer and a final satin clear coat (I did 2k poly for that's what my mate wanted). You've got 1 chance at it, no sanding or polishing afterwards. If you screw it up you fill the grain
Excellent. Thank you for sharing. Your example turned out great.

Your advice is similar to eallen’s above (sand to 400) but I can see taking the sanding a little further in the grainy areas. I’d have to build up some courage to use a chisel.

Can you explain what you mean about your “1 chance” caution? Do you mean after you apply the sealer, you won’t ever be able to strip it back and work the grain if the first attempt wasn’t successful?

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
If you really want the grain to pop you can use a stainless wire brush before sanding. Then Golden Oak Danish Oil.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. I was thinking a soft-brass wire brush, then sand with sandpaper over a folded up towel rather than a sanding block. Definitely test a scrap to see if results meet the target.

Slowtwitch

Tele-Holic
Excellent. Thank you for sharing. Your example turned out great.

Your advice is similar to eallen’s above (sand to 400) but I can see taking the sanding a little further in the grainy areas. I’d have to build up some courage to use a chisel.

Can you explain what you mean about your “1 chance” caution? Do you mean after you apply the sealer, you won’t ever be able to strip it back and work the grain if the first attempt wasn’t successful?
I actually can't remember if I really applied a sealer, might have just been the clear.

In any case, what I meant was: to get the look, it has to be a thin finish. Any paint will fill the open grain areas to some degree. The more coats you apply the less you will get the right effect. And with a satin finish you can't sand it -you add matting agent (I think it's called) to the clear when u spray. So if u stuff the spray job up, you can't sand it back and respray since you will be filling the grain. So if you sand back, you'll have to REALLY sand back and start all over again.

Here's a pic of the body doing the

Slowtwitch

Tele-Holic
I used very coarse sand paper, screwdriver wrapped in sandpaper, some use a wire brush, but wirebrush doesn't work for those thin lines. A piece of wire....anything to scratch/ scrape out the soft wood IMG_20210117_170105.jpg IMG_20210619_080143.jpg

Slowtwitch

Tele-Holic
And the sample pic in the first post does have a proper finish, not just an oil. I would go with a paint finish not a oil personally, but that's me to get the look
All of these are samples by Veritas guitars, all painted Screenshot from 2021-01-09 14-59-17.png Screenshot from 2021-01-09 14-59-30.png Screenshot from 2021-01-13 21-00-42.png Screenshot from 2021-01-15 17-42-46.png